Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collector for table saw?

I think the OP is off base with his observations. I often get quite a bit of dust coming off the top of the blade. Also, I do not agree with several of his observations in other threads. I would not call him a troll and hope he learns some things on the forum.

I think it’s up for debate whether the OP is trolling us or not, but if you take a look back at both the subject matter and actual details / responses he’s given in the majority of his posts it isn’t far fetched to arrive at the conclusion that he could very well be trolling us with over the top newbie questions and responses.

If he’s not a troll and truly looking for information...this forum (and the internet in general) is full of tons of valuable information on pretty much all the newbie questions he’s posted about if he would simply look. Then again, some folks just say or type whatever is on their minds with no filter or prior research, which is not something I can identify with.
    Still waters run deep.

We're not in middle school anymore, so...enough of the "troll talk", please. It doesn't really matter. Quality answers still help others over time regardless.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Noted.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Frank,

Your are forgetting about option C. That he will quit because of people that are rude and unwilling to help him get answers to his questions. I myself have asked basic questions. Sure I could have looked on Youtube, but feel that Youtube is not the best place for answers. Just because you feel his questions are "ridiculous" does not mean he should not ask them.
    I did think hard before posting that. I truly believe, after reading his posts on this & other threads, that he does need to take a pause & let his learning catch up before he hurts himself. I didn't intend to say that ridiculous questions shouldn't be asked, but that the nature of the questions revealed his lack of understanding about things he was doing. It's like you should arm yourself with some basic knowledge about driving before you start driving & then ask the questions.

Even if you did not have a DC in your shop, using a shark guard with a shop vac would be a huge improvement when using a table saw. I remember getting dust in my eye before getting the shark guard, even though I had the cabinet on my unisaw hooked up to the DC.

Hey Travis,

I come from the generation of woodworkers before dust collection was available. My trusty Unisaw has no dust collection port at all. I shoveled it out when the sawdust was knee deep. I think I am suffering some consequences. There are several levels of improvement. The lowest level is the automated cabinet shovel. This dust collection system draws out the coarse saw dust from the bottom of the cabinet that otherwise would have collected there by gravity. It saves shoveling but does not reduce exposure to fine dust. The next level focuses on the dust above the table. I think an overarm collector with high volumetric flow addresses most of the fine dust release. The highest level of dust collection is to collect at the blade. A shroud that focuses air flow across the gullets pulls the dust, both fine and coarse, toward collection. This is the goal, to collect dust close to the source. You collect more dust for less effort that way. I cannot regain the lung function I have lost to dust. You are younger. Lower dust levels in every way possible.

TW

He is coming form a more then 100 year old perspective. I looked and did not find a picture I have seen of the Greene & Greene workshop with sawdust piled about one foot high around the machines. I did find a more modern view with dust collection and separate electric motors for each machines. Still this was probably all before WW1.
    In metal working chip conveyers are still the best option.
    Bil lD

Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-02-2020 at 8:14 PM.