Thread: Woodworking conventions

Woodworking conventions

I attended the AWFS show last year and quite enjoyed it. However, when I go to the AWFS website, it mentions 2021 and not 2020 for the next show. I thought this was a yearly event?
    Are there other good conventions for woodworking hobbyists who are looking to see/try various tools?
    Thanks in advance!

AWFS AND IWF alternate years:

https://iwfatlanta.com/The%20Show/ShowInfo
    JR

I clicked thinking this was a thread about the way we typical do thing in woodworking and if we should challenge some of them.

That would be an interesting thread.

JR Nailed it....alternate years; Atlanta one year; Vegas the next, rinse, repeat...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you are going to IWF Atlanta,) try to book a hotel that is close to MARTA. In the past, when flying in, we stayed on Sidney Marcus Blvd. Bus stopped at foot of stairs, and took us to Marta station. Took Marta to Five Points, transferred to west bound. IWF was next station. Marta starts in airport, so there was no need for a car. Several hotels in Buckhead / Sandy Springs area are close enough to walk to Marta station. After twenty years of going, we decided to not go this year.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-27-2020 at 8:46 PM.

Is IWF worth going for a hobby woodworker? Usually a trade show requires you to work for a company in he industry, and even on IWF has 'Company' as a required field. Ironically the 'who should attend' lists hobbyist as someone that would benefit from attending.

Justin, I've been to a couple of them and yes, I think there is value to the hobbyist in that it brings exposure to a lot of gear and tools that they might not know about or have seen up close...there's never harm in learning something new. That doesn't mean one must be interested in buying things...learning can be independent of that. "Big stuff" isn't the only thing at these shows, either...there are tons of manufacturers and vendors for hardware and other related things to see, touch and talk about. Sometimes it's pretty kewel to see with your own eyes that this woodworking thing is far bigger than what we all do in our more modest efforts and it can be stimulating and inspiring. It can really be a great experience if you can get one or more others to go with you for some camaraderie, too. The small touring shows really don't have all that much to offer anymore. IWF and AWF at least bring opportunity to see a lot of stuff and get a lot of exercise. You need days to see everything rather than an hour like in most of the small shows.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-03-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...