• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Wasn’t that also in their Holy Grail movie?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

and they had lots of paper towels, which I also saw in a lot of shopping carts, which leads me to a prediction: in a week or so, there will be a shortage of drain-clearing plumbers and city workers needed in manholes to clean out all the paper towels used for what they were never designed for
    Yes some people are using them for TP, but I think it more about hand Hygiene (dry with paper towel and toss it out rather than re-use regular towel) and surface cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Maybe it was. It was a long time ago.

Anyway, seems appropriate for the times.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Yes, that's what it was from.

I found the chart below today which shows testing results from S Korea and Italy. S Korea data reflects widespread testing, whereas most if Italy data comes from sick people. This shows pretty clearly that younger people don't habe the same sort of illness as do older people. Young people seem to be carriers.

IMG_20200314_122318.jpg

It will be interesting to see how US data compares some day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You may notice the "Flattening the Curve" graphic is different from the one used from MSNBC:

Attachment 427843

In this one the base of the timeline is about the same for both curves.

It seems both graphics have one thing in common. No one knows how many will be infected nor do they know how long it will run.

jtk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    One difference between the two graphics I notice is that the one not from MSNBC doesn't show the same initiation point for both curves. It look like it assumes that "distancing" begins before onset in the flattened curve, while the MSNBC graphic shows onset at the same point. Since we did not start distancing early, both curves should have the same initiation point.

Mike
    That may be the 'artistic license' by the maker of the graph. The horizontal axis of the chart isn't a specific date. Instead view the starting point of each curve to be the same at "daily number of cases."

Overlapping the data sets would possibly cause other confusion.

My interpretation is by following precautions people will be less likely to contract the virus, thus not transmitting the virus. We of yet do not have a vaccine or effective treatment. The best way to overcome this virus is to reduce and hopefully prevent person to person or community transmission.

Closing schools helps. Even though children do not seem to be showing signs of being infected, they can still be vectors of a disease. Anyone who has or has had kids knows how this works.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-14-2020 at 4:39 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Still think you are overanalyzing the graphs, a graph with no numbers in the x or y axcess is just an illustration. The point being illustrated is how the health care system capacity can be exceeded if the number of infected people is allowed to peak.

Didn't they also do that "bring out your dead" thing during the early 20th century flu?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Still think you are overanalyzing the graphs, a graph with no numbers in the x or y axcess is just an illustration. The point being illustrated is how the health care system capacity can be exceeded if the number of infected people is allowed to peak.
    You're probably right.

On a lighter note, I heard some reporting that Mexico and Canada are watching very closely. In the (hopefully unlikely) event the US goes the same way as Italy, they each may have to close the borders.
    In an ironic twist, the Mexican president said if it comes to that, it would have been helpful if the US could have hurried up and gotten the wall built.

Isn't it also true that as with all other influenza seasons as the weather turns warmer the season dies off? Hotter dry weather and it doesn't last long. People aren't inside as much. Windows are opened up. Stale stagnant air isn't as common and the germs don't survive long. That's why I always understood that the opposite seasons of the northern and southern hemispheres result in flu seasons opposite as well. So if the onslaught can be slowed even a month the weather will also help to contain it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Isn't it also true that as with all other influenza seasons as the weather turns warmer the season dies off?
    But its not an influenza virus, its a new coronavirus. So they don't know how it will behave. Given that there are outbreaks in countries that are warm right now, that is only a hope.

It's spreading here. It was almost 80° today and it's always dry.

Seems like it's VERY similar to me. Although they are still learning about Covid-19 it is quite similar in all aspects except possibly transmission which they are still learning about. Don't take my word for it though.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

Dr Norman Swan

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-15-2020 at 8:17 AM.

As a follow on from the previous post; Australia and New Zealand governments have just announced a 14 days self-isolation on all overseas arrivals.