50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Two things to add:
    An excellent article that helps explain social distancing and virus transmission.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

And check out this graph, that compares Italy to the US. Remember the US is a lot bigger than Italy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is Ireland on same path as Italy? Maybe we all are.
    IMG_20200315_104030.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Is Ireland on same path as Italy? Maybe we all are.
    IMG_20200315_104030.jpg
    Italy reported 3500 new cases yesterday for over 21000 total. Over 1400 deaths. The slope of the USA curve is very similar to or even steeper theirs and many others. Here, our church woodturning club canceled meetings until further notice.

Even the deniers I know are starting to rethink things.

I would think our curve would be flatter, because maybe half of the people are not selfish/stupid, and doing their part. But then, you have to figure in the slowness of the start of prevention measures, and those lulled into lack of seriousness by downplaying efforts to start with. In other words, who knows. We're doing our part, but I've been avoiding handshaking, and avoiding large crowds, when possible, anyway forever.

There also was an annual woodworking hand tool swap meet north of DC that was canceled yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I would think our curve would be flatter, because maybe half of the people are not selfish/stupid, and doing their part. But then, you have to figure in the slowness of the start of prevention measures, and those lulled into lack of seriousness by downplaying efforts to start with. In other words, who knows. We're doing our part, but I've been avoiding handshaking, and avoiding large crowds, when possible, anyway forever.
    Lot of stories today that the bar and club and restaurant and party scene is going strong as young people don't seem to be practicing social distancing. Maybe they believe its an older person's disease??

Yeah, that's the half not doing their part.

I’m noticing the same in both my personal dealings and in the media.

It’s funny to be just old enough to get how the adage “you just don’t know what you don’t know till you know and or youth is wasted on the young or whatever”

Makes you feel old when you start noticing younger people being very selfish and short sighted..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yeah, that's the half not doing their part.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    As a follow on from the previous post; Australia and New Zealand governments have just announced a 14 days self-isolation on all overseas arrivals.
    Canada did that days ago. 14 days isolation even if you just pop over the border for the day to the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Lot of stories today that the bar and club and restaurant and party scene is going strong as young people don't seem to be practicing social distancing. Maybe they believe its an older person's disease??
    I've been hearing that too.
    I've instructed my family not to go near my mom. So far, most think I'm over-reacting and it is seriously pissing me off.

Well if I cant go to work next week I will isolate myself in the workshop LOL. Only two things I will ration carefully int he shop, the use of M95 masks and rubbing alcohol as I cant replace either right now.

One of my kids is an ER doc at a Level 1 Trauma hospital outside of Philly. They already assume they will lose some patients for lack of ventilators, changed to HazMat gear a week ago. It is a modern well equipped hospital, he graduated from a very good medical school. He has done volunteer work in primative clinics in the Honduran highlands. He says it will be bad.

We beat to quarters last week. Where we live is a fair commute to groceries so we have always bought in bulk and have sat thru 6' snow drifts for a week or two. I built storage 40 years ago, it is stocked. Today I went in to town and stocked up on 3/4" baltic birch, I may self-indulge and build more add-ons for jigs and my Moxon. One of our cats requires special food and saline infusions for kidney problems, I estimate we now have 150 day supply.

I am worried about the ER doc.

I’m so relieved to see others express actual concern and caution. I have begun to actually feel pretty alone in my position on all this.

I also have been getting kinda upset as it is clear at work and that much of my family think I’m completely nuts and overreacting to think this is a big deal and precautions should be taken.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-15-2020 at 4:52 PM. Reason: language

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I’m so relieved to see others express actual concern and caution. I have begun to actually feel pretty alone in my position on all this.

I also have been getting kinda pissed off as it is clear at work and that much of my family think I’m completely nuts and overreacting to think this is a big deal and precautions should be taken.
    Fortunately in my little world SWMBO is of the same mind. If we can stay home and be hermits, so be it.

Sadly, the selfish ones will possibly succumb to infection via their own arrogance.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Patrick, please take it easy in this thread so it doesn’t get closed.