• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

I try to keep in mind that the news media often fans the flames. I mean, they have a vested interest in creating a certain level of fear. People watch/read more and they sell more ads, etc.

With that said, there are several well known pandemics that killed millions. The spanish flu near the end of WW-I killed many millions worldwide. And there was the swine flu 50 years later. So pandemics do happen.

I'm taking reasonable precautions - washing hands more frequently, staying off of airplanes for now, etc. That's prudent and easy, so why not?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    I work in NIH and NSF funded laboratories. The NYT has what is publicly disseminated
    Let this not be perceived as implying that the NYT is publishing the press releases of interested parties. :^) Their investigative prowess is formidable, and this is a huge story.

If you have inside information, they do have a tip line on their homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I try to keep in mind that the news media often fans the flames. I mean, they have a vested interest in creating a certain level of fear. People watch/read more and they sell more ads, etc.

With that said, there are several well known pandemics that killed millions. The spanish flu near the end of WW-I killed many millions worldwide. And there was the swine flu 50 years later. So pandemics do happen.
    It depends on what news media you're looking at. Some of them are more biased/sensationalist than others.

On the spanish flu, Gina Kolata wrote an excellent book on this 20 years ago, called "Flu", that nicely sums up that situation, and refers to other resources for deeper research on the part of the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    At least you can still buy respirators if you're wealthy enough.
    If you're a conscientious woodworker, you already _have_ respirators and dust masks etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    OK, I'm curious what beer company and what's the story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    CORONA beer. I'm betting sales are down. Would not be the first time some like named product took a hit.
    Prevent Corona Virus.jpg

Down the drain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    This is probably a bad place to go.. especially since I'm also German (and not as in German heritage). You would likely not like where that topic leads.

For those confused about the name, corona is Latin for crown. Since Spanish is derived, it also means crown. It describes the virus shape.
    Yes perhaps the illustration of "I'm from the government and I am here to help you" Nearly always foretells some catastrophe

I certainly do not know enough about it to form a plan, other than isolating myself. Apparently there is a slightly effective vaccine which my wife called RSV panel 1, but preliminary anecdotal reports show it does somewhat reduce the effects of the Chinese variant. Apparently they had a bulletin at the hospital about it yesterday. Vaccination is mandatory for all hospital employees.

On another note, I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and all dust masks and respirators were sold out. Just sayin.

For better or worse, my wife and I are off to Mexico in four days. Mexico has not reported any cases yet, so I hope we can get in and out without and issues.

For those with trips planned, rather than cancel now, I suggest you wait until closer to see what happens. If it gets bad in Italy, the entire country may be set up as quarantined and the airlines will give refunds. If you just cancel, you won't get much back.

My family and I have been playing a board game called Pandemic. Interesting to see how random events in the game, and a few cards played in the right order can either kill you or let you win.

I've gone thru this entire thread and was struck by a common thought. Information: where to get it and who do you trust. I also noticed this thread - about a possibly apocalyptic end of the universe - was considerably more calm and level headed than any sharpening thread I've ever read here. Says something about us - just not sure what....

IMHO:
    "I'm from the gov and I'm here to help": with the constant denigration of science from this administration, and my former governor in charge of "messaging", I'll be taking everything they say with a couple of cy's of salt. The CDC site seems to have reasonable info, but Pence's influence remains to be seen
    TV: this is where the real fear mongering takes place. I find all of TV to be biased in one way or another, or simply out to sell shit. So as a source of info: worthless
    WHO: one of the best sources of info, IMHO.
    Newspapers: NYT, WP, San Fran Bee, Chi Trib - I guess there is an effort there to be responsible, and keep politics out of it, but they succeed to varying degrees: good for an overview, and to understand different areas of the country.
    Facebook, twitter, etc: worse than worthless. Actually dangerous.

So who do you trust to give you the skinny on whats happening? What sources do you find to be responsible and informed and smart?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

Facebook, twitter, etc: worse than worthless. Actually dangerous.

So who do you trust to give you the skinny on whats happening? What sources do you find to be responsible and informed and smart?
    I like NPR. No adds. They don't seem to take sides on issues much. Just information. https://www.npr.org/sections/news/
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

The Rodeo-Chediski fire happened years ago in Arizona, the largest wildfire to ever ravage the state at the time.
    It got large enough that there was a lot of panic and hysteria, so I remember vividly that the firefighting effort organized a central command of some type, in the field, and from there this one hands-on veteran firefighter guy would give a press press briefing twice per day.
    It wasn't a long briefing; he rattled off the current status, weather conditions, changes since the prior briefing, the day's goals, who should evacuate, who should be concerned, etc, followed by a short Q&A period.
    These briefings cut off all opportunity for misinformation and speculation among news agencies. And I think it helped that the briefings were from the dusty veteran firefighter, not a polished spokesperson or a politician.

So why can't the CDC do something similar? A daily or twice daily briefing from a credible scientist or team of experienced professionals? Every news outlet should broadcast or livestream it, and so you can hear the information directly for yourself. Is this too much to ask?

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 02-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I like NPR. No adds. They don't seem to take sides on issues much. Just information. https://www.npr.org/sections/news/

yes - I forgot them. Agree.

World Health Organization has had some press conferences on YouTube. This is as close to unbiased, fact based information that I have seen. Live now actually. Unfortunately, CDC and other US based information sources are being restricted due to apparently political motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    World Health Organization has had some press conferences on YouTube. This is as close to unbiased, fact based information that I have seen. Live now actually. Unfortunately, CDC and other US based information sources are being restricted due to apparently political motives.
    Well this is too bad. I feel the WHO briefings are just too broad and global to respond to the concerns of a resident of a particular city in a particular state in a particular country. Like I say above, it just creates a large gap within which misinformation can run amok, which then helps fuel unnecessary panic. Just look at this thread. The amount of misinformation is remarkable. Misinformation grows in the absence of credible, accurate information.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 02-28-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Well this is too bad. I feel the WHO briefings are just too broad and global to respond to the concerns of a resident of a particular city in a particular state in a particular country. Like I say above, it just creates a large gap within which misinformation can run amok, which then helps fuel unnecessary panic. Just look at this thread. The amount of misinformation is remarkable.

Which is why I asked about the sources of info that you trust - all the info in this thread is coming from somewhere. And having press conferences like the Rodeo-Chediski fire ones you mention makes too much sense. Politics will not let that happen.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Indiana State Dept of Health, and they have a decent amount of info that ties back to the CDC. The lead on the site is preventing drug overdoses, 2nd is coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Sure hope you bought trip insurance! Soon, if not already, trip insurance won't be available to lots of destinations.
    Trip insurance only covers certain events. If you're afraid to take the trip - but the trip is held - trip insurance is unlikely to cover you. If the tour operator cancels the trip, trip insurance will generally not pay (check your trip insurance but most of them will not pay if the tour operator cancels). If the tour operator cancels the trip you have to look to the tour operator for relief and most will only give you credit on a future tour.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.