Thread: Auxiliary TS fence to trim large drawer boxes

Auxiliary TS fence to trim large drawer boxes

Years ago, I got a great deal on some pre-finished maple dovetailed drawer boxes (half blind at all corners) from a commercial shop in the area. I have used them to build tool storage for the shop and plan to build some storage for my son's apartment.

The only suitable boxes are 3 of 24w X 21d X 7 1/8h plus one more that is 4 1/8h. I would like to trim the heights of 2 larger ones so each will have different heights. Combined heights of drawer boxes will be 22 7/8 if I take off 7/8" and 1 3/4" from two of them which will also preserve a half pin at the top of each corner.

My guess is that trimming the drawers would best be done on the table saw. I could saw thru the first 3 sides, shim the gap and only partially cut through the fourth side finishing with a hand saw. My question is how tall should the auxiliary fence be. Also, can anyone suggest plans for the construction so that it will be versatile for use later? I have plenty of BB plywood and have both the original SawStop fence and one with tracks for attaching jigs. Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Why not set your current table saw fence to the height you want and put the bottom of your drawer against the fence? Make a cut, rotate, make a cut, rotate, make a cut, rotate, make final cut.
    I have done this with my stock fence that is probably 3-4" tall.

I agree with Matthew...and don't understand what the aux fence your proposing would do?

I would do as Matthew said - just run all 4 sides through with the bottom against the fence. It sounds like you're worried about making the 4th (final) cut, but I don't think that's anything to worry about.

As suggested above, just register bottom of drawer off the fence. The fourth cut is fine.

Had a boss that used to bitch the drawer order every dam time..

I cut the tops off of boxes with just the rip fence all the time. Set height of blade to just a hair under the thickness you are cutting. Then cut through with a razor knife after sawing. Make sure your rip fence is quite parallel to blade and you will need minimal cleanup.
    Last edited by Jerry Wright; 02-28-2020 at 9:52 AM. Reason: Typos
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I,also, trim drawer heights on the table saw often. No special fences, shims or other accoutrements. I set the blade to the thickness of the wood and make four quick rips.