50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

Coronavirus _ worried?

Are you starting to worry about Coronavirus yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post

Not really, the death rate is less than the flu so it's not worrying me too much even though I am 61 and a heart patient.

I will say from working in schools, it is amazing how fast a flu or stomach virus can race through a school.

Blog Entries
    We go in to town usually at most a couple times a week. If more cases start showing up in our area, we may load up the fridge and freezer and stay home more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Eh, it's coming. Nothing can be done about that. Wash your hands, stay home if you're sick. Don't sneeze/cough into open air, etc etc. Be happy this isn't 100 years ago. FWIW, I regularly work with people in China, I've been concerned about this for them for a bit already and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't hit the US more heavily already.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

It only attacks the old and infirm, re mortality, so keep healthy and get over it. The really awful consequences historically were when these things took down otherwise vigorous young people.

Just say no to anyone offering you a taste of monkey meat, etc. That's where it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It only attacks the old and infirm, re mortality, so keep healthy and get over it.
    That is incorrect. A number of the dead were young healthy people. For example, the thirty something year old physician trying to treat patients in Wuhan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Not really, the death rate is less than the flu so it's not worrying me too much even though I am 61 and a heart patient.

I will say from working in schools, it is amazing how fast a flu or stomach virus can race through a school.
    The death rate is approximated as 2%. Contrast that with typical flu of 0.1% and coronavirus is 20x worse death rate than the flu.

Ed: There are currently 81,714 confirmed cases worldwide, including 2,771 fatalities which equates to a 3.4% death rate
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 02-26-2020 at 8:41 PM.

Misinformation is worse than no information, particularly about things like this where there is a clear lack of good information. The death rate may be significantly worse (or somewhat lower) than the 2% approximated and unfortunately it will take quite a long time (months) to know for sure.

Its not the death rate that's the problem, its the potential for high rates of sick people, filling hospital beds, unable to work and earn money, schools closed, factories and businesses closed due to high rates of absences. Every sick person requires other people to take care of them. Thats a huge drain on a local economy, let alone a country or region. Even if you dont personally get sick, there's an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Even if you dont personally get sick, there's an impact.
    Already has been so far. I'm honestly hoping it doesn't help bring on a recession.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Misinformation is worse than no information, particularly about things like this where there is a clear lack of good information. The death rate may be significantly worse (or somewhat lower) than the 2% approximated and unfortunately it will take quite a long time (months) to know for sure.

If you want to know if it will make you sick, just look at your 401K's value in the last two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    That is incorrect. A number of the dead were young healthy people. For example, the thirty something year old physician trying to treat patients in Wuhan.
    You are correct. I should have said that the mortality _skews_heavily_ towards the old and infirm.

Many more people die of the flu each year.

One choice that was omitted from the poll, was, should we take this more seriously than was done on our behalf? And my answer is yes. There is a big span between devil-may-care and lock-up-your-women-and-children. We can deal with this, intelligently.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-27-2020 at 3:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    One choice that was omitted from the poll, was, should we take this more seriously than was done on our behalf? And my answer is yes. There is a big span between devil-may-care and lock-up-your-women-and-children. We can deal with this, intelligently.
    Are we allowed to criticize the communist chinese government here?

Blog Entries
    Not yet but being one of the old and infirm (74) I take it seriously.

Headed to Italy...

I don't worry but I do have concerns. One concern is a trip planned to Italy in a couple of months. According to our contacts there and the news reports some of our long-planned destinations in Northern Italy are already under lockdown. There are apparently about 400 known cases in Italy now and a dozen deaths. This morning's news indicates seven additional European counties have now reported cases, some involving people who had been to Italy.

If I had a working crystal ball maybe I could decide if I should cancel now and just lose a few thousand dollars already spent. I'm seriously considering staying home. This would even involved close contact with crowds of international travelers at the airports and customs.

Depending on the situation in a few months I can imagine being denied reentry to the US or enduring an extended quarantine on return. Or becoming a statistic.

JKJ