Thread: Grizzly 15 inch Planer Question

Grizzly 15 inch Planer Question

I've spent some time adjusting this machine, per the Grizzly video. Getting nice results with minimal snipe, except one issue: As the wood enters the machine (and I presume the rollers) it seems to "snap" onto the infeed table, even though the tables are level with the machine base, and the wood is being feed in flat on the table...it seems like when the roller grabs it the slap happens... the lower rollers are just barely above the base of the machine. Does this symptom suggest that the pressure rollers need to be exerting less pressure?
    Thanks for all help!

Lower the table rollers below the table and lubricate the table with Parrafin or sprays stuff. Adjust everything per manual.

The infeed roller does indeed grab the board forcefully, but I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “snap”.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-26-2020 at 4:15 PM.

I have an older Jet 15” planer that looks very similar to the Grizzly planer. I will get a bit of a ‘slap’ or ‘clap’ when feeding shorter boards into my planer. I believe what is happening is that the in-feed pressure roller is grabbing the top leading edge of the board, forcing the leading edge of the board down and causing the end of the board not yet fed into the planer to lift up (it’s actually rotating up) slightly. Once the leading edge of the board is drawn under the in-feed pressure roller, the trailing end of the board ‘slaps’ or ‘claps’ back down a bit on the bed of the planer. The noise I experience is not incredibly loud (compared to the noise of the planer and DC) or unnerving. Longer boards and lighter cuts usually reduce or eliminate the phenomenon from happening. I’d also suspect that reducing the pressure on the in-feed roller would help as well. However, I use my planer for rough stock (some of which is large and heavy) all the way to down to final thickness (absent sanding or hand planing) and if I take anymore pressure off my feed rollers the heavy rough stock gets stuck occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    I've spent some time adjusting this machine, per the Grizzly video. Getting nice results with minimal snipe, except one issue: As the wood enters the machine (and I presume the rollers) it seems to "snap" onto the infeed table, even though the tables are level with the machine base, and the wood is being feed in flat on the table...it seems like when the roller grabs it the slap happens... the lower rollers are just barely above the base of the machine. Does this symptom suggest that the pressure rollers need to be exerting less pressure?
    Thanks for all help!
    Izzy, those lower rollers are causing the snap. You shouldn't ever need them as long as you keep the bed waxed. Lower them below the table and out of the way.

Blog Entries
    Try thinner shavings. I take very thin shavings on my Dewalt and have no issues.