View Poll Results: Pick your current level of personal/family concern

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in my bunker, stocked with supplies

    1 1.11%
  • Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

    50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

    32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

    7 7.78%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 316

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    3,926
    Our local colosseum/civic center has now cancelled all events. State government is moving to work-from-home arrangements for any and all employees and I would guess it will be S.O.P. across the board shortly. We are one of the rare states with zero "reported" cases to date but I'd guess thats just a matter of time.

    Its time for China, Africa, and the rest, to address bush meat. The world has changed. Ritual, tradition, and superstition, pecking the skull caps off monkeys and eating bats and ant eaters can no longer be allowed. The sad part about this entire thing is its going to foment nasty nasty divisions between governments and countries. China is pretty much black balled in this entire thing and perhaps rightly so.

    The global financial impact of this mess is going to be immeasurable and all because of some goofy ritual of live markets and taking home bush meat. If these countries want to isolate themselves theyve done a good job at laying that foundation.
    Sometimes I just want to look at pretty pictures,... Thats when I go to the Turners Forum

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Darcy is right. He is in a big place and I doubt he lets the hordes walk through to get to a bus stop. It's working in
    a quarantine environment. I just wish my cave was that big ! And that the bears would move out !!
    I am headed to just outside new Rochelle NY next week, looking forward to the lack of traffic. Hoping NYC is a ghost town and I can drag the CC LB and 24 foot gooseneck through it.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Its time for China, Africa, and the rest, to address bush meat. The world has changed. Ritual, tradition, and superstition, pecking the skull caps off monkeys and eating bats and ant eaters can no longer be allowed. The sad part about this entire thing is its going to foment nasty nasty divisions between governments and countries. China is pretty much black balled in this entire thing and perhaps rightly so.
    I'm with you on the bush meat thing. But can we still eat possums and coons? In a stew, assuming we heat it to the requisite temperature (rolling boil for at least five minutes once we've skimmed off the fat) you'd think it would be safe. There are still some issues with eating squirrel brains, because that's been shown to be associated with prion poisoning (a.k.a. mad cow disease or a variant thereof.) Did you know that one serving of cow brain has been statistically shown to result in a 4-fold increase in the chance of contracting Creutzfeld-Jacob disease? (Closely related to mad cow.)

    I'm totally with you on the bush meat thing, the Chinese appear to be so offended by any reference to the "Wuhan virus" that they're accusing the US military of planting it there, which has resulted in a diplomatic row. Not kidding here.

    This is a vote in favor of "industrial" animal husbandry. Even hunting (of approved animals) in the US has been an under-the-surface issue for a number of years, the incidence of "chronic wasting disease" in deer-like creatures has been a little-spoken-of deal for a while now, nobody likes to talk about it.

  4. #244
    The English folks are losing their minds and panic buying Loo roll, Pasta and dried rice

    Us Welsh folks are going round licking door knobs trying to get two weeks off work
    You did what !

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    9,984
    Iím now on a 3 week work from home stint, like most of the people where I work.

    Techs have now been split into groups, some at work, some at home.

    Regards, Rod

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    This information is completely incorrect, according to Dr. Fauci who gave an informative interview in CNN's Coronavirus town hall special last night. I thought it was a very informative, factual program. If you don't believe me, stream it and listen for yourself.

    Edwin
    I've certainly heard his talk, as well as several others. The point of flattening the curve is to reduce the level of peak strain on the system. Because there is no cure, no vaccine, all that is hoped is to delay the peak, spread it out over time, thus flattening the curve. The area under the curves will be the same unless a cure or vaccine is discovered. A vaccine is estimated to be 1 year away. The efficacy of a vaccine may not be high. We can just hope that the virus strain mutates a bit so that it is less deadly. Spanish flu in 1918 lasted three waves and 2 years.

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Our local colosseum/civic center has now cancelled all events. State government is moving to work-from-home arrangements for any and all employees and I would guess it will be S.O.P. across the board shortly. We are one of the rare states with zero "reported" cases to date but I'd guess thats just a matter of time.

    Its time for China, Africa, and the rest, to address bush meat. The world has changed. Ritual, tradition, and superstition, pecking the skull caps off monkeys and eating bats and ant eaters can no longer be allowed. The sad part about this entire thing is its going to foment nasty nasty divisions between governments and countries. China is pretty much black balled in this entire thing and perhaps rightly so.

    The global financial impact of this mess is going to be immeasurable and all because of some goofy ritual of live markets and taking home bush meat. If these countries want to isolate themselves theyve done a good job at laying that foundation.
    I agree with your intent. But who gets to decide what kind of meat is no longer allowed?

    I've known people who eat squirrel, rabbit - and even possum, groundhog and carp (fish). I'll bet you might too, living where you do. And what about some of the stuff they eat in Louisiana? Where do we draw the line? And who gets to decide?
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-13-2020 at 4:57 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    And what about some of the stuff they eat in Louisiana? Where do we draw the line? And who gets to decide?
    Well, I'm from Louisiana and I can't think of anything we eat that's all that unusual - raw oysters, alligator, crawfish - but that's not so strange.

    Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    This information is completely incorrect, according to Dr. Fauci who gave an informative interview in CNN's Coronavirus town hall special last night. I thought it was a very informative, factual program. If you don't believe me, stream it and listen for yourself.

    Edwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I've certainly heard his talk, as well as several others. The point of flattening the curve is to reduce the level of peak strain on the system. Because there is no cure, no vaccine, all that is hoped is to delay the peak, spread it out over time, thus flattening the curve. The area under the curves will be the same unless a cure or vaccine is discovered. A vaccine is estimated to be 1 year away. The efficacy of a vaccine may not be high. We can just hope that the virus strain mutates a bit so that it is less deadly. Spanish flu in 1918 lasted three waves and 2 years.
    Well then you and Fauci disagree, because I just heard him (and Dr. Birx) speak at the live White House address and he clearly said blunting the peak shortens, not lengthens the overall epidemic. Blunting the peak means a less severe spike in infections, in other words fewer net people are infected. It is the objective of containment and mitigation.

    It does not mean the same number of infected, just spread out over time.

    Please stream today's White House conference and listen for yourself. On the other hand, if you think Fauci doesn't know what he's talking about, that's a different matter.

    Not trying to be argumentative, but misinformation is serving to make the outbreak worse.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-13-2020 at 7:10 PM.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Well then you and Fauci disagree, because I just heard him (and Dr. Birx) speak at the live White House address and he clearly said blunting the peak shortens, not lengthens the overall epidemic. Blunting the peak means a less severe spike in infections, in other words fewer net people are infected. It is the objective of containment and mitigation.

    It does not mean the same number of infected, just spread out over time.

    Please stream today's White House conference and listen for yourself. On the other hand, if you think Fauci doesn't know what he's talking about, that's a different matter.

    Not trying to be argumentative, but misinformation is serving to make the outbreak worse.
    I will agree to disagree with you on these points.
    I have attached the typical image used to illustrate the concept. Its clear that spike is reduced if the effort is successful, however, the areas under the curves are similar.n_hayes_curve_200309_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg
    Peace

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I will agree to disagree with you on these points.
    I have attached the typical image used to illustrate the concept. Its clear that spike is reduced if the effort is successful, however, the areas under the curves are similar.n_hayes_curve_200309_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg
    Peace

    Well the graphic certainly seems to illustrate what you posted. But it still doesn't make sense to me.
    Is it the presumption that a certain number of people are simply destined to contract the virus, and the point of mitigation is to toll out the cases to reduce the concurrence and thus the load on the health care system?
    Count me confused now.

    It just seems to make so much more sense that the containment and mitigation practices would be intended to help prevent people from getting it at all, ever. As opposed to - you're going to get it no matter what, we just want you to wait your turn.

    Count me confused now.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Well the graphic certainly seems to illustrate what you posted. But it still doesn't make sense to me.
    Is it the presumption that a certain number of people are simply destined to contract the virus, and the point of mitigation is to toll out the cases to reduce the concurrence and thus the load on the health care system?
    Count me confused now.

    It just seems to make so much more sense that the containment and mitigation practices would be intended to help prevent people from getting it at all, ever. As opposed to - you're going to get it no matter what, we just want you to wait your turn.

    Count me confused now.
    Here is an interesting video from a doctor talking about it.
    http://https://youtu.be/vww1nIIoqmw

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well the graphic certainly seems to illustrate what you posted. But it still doesn't make sense to me.
    The graphic does not have any scale other than above or below health care system capacity.

    The goal of protective measures is to stop spreading the virus. Washing hands protects individuals from virus that may have been on a door knob or railing. A person who is not carrying an infection is not going to pass it on. Many commentators on TV have stopped shaking hands. People like myself have started wiping down shopping carts when we enter a store.

    Either way one views the graphic it makes sense to use and encourage protective measures. If it keeps some folks from becoming ill it is a good thing. If for reasons of destiny the same number of people must become ill but stretched out over a longer period of time without overloading our health care system, that might help to keep more of the effected people alive.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Here is an interesting video from a doctor talking about it.
    http://https://youtu.be/vww1nIIoqmw
    You may notice the "Flattening the Curve" graphic is different from the one used from MSNBC:

    Flattening the Curve.jpg

    In this one the base of the timeline is about the same for both curves.

    It seems both graphics have one thing in common. No one knows how many will be infected nor do they know how long it will run.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You may notice the "Flattening the Curve" graphic is different from the one used from MSNBC:

    Flattening the Curve.jpg

    In this one the base of the timeline is about the same for both curves.

    It seems both graphics have one thing in common. No one knows how many will be infected nor do they know how long it will run.

    jtk
    I have heard that you are both right. Flattening the curve will mean healthcare can help more patients survive AND may mean less people are infected from the first wave.

    The Scientist also believe we will need about 60% of the population to become infected (and survive) to develop Heard Immunity to the next waves.
    Last edited by jeff norris 2011; 03-14-2020 at 2:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •