50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Not saying there isn't good info out there - just saying that one link above started out with a popup that slammed someone for not doing enough and put all the blame on him.
    I'm way beyond being fed up with crap like that.
    Mind cutting and pasting that popup in a post, I don't see one on that sight, maybe the popup is linked to your previous searches and has nothing to do with the article linked. I get a popup for a Super Dust Deputy from Busy Bee (which I just ordered from them).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Not saying there isn't good info out there - just saying that one link above started out with a popup that slammed someone for not doing enough and put all the blame on him.
    I'm way beyond being fed up with crap like that.
    So you are slamming an informative article because of those who buy advertising on their pages?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Mind cutting and pasting that popup in a post, I don't see one on that sight, maybe the popup is linked to your previous searches and has nothing to do with the article linked. I get a popup for a Super Dust Deputy from Busy Bee (which I just ordered from them).
    Please don't do this.. don't need blatant political bs polluting this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Please don't do this.. don't need blatant political bs polluting this thread
    Agree, I shouldn't have asked him to post it, my point was that the popup likely had nothing to do with the site and more to do with his search history.

Here is another very good dashboard site for anyone interested in up to date statistical information: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

The above link is for the desktop version. If you want the mobile version, you can select it from a pop up dialog box here: https://systems.jhu.edu/

BTW, this info is from Johns Hopkins University, hopefully regarded as a credible source by most....

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    So you are slamming an informative article because of those who buy advertising on their pages?
    jtk
    In this day and age a lot of “news” sites have agendas and are not above flat out dishonesty if it advances their preferred narrative. That is unfortunately true on both the left and the right.

For an issue like this, if I have to check things I see on a site to see if they are true or not I a simply not going to read it. I will go to the CDC or my local health department.

I don’t know if that is the point the other poster was trying to make or not, but that is how I feel about those types of sites.

No - I'm saying the site itself is so biased against anything not left leaning it's pure BS & I wouldn't trust anything they have to say. The pop up wasn't advertising - it was from the site & wanting money to fight against Trump.
    Happy now that I made it clearer and bumped up against the TOS?

"""Daily Kos is a group blog and internet forum focused on center-left politics and the Democratic Party and center-left liberal American politics. The site features a participatory political encyclopedia, glossaries, and other content. It is sometimes considered an example of "netroots" activism. Wikipedia"""
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    In this day and age a lot of “news” sites have agendas and are not above flat out dishonesty if it advances their preferred narrative. That is unfortunately true on both the left and the right.

For an issue like this, if I have to check things I see on a site to see if they are true or not I a simply not going to read it. I will go to the CDC or my local health department.

I don’t know if that is the point the other poster was trying to make or not, but that is how I feel about those types of sites.
    Agreed, that is why my news/information gathering is done from a wide array of different sites of varying views, as opposed to a single site with an agenda. Usually when a particular statement is the same right, left and center it can be considered as likely being a fact if someone didn't dupe all of them.

In this case, there was a notice posted at the top of the story:

(This content is not subject to review by Daily Kos staff prior to publication.)
    Daily Kos may have a bias, it isn't on my daily reading list. It is rare that my reading of the Daily Kos site has revealed outright distortion of reality. This usually only has happened in an opinion piece. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not to their own facts.

There are some sites who do make concerted efforts at using "alternative facts."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries

This Makes It Serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Here is another very good dashboard site for anyone interested in up to date statistical information: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Edwin
    Seems like a good site, however they need to update their information.

US deaths currently 31. I believe we surpassed 23 deaths several days ago.

What is interesting, however, is comparing the deaths & confirmed cases is 2% mortality rate.

I am quite confident the mortality rate is much lower than 2% because the true number of infected people will never be determined because of subclinical infections (ie infection with no little to no symtoms). I am confident based on what I've read there are probably 1000's of people walking around right now who are infected and don't know it, and they are spreading the virus.

Also, there has yet to be a reported case of illness in children <10yrs old.

Pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Are you starting to worry about Coronavirus yet?
    I see the WHO (World Health Organization) just declared the coronavirus a pandemic.

I'm definitely postponing my trip to Europe in May...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Seems like a good site, however they need to update their information.

US deaths currently 31. I believe we surpassed 23 deaths several days ago.
    It shows 30 US deaths as of a few seconds ago, but down in the lower left corner, there is a box showing when it was last updated. It shows 24 for Washington state alone, maybe that's what you were looking at?

What astounds me is that our healthcare system that many say is the best in the world, and I'm not saying it isn't has conducted less than 5000 tests so far. Also the news that China produces 80% of our pharmaceuticals. Nothing like having the fox guard the chicken house.. I'll hold my tongue now.

Look at South Korea if you want a more realistic view I think. They've tested more than anyone else. The US system has the most cost per benefit of any system in the first world, not sure that's the 'best'.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Look at South Korea if you want a more realistic view I think. They've tested more than anyone else. The US system has the most cost per benefit of any system in the first world, not sure that's the 'best'.
    I'm not going to disagree with you Mike, I'm just trying to avoid a flame war. A few years ago I started a thread asking the Canadian SMC members their opinion of their healthcare system. The thread turned ugly pretty fast so I try to not create a ruckus now.I did feel the need to express my wonder at what seems an almost unbelievable situation presently as far as actually tests performed.