50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Because they've been told not to. All information is to be filtered through the Vice President.

Its likely the Vise President has the track record to take on that responsibility; https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...-hiv-outbreak/
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-29-2020 at 4:02 AM.

I've been able to glean these statistics from a number of reliable sources. I think it paints a pretty clear picture.

The virus has a mortality rate of 0.2% for people between the ages of 10-39, 0.4% for people between the ages of 40-49, and 1.3% for people between 50-59. The mortality rate among individuals older than 60 is higher, but could be due to factors such as pre-existing medical conditions, particularly conditions related to smoking. People between the ages of 60-69 have a mortality rate of 3.6%, people between 70-79 have a mortality rate of 8%, and people over the age of 80 have a mortality rate of 14.8%.

According to the CDC, reports indicate that young children “generally” present mild symptoms if they do contract the virus. About 80% of people who contract coronavirus only exhibit mild symptoms.

I'm avoiding China and Iran, washing my hands frequently, and staying off planes for the foreseeable future.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I've been able to glean these statistics from a number of reliable sources. I think it paints a pretty clear picture.

The virus has a mortality rate of 0.2% for people between the ages of 10-39, 0.4% for people between the ages of 40-49, and 1.3% for people between 50-59. The mortality rate among individuals older than 60 is higher, but could be due to factors such as pre-existing medical conditions, particularly conditions related to smoking. People between the ages of 60-69 have a mortality rate of 3.6%, people between 70-79 have a mortality rate of 8%, and people over the age of 80 have a mortality rate of 14.8%.

According to the CDC, reports indicate that young children “generally” present mild symptoms if they do contract the virus. About 80% of people who contract coronavirus only exhibit mild symptoms.

I'm avoiding China and Iran, washing my hands frequently, and staying off planes for the foreseeable future.
    Pretty sensible position to take. As far as the stock market, I wonder if it's been overvalued and just needed an excuse to correct. I'm sure there'll be some effect on the world's economy due to restrictions on travel and trade but hardly the Armageddon some seem to prefer.

There's plenty of solid factual information on the CDC website, and they were doing regular press briefings that anyone could call in to, or listen on the website. Until now, anyway. But they don't control the media and cant push info out without the filter of a scientifically illiterate journalists who want to spin things and add pundit speculation to everything.

The whole public health community from the feds down to hospitals, have been talking and planning for pandemics for a couple of decades now. There have been many exercises at the national, state and local levels over the years, and public meetings and efforts to promote planning by businesses. It just didn't interest the public to know, and no politician ever got elected by saying we need to be prepared for any such event. And of course nobody wants to actually fully fund these kind of efforts because that takes tax money.

If this pandemic fizzles out, it wont be because of leadership, it will be from natural causes (the attenuation of viruses) and the hard work of the thousands of public health workers trying to cut it off. The next one will be along soon enough.

I am concerned about the Coronavirus as many are. Many of us woodworkers are older men. Wood dust has been an issue of frequent discussion. I have had some issues with coughing after woodworking. I am now focusing on keeping a clean shop, cleaning my filters, and wearing a mask when the dust is flying. I want my lungs to be in good shape if I get the infection.

It's a bad thing. But it's being handled and I think people understand they need to be careful; yes, that covers a lot.
    Of course it's going to fizzle out. Jonas Salk ,and others, have stopped terrible medical problems that did not fizzle.

Just found out only minutes ago- 2nd or 3rd hand and I haven't researched it much yet- that some guy with the virus in California decided to leave the hospital and go back home...not sure how he got here but supposedly he's in the hospital right next door to the hotel where our granddaughter, her boyfriend and our first great-grandchild are living, which is only 3 miles from us, too close for comfort...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I take precautions, don't go out as much, avoid contact with lrg groups as much as possible, wipe down the grocery carts and use hand sanitizer a lot LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    It's a bad thing. But it's being handled and I think people understand they need to be careful; yes, that covers a lot.
    Of course it's going to fizzle out. Jonas Salk ,and others, have stopped terrible medical problems that did not fizzle.
    Like all epidemics it will run its course. But the way it stops is that enough people have contracted the illness and developed an immunity to it. Then you have "herd immunity" (like with vaccines) and the transmission stops.

Also, most diseases become less virulent over time. The more virulent versions kill their hosts so they don't get transmitted. The less virulent just make the host ill and that host passes the disease along to others.

Maybe they'll develop a vaccine but I sort of doubt if that can be done fast enough to stop the epidemic. I really doubt if this can be stopped in the US or anywhere else. It'll just have to run it's course.

Mike

[I remember as a kid wondering why more people didn't get polio. The answer is that a lot of people did get polio but the disease was just a cold for most of them. Only a small percentage developed the paralytic symptoms. I wouldn't be surprised if I contracted it as a child but didn't have the serious version. I never got the vaccine until I went in the Army.

For that matter, have you ever wondered why the polio outbreaks only started in the 20th Century? Polio has been around forever but we didn't have summer outbreaks in the 1800's.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-01-2020 at 6:32 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Like all epidemics it will run its course. But the way it stops is that enough people have contracted the illness and developed an immunity to it. Then you have "herd immunity" (like with vaccines) and the transmission stops.
    Maybe. The common cold is caused by a group of coronaviruses, and induces immunity very poorly. It Is not unreasonable to imagine the one behaving similarly. All speculative until the virus is better understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Maybe. The common cold is caused by a group of coronaviruses, and induces immunity very poorly. It Is not unreasonable to imagine the one behaving similarly. All speculative until the virus is better understood.
    Hmm... When I started working with kindergartners 25 years ago I caught every cold that came through. After a couple of years I got colds only rarely. Maybe a coincidence?

So true! My mom works with kids every day for her work and NEVER gets sick EVER.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    Sad thought that the government does not think the people are smart enough to able to get unfiltered, unspun information.
    In this case, the government is right I think. I know some people that have absolute confidence in certain sources and reject all others. Those certain sources are not umm, infallible So not able to recognize unfiltered unspun information when they hear/see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    What does smoking have to do with it? How are you making this link? Yeah the chinese smoke a lot, but correlation is not causation. They also eat some really weird stuff, and that's how this got started.
    I suspect the smoking link might be because smokers' lungs have 2 strikes against them before coming down with a nasty virus.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hmm... When I started working with kindergartners 25 years ago I caught every cold that came through. After a couple of years I got colds only rarely. Maybe a coincidence?
    Which is why I said "poorly." It's not that you don't become immune to a particular strain, but that coronoviruses, evolve new strains easily as they course through populations. So it's not impossible that you get Covid-19 more than once.

I'm not trying to be overly alarmist, but it's just not known yet how this virus will behave.