Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: OMG Iím in love. AGIAN.....

  1. #31
    I have the wadkin chain chisel machine, but I won't get rid of it, well at least not for cheap. Finding one here is tough. This one came out of Moosejaw.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    Dam you Mark are you trying to ruin the only fun I have left in my life.

    My body is broken so I canít recreate, my head is has always been broken so I hermitize, I have yet to find a employer to let me obsess to the pint I can feel fulfilled.

    This machine thing is all I got. Well and my dog he is wicked just the best freaking thing ever.

    But no nobody warned me as I donít know a sole that actually gives a shit about this crap in the physical form other than well now Brian lol. But thatís it.

    And Alternax how dare you tell me about something I donít know about that Iím gonna assume I must have to have if you name dropped it lol..

    Really Iím picky, like really picky, itís not so much that I like the right tool for the right job itís more I canít stand doing the job with a inferior tool when I know the right one will allow me the perfect results I expect of myself. But you know I donít think I really need four kinds of mortisers or a tenoner even though I know your joking.

    Just something I can rely on for either task. The Martin tenon table will be my tenoner regardless of if there is a better dedicated solution. I wonít say never but Iím pretty sure Iím not ever gonna be pumping out 6000 of the same exact door. Maybe, I wouldnít say no but I doubt it as nobody knows who the hell I am or what I do to ask me to do the job..

    And so long as I keep up the way Iím keeping up thatís never gonna change. I made a Instagram page thinking it may help long term. Doubt it as I keep to myself so much.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Patrick it's fairly obvious that you need one of each kind of mortiser. So, a small Maka, and a large one, the multi head machine are nice, a automatic slot mortiser for chairs, so either a Bacci like Davids, or a Balestrini like mine. You then need a hollow chisel mortise, may I suggest a combination machine Wadkin or Robinson hollow chisel / chain. And just to round it out a nice French made Alternax. Of course then we will have to start on the tenoners. With all of that you will need a bigger workshop, and you really won't need a house any more at this point as you wont be spending any time there anyway. Did no-one warn you about just how deep this rabbit hole was?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    Send me a pm with the details. But honesty right now I couldn’t do poop and I have a feeling it’s more machine than I bargained for even if in function it’s exactly what I need?


    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have the wadkin chain chisel machine, but I won't get rid of it, well at least not for cheap. Finding one here is tough. This one came out of Moosejaw.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    I have a slot mortiser now. It’s slow and tiring on my carpal tunnel.

    Could be the machine as it’s a you know who. But I don’t know as I have never used another slot mortiser.

    Sadly I’m thinking people might be right about a chisel/chain..

    It’s not what I was thinking nor what I wanted mostly for space and ease of moving. But you know I think I could fit it size wise and if it does what I need I’ll be happy.

    I like this you overseas he likes high gloss what looks like auto body paint like I do.

    Man that those Robinson machines are purity. Wish I could use four letter words as I’d say............
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I agree that a slot mortiser or chain Mortiser are the best for passage doors. Hcm suck when trying to do that work.

  5. #35
    I had the perfect small shop chain mortiser, a festo PP.

    I think a maka would suit your needs, they are super capable machines and don't take up a bunch of room.

    No, I am not selling my Wadkin combo. Lol.

  6. #36
    I've used Wysong and Oliver mortisers, and would be happy with either. No one likes to cop to breaking a hollow chisel,
    but no matter how carefully you set them up and how careful you are ,they just don't last long in hard woods. For that
    reason ,and for the precision of the cuts , I see the Maka as superior.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    Come on wtf throw a carrot out like that.

    And to me, place nice Darcy.

    In all reality I could even afford it for months anyhow.

    The more I look I want one of those Robinsonís chain/chisels from the guy in the UK and Iíll just deal with a transformer.

    But if you did change your mind

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    Iím understand now why Brisn has both maka and chisel.

    Mark has a maka Iíd be smitten to own but at last I spend ti quick and would really need to prepare for such a purchase.

    Iíd love to own a piece of his work though one OCD perfectionist weirdo to another.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I’m understand now why Brisn has both maka and chisel.

    Mark has a maka I’d be smitten to own but at last I spend ti quick and would really need to prepare for such a purchase.

    I’d love to own a piece of his work though one OCD perfectionist weirdo to another.
    There was a maka svt local to me last Feb. Went for about $500iirc. Freshly rebuilt head per the shop selling. After looking in person I realized I didn't have enough space for the stv, but a m6 would be perfect.
    00e0e_3pHQELO7wnn_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_gtzsls8lIoo_600x450.jpg

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Inkerman, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    591
    Abandon all hope ye who enters the old iron rabbit hole.

    Patrick, I am just enjoying watching the descent into madness of another innocent soul, it is one of the few pleasures in life.

