50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Blog Entries
    A friend sent me an email that seems to be getting around about self diagnosing coronavirus.

It sounded a bit off and of course it was according to > https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ta...ts-self-check/

Even what comes from legitimate news services may be subject to error or be incorrect due to misinformation. Just because an "in the know friend" posted it on Facebook doesn't make it a good source.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Just read a bit more online:

NBA season suspended due to a player testing positive.

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive in Australia.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-12-2020 at 2:26 AM. Reason: changed wording canceled to suspended
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah, I'm pretty worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I listened to that episode yesterday while I was driving between customers. Excellent, well balanced explanation. Worth the listen even if you are not a JRE regular.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I listened to that episode yesterday while I was driving between customers. Excellent, well balanced explanation. Worth the listen even if you are not a JRE regular.

Erik
    yes it was - very good conversation - alarming but far from alarmist.

I think one of the things that has not been mentioned enough is that the rubber is going to hit the road on the local level. And I experienced that yesterday at a team meeting in a large Chi suburb. After meeting for 2 days. one of the participants got notified that the couple he stayed with last week have both been diagnosed with the virus. He had flown in from another country, so he called the local health dept. They did not know if he could get tested, then they knew he couldn't because he did not have symptoms, did not know how much he would be charged for it, did not know if he would be quarantined, did not know how to advise the conference center we were at, generally did not know shit. But they did say it was ok for everyone to fly home - 4 different states and 2 countries. Go figure. (insert here - "We're from the government, we're here to help.") Fortunately all I had was a 3 hour drive. To be honest, their lack of knowledge and readiness was scarier than the virus. If this is a typical local response, we are in deep shit.

So I'm on 14 day lock down, and SWMBO is furious because, of course, she did not want me to go. Should be a fun 2 weeks - I think I'll just set up a cot in the shop.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ...It sounded a bit off and of course it was according to > https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ta...ts-self-check/...
    Fact-checking? Where's the fun in that? The world would be a dull place if everybody used Snopes. But a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    So I'm on 14 day lock down, and SWMBO is furious because, of course, she did not want me to go. Should be a fun 2 weeks - I think I'll just set up a cot in the shop.
    Sorry to hear, take care of yourself and I hope you stay well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    To be honest, their lack of knowledge and readiness was scarier than the virus. If this is a typical local response, we are in deep shit.
    I hate to be alarmist, but I suspect this is normal and that thought, scares the hell out of me. Not the virus, with sanity that's not a huge deal (look at South Korea), but peoples insanity in panic and the inability to have actual planned reactions.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Just wondering why this virus scare is being taken so much more seriously than previous ones. Based on the number of deaths, others were more severe, of course this one may just be starting.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Just wondering why this virus scare is being taken so much more seriously than previous ones. Based on the number of deaths, others were more severe, of course this one may just be starting.
    It's just the start, however the biggest problem is if/when it overwhelms the healthcare system. At that point, more people are going to die than otherwise would. Simply because the resources do not exist to treat everyone. This is what has happened in Italy.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Because this one is more serious than the previous ones. No vaccination, not understood yet, fast moving, and a giant lack of preparedness. We have no offense for it other than a defense of avoiding contact.

I fear the US will have difficulties because 40%+ of the country is obese, which with the complications with obesity makes them more susceptible to the virus.

I'm as worried about the economy as I am about COVID-19. I wouldn't be surprised if the economic damage from people staying home ends up costing the economy at least one hundred billion dollars. I worry if my employer will even survive if lockdowns get as bad as other countries.

I am not panicking about COVID-19, but I sure don't want to get sick. I was already very seriously ill with influenza the first week of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I'm as worried about the economy as I am about COVID-19. I wouldn't be surprised if the economic damage from people staying home ends up costing the economy at least one hundred billion dollars. I worry if my employer will even survive if lockdowns get as bad as other countries.

I am not panicking about COVID-19, but I sure don't want to get sick. I was already very seriously ill with influenza the first week of the year.
    Brian,

So far the market has lost 11.5 Trillion dollars in value. It’s a number so large that it’s hard to comprehend. The US GDP in 2019 was 21T. The feds pumped 1.5T into the market and it barely made a blip.

I know the overall value of the market doesn’t directly equate to the economy and one has to imagine that some of this will recover eventually (when? Who knows), but it’s easy to say at this point that the impact will be measured in a massive number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    So far the market has lost 11.5 Trillion dollars in value. It’s a number so large that it’s hard to comprehend. The US GDP in 2019 was 21T. The feds pumped 1.5T into the market and it barely made a blip.

I know the overall value of the market doesn’t directly equate to the economy and one has to imagine that some of this will recover eventually (when? Who knows), but it’s easy to say at this point that the impact will be measured in a massive number.
    It's all so strongly controlled by perception. That's what the stock market _is_, a matter of perception about what's _going_ to happen with the prosperity of the "market", however you may define that.

It's not like commodities, where if you buy a thousand head of cattle, you're going to take possession and find someplace to put them unless you make other arrangements. :^)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-13-2020 at 3:39 AM.