Thread: When All Goes South Sharpen Something

When All Goes South Sharpen Something

Over the years I've collected Pre-War (before mid 1930) Marples chisels. Most of the chisels have "Carver" Box wood handles but there are a few with "London" pattern handles as well. Both types are well balanced and a joy to use. For some reason, I would guess not as many London pattern were sold, the London pattern chisels are harder to find. One of the nice things about Marples chisels is there was a clear break around the early 1930's in the shape of the tang, going from a flat hammered tang in the early chisels to a round cast tang on later chisels. That's all you need to know other than how much pitting there is on the back to determine if a chisel is worth buying.

From left to right the first chisel is a Pre-War chisel with a flat tang, the second is a post mid 1930's chisel with a round tang, the third is a late model (not a clue when it was made), and the last two are early chisels.

marplesChisels.jpg

Because I've been banned from lifting more than 10 lbs for the last couple of weeks I've spent time getting a working set of Marples chisels prepped and in the chisel rack. Along with the bench chisels I also have a five chisel set of Marples pattern maker chisels that have not been used because most likely the previous owner was a carver and they all have a back bevel.

I'm still doing the "yes but" routine on what is the best way to sharpen/get rid of the back bevel on those chisels. One way is to grind 2 or 3 mm off each chisel but I hate to waste that much length. Another would be to just grind, hone, and polish the bevel and get rid of the back side wire with a strop and over the natural progression of sharpening slowly remove the back bevel. The chisel would likely not be as sharp as it could be but I expect it would be "working sharp". Whatever, unless someone can convince me otherwise I expect that will be the plan.

BTW, as stated earlier the chisels are a joy to use, very light weight, good balance, good steel that is easy to sharpen but also holds an edge, and a wonderful feel in hand. The closest modern chisels are made by Ashley Iles but while nice they are just close.

ken

Blog Entries
    If you can work with the back bevel until it is gone that may be the way to go. Otherwise you may just have to bite the bullet and say goodbye to a couple mm of metal.

This post seems to be regenerating itself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you can work with the back bevel until it is gone that may be the way to go. Otherwise you may just have to bite the bullet and say goodbye to a couple mm of metal.

This post seems to be regenerating itself.

jtk
    Jim,

I just saw that, I'm not sure how to edit/cut the extra posts.

I think I'll live with the back bevel and see how it goes. If I do it long enough problem solved.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

I just saw that, I'm not sure how to edit/cut the extra posts.

I think I'll live with the back bevel and see how it goes. If I do it long enough problem solved.

ken
    There may be a delete option when you edit a post. You could delete the text and leave a note that it was in error. Finally a note to one or the admins or moderators would likely get it done.

Your solution appears sound. If nothing else, it will provide an incentive to sharpen more often.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm down to three small Marples chisels to finish cleaning up and sharpening. It is nice seeing them in the chisel rack and ready to use. It will be even nicer to use them.

Here they are in the rack, for most of the sizes there is one bevel edge and one firmer. The larger than one inch and patternmaker/paring chisels are in the lower rack.

marplesChiselsInTheRack.jpg

There are more but most are duplicates and some post 1930's chisels plus a number of Marples chisels with London pattern handles.

This was a job I've needed doing for some time, it is good to have finished.

ken

I'm a Buck Bros man myself, but it was an old square tang Wm. Marples that showed me the light and started me moving away from socket chisels. Very nice setup you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    I'm a Buck Bros man myself, but it was an old square tang Wm. Marples that showed me the light and started me moving away from socket chisels. Very nice setup you've got.
    Jake,

The early Buck Bros were fine chisels if I hadn't started down the Marples path I'd likely have a rack full of Buck Bros.

I agree with the tang vs. socket, a tang chisel, all else being equal, will be lighter and have better balance than one with a socket. The cabinet making "old guys" knew their tools and left the socket chisels for the framers to use.

ken