32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    That is incorrect. A number of the dead were young healthy people. For example, the thirty something year old physician trying to treat patients in Wuhan.
    You are correct. I should have said that the mortality _skews_heavily_ towards the old and infirm.

Many more people die of the flu each year.

One choice that was omitted from the poll, was, should we take this more seriously than was done on our behalf? And my answer is yes. There is a big span between devil-may-care and lock-up-your-women-and-children. We can deal with this, intelligently.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-27-2020 at 3:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    One choice that was omitted from the poll, was, should we take this more seriously than was done on our behalf? And my answer is yes. There is a big span between devil-may-care and lock-up-your-women-and-children. We can deal with this, intelligently.
    Are we allowed to criticize the communist chinese government here?

Blog Entries
    Not yet but being one of the old and infirm (74) I take it seriously.

This from Yahoo Germany: The novel corona virus has now reached numerous federal states. The first infection was confirmed in Hamburg on Friday night. A total of 20 other new infections have also been announced in North Rhine-Westphalia, Baden-Württemberg, Hesse and Bavaria since the previous evening. In Heinsberg / NRW alone, around 1,000 people are quarantined. Germany's industry fears the effects of the economy, German authorities are extending their precautions.

I heard today that Clorox stock price is going up.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    "I can't swim!"

"Don't worry, the fall will kill you."

I take precautions, don't go out as much, avoid contact with lrg groups as much as possible, wipe down the grocery carts and use hand sanitizer a lot LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bil lD
    My grandfather and his brother founded the company that makes Purell. He sold out for a pittance 60 years ago. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    My grandfather and his brother founded the company that makes Purell. He sold out for a pittance 60 years ago. Oh well.

Well the Gamble house looks to be nice and clean.
    Bil l

10. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Are we allowed to criticize the communist chinese government here?
    Funny thing is poor governance lead to the start of this, but I think the Chinese governments ability to mount a mass coordinated response and the Chinese people willingness to conform to direction will help the greatly contain this. Ironically I see corruption to blame, by communism will help solve it.

In 'the west' I think our biggest issue will be the 'me first' mentality. People will ignore the steps we need to contain this, they will decide they know better than the health professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    In 'the west' I think our biggest issue will be the 'me first' mentality. People will ignore the steps we need to contain this, they will decide they know better than the health professionals.
    Perhaps the best statement Ive read in a long time. A combination of corporate driven media driving a constant state of painic and fear to keep viewers tuned in has led to a huge faction of the population thinking everything from weather to spread of virus is an overblown media scam (which it all too often is) and we are all waiting for the unfortunate time that its real.

You cant foul up the fish tank and not expect the tank to finally turn over and all but one or two are left floating upside down, the tank then recovers and finds is balance, and starts again. Sadly we cant choose the floaters.

Normally I would step back, but this is important and can get dangerous with misinformation.

You are correct. I should have said that the mortality _skews_heavily_ towards the old and infirm.
    We are only gathering data now on who is most vulnerable. This is not necessarily true of COVID-19. It's dangerous. Period. Full stop.

Many more people die of the flu each year.
    Raw numbers, yes. Percentagewise, no! COVID-19 has a 20-fold higher mortality rate than flu. As of now, there are fewer COVID-19 cases than flu. Let's hope it stays that way, but we best prepare for quite the opposite. There are more flu cases, thus more mortality in terms of raw numbers there.

We can only hope that the government response is largely not reflected by the embarrassing press conference. There was so much false information (from largely one individual) in that press conference that it is frightening.
    Last edited by William Chain; 02-27-2020 at 10:19 AM.

we are getting prepared for shortages of non-essentials. dog food, chicken food. if the chickens can eat, we have an excellent home grown source of protein. our cellar still has many squash and lots of cans of tomatoes. probably be able to last until the garden starts producing this seasons crop if it does get really bad here. i expect though that this will not effect essentials like food and water too much. I can see problems with stuff like pet food if the virus gains a foothold in the US.

cdc is saying we have our first community transmission in northern CA. So be prepared. It's not prepping, you will use all the supplies eventually. if not this global issue, the next one.

Well, the health pros have made some big mistakes. If you don't believe me ,ask the owners of a certain beer company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Well, the health pros have made some big mistakes. If you don't believe me ,ask the owners of a certain beer company.
    OK, I'm curious what beer company and what's the story?