• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Rod, I've heard it said quite often that people wear the mask wrong, never understood how you wear it wrong. I understand that it makes more sense for those who are sick to wear masks to avoid spreading the virus and the virus is more often spread by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your nose, mouth or eyes than breathing in airborne virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Well, the health pros have made some big mistakes. If you don't believe me ,ask the owners of a certain beer company.
    OK, I'm curious what beer company and what's the story?

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    That is incorrect. A number of the dead were young healthy people. For example, the thirty something year old physician trying to treat patients in Wuhan.
    Liu Zhiming, 51, director of Wuchang Hospital in Wuhan, Li Wenliang, 33, ophthalmologist and coronavirus whistleblower at Wuhan Central Hospital to name a couple.

Both were reported to be in decent health prior to contracting the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    OK, I'm curious what beer company and what's the story?
    CORONA beer. I'm betting sales are down. Would not be the first time some like named product took a hit.

Just looked it up. Sales are way down.

CORONA beer. I'm betting sales are down. Would not be the first time some like named product took a hit.
    So, because people are stupid.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

OK, but not a big mistake by the health pros, just an unfortunate choice of names by the company and as Mike said the reaction of a bunch of stupid people relating the name of a beer to an unrelated virus.

A few years ago, I read about the influenza death tolls in Philadelphia in the past. 10% of the city population in 1787. In the winter of 1918 to 1919, there were not enough healthy grave diggers and corpses were stacked in warehouses until they could be buried, sometimes weeks while the ground was frozen. Whole families were wiped out.

I know that the CDC has been constantly planning for the even of a Pandemic. But who knows if the experts left some consideration out that could prove catastrophic. I hate to depend on the government to protect us (Like so many Germans in the 1930's trusted their government to protect them) So far some of the measures seem like overkill, but we don't know enough about it. My wife treats people with Corona virus at the hospital. But so far no one with the Chinese variant. (yes Corona refers to a family of viruses, not just one.) When I was six years old, my father and I got the mumps at the same time. The city came by and quarantined the entire household. relatives brought groceries and set them on the porch and left. The quarantine lasted over a week. The doctor finally came by and cleared the quarantine, yet kids in the neighborhood were not permitted to us for another few weeks by their parents. Apparently there was a fairly stiff fine for breaking quarantine. I live back a long lane isolated from the rest of the community. I have three freezers full of food. I could get along quite well in a quarantine. The problem would be that my Mrs. can be called in for emergencies and when the facilities are at maximum patient load. They are at that today without the Chinese corona virus. Our health care system is bogged down to capacity with drug overdoses and other self destructive people. The number of extremely obese patients has sky rocketed. She had two over 500 pounds last week. They refuse to take their meds, and know they will end up in the hospital where they get waited on hand and foot. (usually at tax payer expense)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    (Like so many Germans in the 1930's trusted their government to protect them)
    This is probably a bad place to go.. especially since I'm also German (and not as in German heritage). You would likely not like where that topic leads.

For those confused about the name, corona is Latin for crown. Since Spanish is derived, it also means crown. It describes the virus shape.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The beer people had the name first. Of course the health pros are at fault. Naming stuff is a BIG deal.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-27-2020 at 5:59 PM. Reason: Caution

Coronavirus: Should Americans be worried?

FDA Warns Coronavirus Outbreak May Disrupt Supply of Critical Medical Products

Fight against virus at 'decisive point' - WHO

There's a lot to worry about here (look at the market). Getting sick is only part of it although my age group is a big contributor to the grimmer statistics and it's hard to ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    .... Amazon was supposedly looking into hugr recent price increases.
    At least you can still buy respirators if you're wealthy enough. I propose a new sub-forum for DIY facemasks. Or maybe a subsection under shop-made tools & machines.

Respirators_20200227_135723.png

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    True, and there are pluses and minuses both ways.
    For example, it is not good when a person who is symptomatic foregoes professional attention due to cost.
    On the other hand, when there is no cost barrier, the system can get overwhelmed with the "worried well".
    This is what is happening at the moment in Japan, where they have nationalized universal coverage healthcare for their citizens. They are putting out public announcements trying to urge people to avoid going to the doctor or hospital unnecessarily.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mments-wrapper

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    6 years old article from a source desperate to stay relevant (and read).

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    Normally I would step back, but this is important and can get dangerous with misinformation.

We are only gathering data now on who is most vulnerable. This is not necessarily true of COVID-19. It's dangerous. Period. Full stop.
    My information comes from the New York Times, which has had strong ongoing coverage of this since the beginning. If they are wrong, so be it, it wouldn't be the first time. (Hello Judith Miller.) But don't spread panic.

I work in NIH and NSF funded laboratories. The NYT has what is publicly disseminated, and a lot of it isn't coming from US govt sources and from the ridiculous edicts being handed down now, the data will be politically influenced and/or otherwise distorted. The data just isn't thick enough yet to say anything other than the usual platitudes. The data surely looks like those in older age brackets are more vulnerable (which ...yeh...) but the brackets at this point are as focused as ages 30-79. That isn't exactly great yet.

And for the record, the masks everyone is buying don't do much. They just don't. I always chuckle when I see folks running down the street with those on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    My information comes from the New York Times, which has had strong ongoing coverage of this since the beginning. If they are wrong, so be it, it wouldn't be the first time. (Hello Judith Miller.) But don't spread panic.