• Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post

Which is why I said "poorly." ...

I'm not trying to be overly alarmist, but it's just not known yet how this virus will behave.
    The word "poorly" is subjective and could perhaps be accompanied by references, but caution is always good, especially now. And it is certainly true that only time will tell how this virus will work.

If things get very bad locally at least some woodworkers have professional grade industrial respirators on hand. I have a bunch of 3M 1/2 face and two full-face respirators, a supply of both P100 and organic vapor filter cartridges, boxes and packages of disposable masks for shop visitors, nitrile gloves, and tyvec coveralls for shop and farm use. I suspect a lot here have such gear in their shops.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Its likely the Vise President has the track record to take on that responsibility; https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...-hiv-outbreak/
    Another point of view, with some interesting commentary about the Vice President. https://www.dailywire.com/news/dr-dr...e-of-influenza
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    A pandemic these days is simply not going to have the devastative affects of those from the past because of our current knowledge base and the work of millions of trained health care workers worldwide. As Dr. Drew said where is the media in telling everyone to simply get a flu shot and wash your hands to help reduce our chances of adding to the actual 16,000 flu deaths in the US annually? I suppose in defense of the news media, COVID-19 is new, influenza is not. Hence the word "news".

Had to fly from Flint to Sarasota yesterday with a layover in Atlanta. I saw one mask on our plane and one family of 4 at the Atlanta airport with masks. That was it. I guess most are heeding the advice that masks aren't needed at this point. But unlike the cruise ships where the mantra is " washee washee" and you see crew constantly wiping down handrails and you see hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere, I saw no such action at the airport. Might make sense to at least do some basic precautions to help protect the public.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-02-2020 at 9:38 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't airports in the US federal properties? So what does the lack of basic precautions (providing hand sanitizers and wiping down handrails) say about the federal government response to the virus?

Blog Entries
    As Dr. Drew said where is the media in telling everyone to simply get a flu shot and wash your hands to help reduce our chances of adding to the actual 16,000 flu deaths in the US annually?
    My local TV stations have had flu shot recommendations and announcements about getting flu shots and other healthy practices. It just isn't as exciting as a story of people being quarantined or stuck on a cruise ship.

Flu shot recommendation and health message maybe five or ten seconds of story and graphics.

Story about a cruise ship being held out of port for quarantine tends to get a bit more time and video.

The Daily Wire story made me lose interest when Dr. Drew called reporting on corona virus, "Fake News."

Calling something that is taking place "Fake News" or a "Hoax" is not going to solve a disease or overcome mass hysteria.

Dr. Drew implies that he feels the media should be silent on the corona virus. During my past few visits to public restrooms and the gym, more people have been washing their hands and taking the time to wipe down the gym equipment after use. To me the uptick of public awareness and action from media coverage is welcome.

His praise of Mike Pence's "solution" to the opiate and HIV "problem" in Indiana:

That is fake news, we used to look at Indiana as a, as an appropriate response to the opiate epidemic we’re really responding to at the time, and they also had a massive effect on HIV and AIDS.
    Maybe it depends on who the "we" might be, looking at Indiana's "appropriate response."

HIV spread in Indiana due to then Governor Pence's refusal to allow needle exchanges for drug users.

I am a praying man, but my choice would be to have unbiased medical help from professionals using science to heal me and not a prayer group.

It doesn't seem to be "Fake News" that six people have already died in my state.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...es-2020-03-02/

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-03-2020 at 2:13 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was scheduled to go to a conference in Anaheim W-F this week. normally, 50,000 attendees. 60% participants cancelled, then the event was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    ... aren't airports in the US federal properties? ...
    I can't speak for 'most' or even 'many' airports, but the large airports that I am familiar with are not federally owned. The Feds do dictate/specify/manage security for access (TSA), and of course manage the airspace (FAA).

