• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Sadly this organ I’m building is slated to be finished and delivered to get this “shoreline Washington” for mid May. And get this we have to go install it, like a 2-4 week ordeal. Get this shoreline is just across the bay form Kirkland. I’m totally not happy and honestly if things are not 100% resolved no way am I going. That may or may not result in me losing my job but so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Fortunately in my little world SWMBO is of the same mind. If we can stay home and be hermits, so be it.

Sadly, the selfish ones will possibly succumb to infection via their own arrogance.

jtk

Like that last thread got locked because of me but �� the question marks are supposed to be a thumbs up.

I know I didn’t help but I surely didn’t bring that nasty tone to it.

I’ll leave it at that but I gotta speak up for myself if your gonna point me out and take me to task.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Patrick, please take it easy in this thread so it doesn’t get closed.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-15-2020 at 5:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Are you starting to worry about Coronavirus yet?
    Less than a month ago Italy had it's first reported case.

Today they have 25,000 reported cases, 1,809 deaths. The reported cases have been increasing by about 3500 per day.

JKJ

I would not pay much attention to those who think an "overreaction" is following the advice of essentially all the experts.

There appears to be little doubt COVID 19 is not our ordinary flu.

I don't believe the people that do not "overreact" are selfish - I suspect it is more of a denial mechanism, or perhaps, for at least some people, it's about a severe diminishing of their income.

Not that it would save me or that it’s me I’m worried about as I’m not. But just another reason to realize my dream of living smack dab in the middle of a 100 acre lot in the middle of like Saskatchewan. Actually I think most any of us would have little to worry about if that be our setup. I’d be living blissfully If I could figure out how to make it happen.

But yeah it’s coming for us. I agree it seems even the deniers are starting to worry. It’s my opinion that’s it’s sure gonna be funny “well not funny at all” when they all are taking their words back and retreating.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Today they have 25,000 reported cases, 1,809 deaths. The reported cases have been increasing by about 3500 per day.

JKJ

I was talking about this with my mom in the context of the rest of our family and them still visiting and taking my 82 old grandmother out to dinner just last night grandkids and all.

I first suspect ignorance and I do believe they are half ignorant. But we also came to the determination that it’s also quite possible it’s the same people’s reaction to fear that are suggesting we have nothing to worry about. In the case of my boss and co workers yeah I’m sure most of it is about money and survival of a small business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Falsetti View Post
    I would not pay much attention to those who think an "overreaction" is following the advice of essentially all the experts.

There appears to be little doubt COVID 19 is not our ordinary flu.

I don't believe the people that do not "overreact" are selfish - I suspect it is more of a denial mechanism, or perhaps, for at least some people, it's about a severe diminishing of their income.

Blog Entries
    when they all are taking their words back and retreating.
    ?????????

Some of the deniers are already claiming they weren't denying anything. It will surprise me if many actually take their words back and take responsibility for what they said.

Though there seems to be some improvement generally. This thread is less than four weeks running. At the beginning there were many claims of the whole thing being blown out of proportion. Not as many making that claim today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow I hadn’t noticed it was four weeks old.

And yes I know they will not eat their words but their actions will tell the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ?????????

Some of the deniers are already claiming they weren't denying anything. It will surprise me if many actually take their words back and take responsibility for what they said.

Though there seems to be some improvement generally. This thread is less than four weeks running. At the beginning there were many claims of the whole thing being blown out of proportion. Not as many making that claim today.

jtk

Medicine is an empirical science, they need evidence first. None of the different national health institutes have covered themselves in glory on this one. I read talk about how they dealt with Ebola, but Ebola is now a fairly well research disease with a defined Standard of Care. They know enough about COVID now that it probably wouldn't get as far today. A year out a lot of medical directors will be post-mortuming responses out the yazoo. I expect CDC will be having trouble finding places to store the money. I've handled disasters. It's simply hard to get money before, regardless of what the field is. Personally, I kinda like over-prepared.

https://www.facebook.com/Vivian.Bala...5285165229616/

Here is a detailed and serious assessment of the global and East Asian situation from a March 11 interview with Singapore's foreign minister, well worth viewing.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-15-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/Vivian.Bala...5285165229616/

Here is a detailed and serious assessment of the global and East Asian situation from a March 11 interview with Singapore's foreign minister, well worth viewing.
    Dr.Fauci is my hero lately. He communicates well and is doing a great job.
    We've got kids and grandkids in Singapore. This is one time they like a government that's strict with the rules.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-15-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    John, this is a wicked pandemic. Many will die.

That doesn't match the facts - all the evidence we see indicates we do have experts on this, and they are allowed to speak out.

It seems to me we have an all-hands-on-deck effort, led by many experts, private and public, all across the nation. I remain confident we will soon have improved testing and other support systems, but it'll take time to put it in place.

I believe almost everyone would agree Singapore is way different than what you are used to over here. A small city state with tight controls can do a boatload of things that a large country with 50 states and many regional health care systems can not do, certainly not as quickly.

Right or wrong Illinois has taken some aggressive steps similar to Ohio. Schools closed for at least 2 weeks. Bars and restaurants are also closed for 2 weeks starting Tuesday. That's because even when they asked people to not gather in large groups and party they did it anyway. After all St Patrick's day has to be celebrated no matter the possible consequences. So bars and restaurants are closed for at least 2 weeks as well. Carryout and drive thru can still operate. Because it doesn't take effect until tomorrow some bars are throwing parties to celebrate before they close. Maybe they should have made it effective tomorrow. I initially was in the overblown camp. I'm seeing why now that drastic measures may be necessary though. Some people will not do the right things without being forced to do so. My work is mostly outdoors so I don't feel a significant danger. Also closest reported cases at this time are a 100 miles away. If it requires me to stay home at some point I can do that. The people that live paycheck to paycheck will be hurt deeply if it comes to that. The language in the "emergency" bill appears to exempt large employers from paying sick leave but not those under 500. That makes no sense to me. This looks like it could get bad. I'm concerned for the economy. This could bankrupt small companies.

I don't buy scientists are being censored. Expert scientists ? Did the rest of them just go to night school ?