Thread: 3HP DC on 15' Flexible Hose?

3HP DC on 15' Flexible Hose?

Hi,

I have the opportunity to get a 3HP cyclone DC (240v, HEPA cartridge, 7" dia. inlet, 9" dia. discharge). That's the good news. Bad news is my shop situation is up in the air right now so I can't add ducting and drops at this time.

Would there be a problem if I connect a 3HP DC to 5" (or 6") x 15' flexible hose and move it from tool to tool?

I know it's not ideal, but I'm interested in this work-around because of the potential to grow into a 3HP DC. I don't mind the inconvenience of moving tool to tool. My tools are your typical weekend warrior assortment of woodworking tools - planer, jobsite TS, router table, DeWalt RAS, 12" disk/6"x48" belt combo sander - all on mobile bases. Just wondering if there is any downside to running a DC that is admittedly oversized to my current situation for the time being.

Thanks for the help.

From your list of tools I think your main limitation will be the ports/hoods on those. In that case the difference between a length of hose and an elaborate duct will be negligible.

What make & model is the DC?

What size are your machine ports?

I think the downside is the possibility that you will be disappointed when you switch to a full shop ducting arrangement unless you do a really good job with it.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

You will have zero problems other then the obvious hassle of moving the hose. A true 3hp collector has plenty of grunt to overcome 15' of flex. As said before the limitation will be the ports.
    Last edited by jeff norris 2011; 02-27-2020 at 1:14 PM.

That's what I use on my job site setup, and it works fine.

Blog Entries
    Dragging around & stumbling over that flex will get old in a big hurry. But it will certainly work. You could always put up a basic duct setup & then take it with you.

David, Jeff, Tom, & Frank – Thank you for the replies.

David – the 3HP DC is Oneida. My tool ports are 4” (on planer and disk/belt sander) and 2” (on Bosch 4100 TS and DeWalt 735 planer). I already own a HF 2HP (although it probably more like 1.5HP) that I modified with Super Dust Deputy and Wynn cartridge. But I’m thinking a 3HP Oneida will still be a significant upgrade even with the limitations of the smaller diameter dust ports on my tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray View Post
    David, Jeff, Tom, & Frank – Thank you for the replies.

David – the 3HP DC is Oneida. My tool ports are 4” (on planer and disk/belt sander) and 2” (on Bosch 4100 TS and DeWalt 735 planer). I already own a HF 2HP (although it probably more like 1.5HP) that I modified with Super Dust Deputy and Wynn cartridge. But I’m thinking a 3HP Oneida will still be a significant upgrade even with the limitations of the smaller diameter dust ports on my tools.
    V-3000? Whatever it is it will be a improvement over the HF. The almost 2x increase in static pressure will make about 30% better flowrate on your 2" ports.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.

Blog Entries
    David - firstly, thank you for consistently chiming in on these topics, it is clear that you are knowledgeable and we all appreciate it!

Secondly, since you mentioned the 2" ports above.... I've really found (no science, just what I have witnessed) that results (regardless of which DC... 3hp models, HF 2 hp models, friends' models, my own etc.) are soooooo much better if I can keep the collection hose at 4" or larger. In other words, every attempt I've seen to go smaller than 4" has resulted in such a big drop off in performance that I ended up modifying all my stationary tools to be at least 4" (and 6" where feasible). Anything that must stay smaller (namely handled power tools) are hooked to a shop vac setup with it's own mini-separator.

I guess the bell is rung now (I've already made the changes and am happy with them) but I'm curious if I gave up on 2" or 2.5" too soon, or did I take a wise path?

Thanks!

Bob R.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I'm happy with my 1.5HP blower + SDD + HEPA filter, as I think you are, but I think the answer to "should I accept this fantastic steal on a 3HP oneida?" is unquestionably yes. Wire-reinforced hose doesn't collapse that easily.

I wonder if you could modify the Bosch 4100 to take a 4" hose? That seems like your biggest dust source and would likely improve collection a lot, though an overarm collector would help more, but I assume you're waiting to get a contractor saw or something for an upgrade like that.

Bruce

Think you would be better off using a shop vac on the small ports. But the 3hp will work fine on the larger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    David - firstly, thank you for consistently chiming in on these topics, it is clear that you are knowledgeable and we all appreciate it!

Secondly, since you mentioned the 2" ports above.... I've really found (no science, just what I have witnessed) that results (regardless of which DC... 3hp models, HF 2 hp models, friends' models, my own etc.) are soooooo much better if I can keep the collection hose at 4" or larger. In other words, every attempt I've seen to go smaller than 4" has resulted in such a big drop off in performance that I ended up modifying all my stationary tools to be at least 4" (and 6" where feasible). Anything that must stay smaller (namely handled power tools) are hooked to a shop vac setup with it's own mini-separator.

I guess the bell is rung now (I've already made the changes and am happy with them) but I'm curious if I gave up on 2" or 2.5" too soon, or did I take a wise path?

Thanks!

Bob R.
    I used the 2" ports as an example because, as the most lossy flow path, they will show the biggest improvement.

Enlarging the small ports is almost never a mistake. Yes, you took the wise path.

And, yes, a shop vac on the small ports is usually the best approach.
    Beranek's Law:

I went all-in last year and got a 5hp cyclone with a 16” impeller - tremendous overkill for my weekend garage shop. It has a 6” main port. I have been using a setup similar to what you describe, with a 20ft run of flex tubing which then goes into a splitter with two runs of 12 foot long 4” flex tubing. My stationary tools have 4” ports, 2” ports on others (router table, router boss, disc sander, etcÂ…). Eventually I will have some more permanent runs, but for now I use this setup. The cyclone pulls very, very hard indeed on both 4” lines and the dust collection is very good. Even on the 2” ports on the smaller tools it works great. The disadvantages are many, however. Moving the large, heavy flex tube is a pain, from tool-to-tool, and it’s always in the way. All the flex tubing takes up a lot of space when it is put away. Also the cyclone pulls so hard that the flex lines gets much, much shorter when the cyclone is turned on. The 6” line will shorten, come off the floor, and knock things over. Also sometimes the 4" flex tubing will simply shorten and pull straight off the vac ports of the tools – a real pain! Now I sometimes fasten the flex tubing to the tool base, or leg, with a long Velcro strap which helps it stay connected.

The big cyclone does less well with smaller handheld power tools with ports < 2”, like random orbit sanders and handeld routers. For these tools I use a shop vac, which has a heavy felt-type bag and a auto-cleaning HEPA filter. The HEPA filter stays pristine and until the bag is full it pulls much stronger than the big cyclone on these smaller tools. I like this type of shop vac more than the type with a traditional filter even in combination with a small cyclone.

SB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    I used the 2" ports as an example because, as the most lossy flow path, they will show the biggest improvement.

Enlarging the small ports is almost never a mistake. Yes, you took the wise path.

And, yes, a shop vac on the small ports is usually the best approach.

Awesome, thanks David. This is what I understood and it's good to have confirmation. Much appreciated!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Jet 1.5 DC converted to a two stage with a Super Dust Deputy XL.

I planed about 400bd/ft today. First pass was light as the boards are 5/4 rough sawn and are varying thickness.

DC worked great.