• Yes, this sounds like it might get bad

50 55.56%
  • Not at all worried

32 35.56%
  • What, me worry?

7 7.78%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus _ worried?

yup...I'm invested in a Chinese wealth management company (NOAH), dropped from $39 to $29 in a couple of weeks

I'm in the same boat. Was planning a trip to Barcelona. Think I may eat the loss.

NYTimes "The Daily" had a great podcast this AM about the relative severity of COVID vs previous recent virus epidemics.

Updates:

There are now 528 cases reported in Italy, up about 100 from yesterday, and two more deaths, 14 total.

An Italian regional governor has gone into self-isolation after a staff member was diagnosed with the disease.

My Lovely Bride follows the Rick Steves forum and reports from those with feet on the ground. I'll find out in a bit what she learns today.

The US State Department issued a Travel Advisory yesterday (Wednesday) suggesting to use caution when traveling to Italy. It does not YET recommend to avoid travel to Italy. I'm not totally reassured.

JKJ

Yes, I am worried about catching it. I usually get the flu even though I always get the flue shot. I am not young and healthy strong anymore.

I am also pissed off about how the economy is going to be affected. I was planning on buying a house in another state during the next few months and selling my current house at the end of next summer. That is completely out of phase with what the housing market will be doing.

I would not be planning a trip overseas or to places where crowds will be for the foreseeable future. If travel then I would purchase airline trip insurance unless you are a really healthy teenager. Even then I would do insurance because what ever you are going to attend may be cancelled.

Normally I would step back, but this is important and can get dangerous with misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You are correct. I should have said that the mortality _skews_heavily_ towards the old and infirm.
    We are only gathering data now on who is most vulnerable. This is not necessarily true of COVID-19. It's dangerous. Period. Full stop.

Many more people die of the flu each year.
    Raw numbers, yes. Percentagewise, no! COVID-19 has a 20-fold higher mortality rate than flu. As of now, there are fewer COVID-19 cases than flu. Let's hope it stays that way, but we best prepare for quite the opposite. There are more flu cases, thus more mortality in terms of raw numbers there.

One choice that was omitted from the poll, was, should we take this more seriously than was done on our behalf? And my answer is yes. There is a big span between devil-may-care and lock-up-your-women-and-children. We can deal with this, intelligently.
    We can only hope that the government response is largely not reflected by the embarrassing press conference. There was so much false information (from largely one individual) in that press conference that it is frightening.
    Last edited by William Chain; 02-27-2020 at 10:19 AM.

we are getting prepared for shortages of non-essentials. dog food, chicken food. if the chickens can eat, we have an excellent home grown source of protein. our cellar still has many squash and lots of cans of tomatoes. probably be able to last until the garden starts producing this seasons crop if it does get really bad here. i expect though that this will not effect essentials like food and water too much. I can see problems with stuff like pet food if the virus gains a foothold in the US.

cdc is saying we have our first community transmission in northern CA. So be prepared. It's not prepping, you will use all the supplies eventually. if not this global issue, the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't worry but I do have concerns. One concern is a trip planned to Italy in a couple of months.

If I had a working crystal ball maybe I could decide if I should cancel now and just lose a few thousand dollars already spent. I'm seriously considering staying home. This would even involved close contact with crowds of international travelers at the airports and customs.

Depending on the situation in a few months I can imagine being denied reentry to the US or enduring an extended quarantine on return. Or becoming a statistic.

JKJ
    Sure hope you bought trip insurance! Soon, if not already, trip insurance won't be available to lots of destinations.

People keep saying its not as bad as the flu are wrong. It just started end of 2019 and its made it worldwide. the flue virus starts everywhere lying dormant and hits the numbers it does. COVID-10 started in 1 meet market.

The rate of infection is much greater. 2-3 times greater. Not as bad as smallpox or polio or Measles but we have vaccines for those. And the mortality rate is 20 x greater. All diseases attack the week worse then the rest

We should, at least, be clear that when people refer to influenza they are referring to a normal year.. and standard strain. Not something like H5N1 (which had an obnoxiously high mortality rate).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Updates:

There are now 528 cases reported in Italy, up about 100 from yesterday, and two more deaths, 14 total.

An Italian regional governor has gone into self-isolation after a staff member was diagnosed with the disease.

My Lovely Bride follows the Rick Steves forum and reports from those with feet on the ground. I'll find out in a bit what she learns today.

The US State Department issued a Travel Advisory yesterday (Wednesday) suggesting to use caution when traveling to Italy. It does not YET recommend to avoid travel to Italy. I'm not totally reassured.

JKJ
    Even if you're courageous enough to go anyway, you ought to consider whether the place you're visiting is so disrupted that it takes all the enjoyment out of it. I guess you won't be able to assess that until you get closer to your scheduled travel dates, but it's just another angle to think about.

The wife and I are stocking up on non perishables. We spent most of the winter emptying the freezer and pulling canned goods out of the pantry anyway. We will make room in the freezer again for when the salmon are running this summer. Not bunker, just keeping the food storage topped up.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    We should, at least, be clear that when people refer to influenza they are referring to a normal year.. and standard strain. Not something like H5N1 (which had an obnoxiously high mortality rate).
    And the fact that governments, the medical and pharma, have had YEARS AND YEARS of preparedness against numerous strains of influenza. No different than the rash outbreaks of Ebola that are immediately contained on pretty much a military level, virtually every single entity with a possible vaccine for ebola after all this time has stated they are 1.5 years to release of any quantity that would reasonably put a dent.

Thats the fear with this one. 20x mortality rate, pretty much zero preparedness even though pharma has been on Corona for 10 years (but there was no profit in it so....)...

The bonus to come out of this is the planet may finally see a reduction in the consumption of bush meat. If this hits far enough out in to the sticks individuals may finally realize that markets selling bats, monkeys, and all sorts of other caught wild animals is a grave grave mistake.

Ebola is said to have likely made the jump from A SINGLE HUMAN from a bat, and now has spread to the nightmare it is now. Corona virus has been traced back to a single market in China selling bush meat and likely also made the jump from a bat to a human. We now have 5 strains of Ebola on the planet.

I haven't seen anything that actually points to a source yet. Just a whole lot of conjecture. We have corona viruses spread every year btw. They're not uncommon.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Talk is they may restore some of the funding cuts to the CDC and public health service. The CDC is mad that they got overruled and the state department brought in a plane load of people, including known infected ones. Surprise, surprise some of them got infected on the ride home with the sick ones. Caring is sharing!
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I haven't seen anything that actually points to a source yet. Just a whole lot of conjecture. We have corona viruses spread every year btw. They're not uncommon.
    The outbreak has definitively been traced back to a few dozen workers at a live animal market in Wuhan. Thats fact. Scientists have pointed it to bats, ant eater, and several others though with no definitive conclusion as of yet. The simple fact is bush meat/live animal transfer is where the jump happened. No different than Ebola. Its not a matter of where, its just a matter of the definitive source.