As for the 'pandemic', in USA we've lost 6 total per last news I heard. Compare that to influenza average of 40-50 deaths per day in 2020. Media are fear mongers...perhaps?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-03-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    As for the 'pandemic', in USA we've lost 6 total per last news I heard. Compare that to influenza average of 40-50 deaths per day in 2020. Media are fear mongers...perhaps?
    How many flu cases compared to how many corona virus cases?

Should the media have kept quiet on this until it reaches more daily deaths than influenza?

From Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization:

"We have never before seen a respiratory pathogen that is capable of community transmission, but which can also be contained with the right measures."
    Is it wrong to think information via the media is one of the "right measures" to help contain this malady? If nothing else, maybe the raised awareness of the general public will lessen the severity of our normal flu season.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, it sounds like you may be tracking case numbers for both flu and COVID-19 more closely than I. My point was that we (or at least the media) have seemingly become 'comfortable' with flu deaths - despite the numbers.

Media? I never mentioned 'kept quiet'. They can report data and leave an informed public. Or, they can spin data and cause a panic. We'll each have to pick our data sources and interpret it thru our own filters - and respond accordingly.

This seems a VERY popular thread, so for 'further study' I'd recommend "The Great Influenza" - John M. Barry (2004). We've come a long way.

All my best to those impacted,
    M

To answer the OP, I'm concerned but not going to submit to worry. I'll do what I can to prevent exposure but obviously there's much beyond our personal control. I believe there will be more pandemics coming maybe more than modern medicine can contain, and when it's my time I'm ready to meet my maker. Just hope to make a bit more wood dust before then. Thoughts and prayers to all that have been affected by this.
    Last edited by Jon Grider; 03-03-2020 at 4:54 PM. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    To answer the OP, I'm concerned but not going to submit to worry. I'll do what I can to prevent exposure but obviously there's much beyond our personal control. I believe there will be more pandemics coming maybe more than modern medicine can contain, and when it's my time I'm ready to meet my maker. Just hope to make a bit more wood dust before then. Thoughts and prayers to all that have been affected by this.
    The way I think of it is, this is training wheels for _everybody_ for how to react to something more serious in the future. In that sense, even though it's awful that people have died, this is a valuable wakeup call.

There was an article on a local newspaper website today about Costco stores locally being completely wiped clean of toilet paper and paper towels since the Minnesota state government mentioned being prepared for an outbreak on earlier last week. (No, they did not say to stock up on TP and paper towels.) I was Target today and a lady had a cart overflowing with multiple packages of TP, paper towels, bottled water. She also had about a dozen packages of disinfectant wipes.

I may buy a little bit of extra food, but I really need more food anyhow. I rarely have more than three days of food on hand which is not a good habit. I admit I bought a big pack of TP today, but I will be out within a week and wanted to be sure I could get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    There was an article on a local newspaper website today about Costco stores locally being completely wiped clean of toilet paper and paper towels since the Minnesota state government mentioned being prepared for an outbreak on earlier last week. (No, they did not say to stock up on TP and paper towels.) I was Target today and a lady had a cart overflowing with multiple packages of TP, paper towels, bottled water. She also had about a dozen packages of disinfectant wipes.

I may buy a little bit of extra food, but I really need more food anyhow. I rarely have more than three days of food on hand which is not a good habit. I admit I bought a big pack of TP today, but I will be out within a week and wanted to be sure I could get some.
    Have you tried fasting? Fasting is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I can't speak for 'most' or even 'many' airports, but the large airports that I am familiar with are not federally owned. The Feds do dictate/specify/manage security for access (TSA), and of course manage the airspace (FAA).

Re airports I think you're right. There's a 'land' side and 'air' side. The 'air' side has to meet federal specs, lights & markings, traffic control, weight bearing capacity etc. The 'land' side is more up to the locality excepting TSA required stuff. At least that's how I understand it.

WHO reporting that worldwide death rate from coronavirus is now 3.4%! Thats pretty huge considering they are also saying most cases are mild. This disparity probably demonstrates best that the actual information about the source and spread of this virus is sorely lacking. To get better information there needs to be lots more testing but that has lots of cost involved. In other words, let sleeping dogs lie.