• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

I sincerely hope it is controlled and minimized for society's and humanities sake. But personally, After numerous "scares" and media alarms over the decades, put me in the "what me worry" camp.
    IMG_5700.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Are we allowed to criticize the communist chinese government here?
    Funny thing is poor governance lead to the start of this, but I think the Chinese governments ability to mount a mass coordinated response and the Chinese people willingness to conform to direction will help the greatly contain this. Ironically I see corruption to blame, by communism will help solve it.

In 'the west' I think our biggest issue will be the 'me first' mentality. People will ignore the steps we need to contain this, they will decide they know better than the health professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    In 'the west' I think our biggest issue will be the 'me first' mentality. People will ignore the steps we need to contain this, they will decide they know better than the health professionals.
    Perhaps the best statement Ive read in a long time. A combination of corporate driven media driving a constant state of painic and fear to keep viewers tuned in has led to a huge faction of the population thinking everything from weather to spread of virus is an overblown media scam (which it all too often is) and we are all waiting for the unfortunate time that its real.

You cant foul up the fish tank and not expect the tank to finally turn over and all but one or two are left floating upside down, the tank then recovers and finds is balance, and starts again. Sadly we cant choose the floaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Even if you're courageous enough to go anyway, you ought to consider whether the place you're visiting is so disrupted that it takes all the enjoyment out of it. I guess you won't be able to assess that until you get closer to your scheduled travel dates, but it's just another angle to think about.
    We've already considered that, thanks. Several things on our list are already closed, at least for now. This was to be our fifth trip or sixth to Italy so it's not a missed lifetime opportunity if it doesn't happen, although it might be more disappointing for the guest we were taking who has not yet visited.

My wife said this morning that we could easily spend the whole trip driving and touring across the country and mountains and never get near the cities and tourist spots, but that wouldn't avoid the contact with other travelers at security, airplanes, and customs. A friend suggested I hire a private charter flight. Ha! Maybe if he pays for it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    We've already considered that, thanks. Several things on our list are already closed, at least for now. This was to be our fifth trip or sixth to Italy so it's not a missed lifetime opportunity if it doesn't happen, although it might be more disappointing for the guest we were taking who has not yet visited.

My wife said this morning that we could easily spend the whole trip driving and touring across the country and mountains and never get near the cities and tourist spots, but that wouldn't avoid the contact with other travelers at security, airplanes, and customs. A friend suggested I hire a private charter flight. Ha! Maybe if he pays for it.

JKJ
    I'd start to also pay attention to the other European (not just EU zone) countries policies, rather than just the US. There are at least one or two that require a quarantine when returning from Italy.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The SARS epidemic in Toronto was in my neighbourhood, and engulfed the hospital a block from home.

That was a scary one because it took us some time to diagnose what was going on.

I don't want to minimize the Covid 19 threat, however in Canada we've had approximately 12 cases and no deaths. If I'm understanding what I've read, California may have had the first NA case of transmission in NA.

My daughter is a nurse in Toronto, so far they're using standard controls and no healthcare workers have contracted the disease, sounds like knowledge gained from other events is working.

It's hard for Canadians to understand the details of your healthcare system because we lack experience with it. If you go to a hospital or clinic does a diagnostic test for Covid 19 cost you any out of pocket money?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Funny timing, I came across a copy of Jack London's book "The Scarlet Plague" a couple of months ago, I had never read it before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

It's hard for Canadians to understand the details of your healthcare system because we lack experience with it. If you go to a hospital or clinic does a diagnostic test for Covid 19 cost you any out of pocket money?
    The answer is, it depends. Generally speaking, yes everything costs out of pocket money in the US.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The answer is, it depends. Generally speaking, yes everything costs out of pocket money in the US.
    True, and there are pluses and minuses both ways.
    For example, it is not good when a person who is symptomatic foregoes professional attention due to cost.
    On the other hand, when there is no cost barrier, the system can get overwhelmed with the "worried well".
    This is what is happening at the moment in Japan, where they have nationalized universal coverage healthcare for their citizens. They are putting out public announcements trying to urge people to avoid going to the doctor or hospital unnecessarily.

Well, the health pros have made some big mistakes. If you don't believe me ,ask the owners of a certain beer company.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Thanks for answering that, I wasn't sure what the answer would be..........Rod.

Thanks for the answer............Rod.

If you go to a hospital or clinic does a diagnostic test for Covid 19 cost you any out of pocket money?
    Everything here costs money. It may be out of your pocket prior to, at the time of, or later.. but it all costs money. A lot more for some than others.

Seems that ALL facemasks are sold out at Costco, Menards, Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens etc in my area of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Seems that ALL facemasks are sold out at Costco, Menards, Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens etc in my area of town.
    Of isn't it since you're only meant to wear the mask if have an illness. (Prevents you from coughing or sneezing droplets onto other people).

My daughter is a nurse in ER, the info provided to them through the infection control group is that most people don't wear a mask correctly or touch their face with their hands, negating the mask protection....Rod.

Of isn't it since you're only meant to wear the mask if have an illness. (Prevents you from coughing or sneezing droplets onto other people).

My daughter is a nurse in ER, the info provided to them through the infection control group is that most people don't wear a mask correctly or touch their face with their hands, negating the mask protection....Rod.
    I've heard similar sentiments about the efficacy of the masks. Most of the ones sold at HD, Menards, Etc are designed to prevent dust inhalation anyway and not viruses. No matter, they are gone. I guess people either don't know better or figure anything is better than nothing. Also, Amazon was supposedly looking into hugr recent price increases.