• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

I don't think info is missing. I think I've heard enough to keep breathing. If you are able to spot baloney ....then you
    must be getting good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    If I'm understanding what I've read, California may have had the first NA case of transmission in NA.
    We have had cases of transmission in the U.S. before. I think that the California case is the first one where they haven't been able to figure out who transmitted it to the patient.

Edited to add:

I looked up the story. Here's the summary:
    "A person in California who was not exposed to anyone known to be infected with the coronavirus, and had not traveled to countries in which the virus is circulating, has tested positive for the infection."
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 02-28-2020 at 1:08 PM.

Sounds like it's hitting smokers the hardest. I tried to find out if the Doctors who died from it were smokers, but didn't see any information. It would not surprise me to hear that they were. I have heard a lot about completely healthy people dying from it, but also understand that some people who smoke think that they are completely healthy. Only a little information has come out that some people who didn't take it hard at all, were non-smokers. No comprehensive studies yet.

One thing that did show up in each thing I read about it, said that the smoking rate in China is much higher than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Sounds like it's hitting smokers the hardest. I tried to find out if the Doctors who died from it were smokers, but didn't see any information. It would not surprise me to hear that they were. I have heard a lot about completely healthy people dying from it, but also understand that some people who smoke think that they are completely healthy. Only a little information has come out that some people who didn't take it hard at all, were non-smokers. No comprehensive studies yet.

One thing that did show up in each thing I read about it, said that the smoking rate in China is much higher than here.
    What does smoking have to do with it? How are you making this link? Yeah the chinese smoke a lot, but correlation is not causation. They also eat some really weird stuff, and that's how this got started.

I just did some Googling, and the first thing that came up was about smokers being the most vulnerable. It's a respiratory virus. My Google question didn't have anything related to smoking in it, but the top several links brought that up to start with. Once I saw that, I tried to find out if the Doctors who died from it had been smokers, but as I stated, I didn't find any information. I'm not making it up.

I didn't say it originated with smokers, but simply from my initial reading, that it appeared to be hitting smokers the hardest.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-28-2020 at 4:20 PM.

This from Yahoo Germany: The novel corona virus has now reached numerous federal states. The first infection was confirmed in Hamburg on Friday night. A total of 20 other new infections have also been announced in North Rhine-Westphalia, Baden-Württemberg, Hesse and Bavaria since the previous evening. In Heinsberg / NRW alone, around 1,000 people are quarantined. Germany's industry fears the effects of the economy, German authorities are extending their precautions.

I heard today that Clorox stock price is going up.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I heard today that Clorox stock price is going up.
    "I can't swim!"

"Don't worry, the fall will kill you."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    [B]

At least you can still buy respirators if you're wealthy enough. I propose a new sub-forum for DIY facemasks. Or maybe a subsection under shop-made tools & machines.

Attachment 426914
    Apparently you didn't read that the $1188.78 price is for 80 packages of 20 masks .....$14.85 for 20 dust masks isn't a bad price.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Apparently you didn't read that the $1188.78 price is for 80 packages of 20 masks .....$14.85 for 20 dust masks isn't a bad price.
    Unless you compare it to Amazon.ca price of $99.99 Cnd for one box of 20 masks or $5 Cnd or about $3.75 US each.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Unless you compare it to Amazon.ca price of $99.99 Cnd for one box of 20 masks or $5 Cnd or about $3.75 US each.
    Slightly higher in Canada. 11:30 in Newfoundland.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    ...So why can't the CDC do something similar? A daily or twice daily briefing from a credible scientist or team of experienced professionals? ...
    Because they've been told not to. All information is to be filtered through the Vice President.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It says 4 packs of 20 (80 masks). That's $14.85 for one mask. Plus shipping. I didn't spend any time looking for the worst example and most masks were listed as out of stock.

Interestingly, I just took a quick look to see how bad the supply is today and saw no "out of stock" listings on the first page or two and the prices were not exhorbitant. However, none were listed as eligible for Prime, which I take to mean they won't be delivered in two days and maybe not for a very long time.

The ones I looked up on Amazon.ca were for delivery March 4-6 so not bad. But I just checked and delivery is $309 so I guess I was wrong and it's not such a better deal after all, my apologies.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 02-29-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Because they've been told not to. All information is to be filtered through the Vice President.
    Yes and through this they are hoping to control the ancillary damage. Funny thing is they may be right in theory (though not in practice).

So far the biggest damage the virus has done has been to economy. I know people will say the economy does not matter when lives are at stake, but the economy and health have been proven to be very closely linked. Panic over the virus could prove to do more damage than the virus itself.

Sad thought that the government does not think the people are smart enough to able to get unfiltered, unspun information.