Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ran into a slight problem...

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are on the right track. The main thing is to check for joint tightness before gluing.

I hope your fix works. If it turns out that the oil and wax do cause the repair to come out, here's an option.

Cut a kerf straight down into the gap in the board using an oscillating multi tool, and glue in a veneer shim sized to fit the kerf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    I hope your fix works. If it turns out that the oil and wax do cause the repair to come out, here's an option.

Cut a kerf straight down into the gap in the board using an oscillating multi tool, and glue in a veneer shim sized to fit the kerf.
    Getting a uniform, perfectly straight sided groove with an oscillating tool will be all but impossible. But the idea is a good one. An ultru-thin kerf circular saw blade in the table saw would do the trick. I've got one that is less than 1/16"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tea View Post
    I tried the CA glue and it was still too thin. I ended up mixing a little Titebond 3 and sawdust and it seems to be holding. My bigger question now will be how I am going to sand the small spot through the wax and end up looking the same as the rest of the board.
    Don't sand. Scrape.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...