Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indecision paralysis: workbench edition

I have an 8' long split top Ruobo style and typically work on house-sized furniture projects. I'm guessing a 6' long bench would work, but I am glad for the extra 2' of length to use for whatever. My bench is freestanding so I can use all sides of it and can have a couple of things (with their associated tools out) going on at the same time if I want to. Would a 10' long bench fall into the same category? Could be, but I won't know about it. I'll bet most benches fall between the 6' and 8' length and work well. Best pick a size and get started Andy, we are waiting for bench project photos.
    David

Assembly has been mentioned several times here in relation to bench size. Back when I was making furniture with the same size bench I have now, 24" x 60", the 24" width was an aid in getting at clamp handles and positioning clamps. Combined with a pipe clamp fixture I made even a 6 drawer low boy could be easily accommodated.

I took a 2x6x72 and drilled 3/4" holes every 6" down its exact middle, then ripped down the center line yielding two lengths with half circle cut-outs. Glued and screwed those to the outer edges of a 36"x 72" piece of 3/4 melamine board. Held the clamps from drifting and high enough above the fixture sides to let the work piece sit on the clamps, if necessary for alignment. One could just as easily cut slits for bar clamps.

I also had a torsion box outfeed table that did double duty as an assembly table.

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Assembly has been mentioned several times here in relation to bench size. Back when I was making furniture with the same size bench I have now, 24" x 60", the 24" width was an aid in getting at clamp handles and positioning clamps. Combined with a pipe clamp fixture I made even a 6 drawer low boy could be easily accommodated.

I took a 2x6x72 and drilled 3/4" holes every 6" down its exact middle, then ripped down the center line yielding two lengths with half circle cut-outs. Glued and screwed those to the outer edges of a 36"x 72" piece of 3/4 melamine board. Held the clamps from drifting and high enough above the fixture sides to let the work piece sit on the clamps, if necessary for alignment. One could just as easily cut slits for bar clamps.

I also had a torsion box outfeed table that did double duty as an assembly table.
    Yea, both of these are great solutions if you're lacking room for a dedicated assembly table. I only mentioned it because it was the sole limitation I ran into
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

IMHO, the right workbench is highly personal and dependent on what you work on and how you like to work.

My preferred size, location, vise type & positioning, storage solution are all right for me only. This has been revealed to me over time.

So, I humbly suggest you build per your current instinct - but in a way that will leave you emotional and financial flexibility to change or scrap as your preferences evolve.

One thing I would say is build for utility - not aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    My preferred size, location, vise type & positioning, storage solution are all right for me only. This has been revealed to me over time.
    How did you discover this, without building them?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I can only say that I am on my third bench since 2002. This one may be a keeper but, I'm not sure. Some things do not need to be stressed over quite so much. This won't be your last bench or router bit or hand plane, just pick one ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Andy, Not knowing your direction for what you will build makes for a hard decision. Tom Bussey, on this forum, built a really nice bench. One more traditional on one side and more English on the other. Ken Hatch has some expertise with Moravian style, also on this forum. For my latest bench I chose a Noden Adjust a Bench, a necessity for me. I think that anything over 8 feet makes it difficult if you plan to work on both sides. It may not seem like it but it’s a long way around a 12 footer or even a 10 footer. Good luck on trying for a Swiss Army knife bench.

Or...just go out and build a bench..
    Clear the bench. all done.JPG
    What I have been using..for a few years..

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Andy, Not knowing your direction for what you will build makes for a hard decision. Tom Bussey, on this forum, built a really nice bench. One more traditional on one side and more English on the other. Ken Hatch has some expertise with Moravian style, also on this forum. For my latest bench I chose a Noden Adjust a Bench, a necessity for me. I think that anything over 8 feet makes it difficult if you plan to work on both sides. It may not seem like it but it’s a long way around a 12 footer or even a 10 footer. Good luck on trying for a Swiss Army knife bench.
    I'm definitely not going more than 8': more than that and I'll just start pushing everything to one end instead of putting it away.

Just at the moment (I may well change my mind four times in the next 10 minutes) I'm leaning towards using the oak, using the metal screw I have for a leg vise, and making a wood screw for a traditional tail vise. It would mean a minimum of new material to purchase, and a much quicker bench than trying to laminate a top.

We'll see what I do! I've got to finish the cabinets I'm making first, but I think (hope) I'm going to have that done this weekend. We've got a lot scheduled, but I should be able to fit it in.

"How did you discover this, without building them?"

I said, "
    So, I humbly suggest you build per your current instinct - but in a way that will leave you emotional and financial flexibility to change or scrap as your preferences evolve."

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    "How did you discover this, without building them?"

I said, "
    So, I humbly suggest you build per your current instinct - but in a way that will leave you emotional and financial flexibility to change or scrap as your preferences evolve."
    I still do not fully understand what you mean, but English isn't my first language.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I still do not fully understand what you mean, but English isn't my first language.
    English is a weird language. What he means, I think, is that he built a bunch of cheap benches to see what he liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McKenzie View Post
    English is a weird language. What he means, I think, is that he built a bunch of cheap benches to see what he liked.
    Thanks. It is, I've spoken it daily for decades now. It can be so vague as to appear to say nothing at times
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

That it can!

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Thanks. It is, I've spoken it daily for decades now. It can be so vague as to appear to say nothing at times
    Makes it easy to run for Congress, doesn't it

That is actually the third bench I have built..not counting tablesaw-bench.....they were either too lightweight....or too narrow...first one was almost the same as what Harbor Freight sells, now-a-days....without the drawers....