    Happiness is not for us, pain and suffering is our lot. The restless souls, tortured, driven to insanity searching for the mythical absolute.

    Happ
    iness is for the well balanced, the good-enough's, the Norman normals of this world. People who can see a mountain and are not compelled to climb it, a horizon and are not consumed with finding out what is out there, those who don't have to get their dial indicators to register all 0's before they can move on.
    The people that can use a thickness planer that leaves a little snipe.

    You my friend are toast.

    A little wisdom to cushion your fall;

    What's the difference between a $1,000 table and a $10,000 table

    $9,000...ÖÖ.. that's all... the tables are identical.

    Perceived value has nothing to do with actual value.

    Many years ago a customer asked me to build him a Krenov style silverware chest.... because, he didn't want to pay Krenov prices for it.

    Anyone can build furniture as good as Krenov, Nakashima, Malloof or any other famous person. Furniture is easy to make, once you have paid your dues, and know what you are doing.
    Getting paid for it depends on one thing only .....public perception.
    If you remain a hermit, you get $1000 for your table, if you are lucky.
    If you become famous you get $10,000 or $20,000 for the same table.

    Being a hermit may be the biggest hurdle that you have to overcome if you want to survive.





    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Dam you Mark are you trying to ruin the only fun I have left in my life.

    My body is broken so I canít recreate, my head is has always been broken so I hermitize, I have yet to find a employer to let me obsess to the pint I can feel fulfilled.

    This machine thing is all I got. Well and my dog he is wicked just the best freaking thing ever.

    But no nobody warned me as I donít know a sole that actually gives a shit about this crap in the physical form other than well now Brian lol. But thatís it.

    And Alternax how dare you tell me about something I donít know about that Iím gonna assume I must have to have if you name dropped it lol..

    Really Iím picky, like really picky, itís not so much that I like the right tool for the right job itís more I canít stand doing the job with a inferior tool when I know the right one will allow me the perfect results I expect of myself. But you know I donít think I really need four kinds of mortisers or a tenoner even though I know your joking.

    Just something I can rely on for either task. The Martin tenon table will be my tenoner regardless of if there is a better dedicated solution. I wonít say never but Iím pretty sure Iím not ever gonna be pumping out 6000 of the same exact door. Maybe, I wouldnít say no but I doubt it as nobody knows who the hell I am or what I do to ask me to do the job..

    And so long as I keep up the way Iím keeping up thatís never gonna change. I made a Instagram page thinking it may help long term. Doubt it as I keep to myself so much.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    Ouch mark,

    That stings, it really does. Like pretty bad.

    Because I know it to be very true. Maybe it’s obvious from a distance but for me it has taken decades to come to understand the truth you so easily observed and simply spoke.

    Coming out of my shell “namely marketing myself” in any shape or form is very very painful for me as in all honestly I have 100% zero interest in doing so. It always feels dishonest as if I’m blowing smoker up the other persons ass as largely I’d rather being doing just about anything else than shooting the shit. The only place this does not apply is to Woodworking and machinery. Then you know I won’t go home lol..

    I’m so content just muttering along by myself. It’s not that I find interacting with others painful so to speak. But 40 hrs of human interaction is plenty for me. It’s that I just crave feverishly for alone time and can never find enough. With all life’s responsibilities along side making a living those 40 hrs and I just need to be alone.

    I also feel zero need to put on a show or sell/market myself in the slightest. For whatever reason I have always been perfectly content that either you like me or you don’t and I’m not the slightest bothered when you don’t. Not that I see marketing as making people like you I just hate putting on a show or a bullshit smile or being overly friendly trying to win someone’s business. It’s ironic though as I’m like a pro at it so every employer I have ever had tells me. I always find a way to connect with clients and clients always really like me.

    Point is other than survival I have zero internal motivation to scrounge up the impetus to do as you suggested. In my early years I didn’t understand how integral it would become to d]securing my place in this world. At 43 I get it now and it really kinda sucks as you Know I could live in a shed Siberia have my food air dropped to me never see another person again and be blissfully turn to ether.

    I understand this does not work if your concerned with survival in this modern world.

    I edited this as I responded at work on a break silly fast earlier today. As typical to me I made a mess.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-27-2020 at 6:15 PM.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamstown,ma
    Posts
    988
    If you do ever look into a hollow chisel machine, Wysongs are really some of the better US ones.
    Skip anything that is Oliver, as I have yet to see one with a stout fence. Matter of fact, skip anything that has a poor excuse for a back fence like the Ollie, unless you are doing only small scale cabinet or sash work.
    Full size doors are much better on a machine with a real back fence.

    Collecting machines, is like my buddy said about drinking beer- he is a professional- "One is too many, and 30 ain't enough!"

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    6,389
    Blog Entries
    7
    We can drive off the deep end, which is fun to do but frankly I’m pretty satisfied with the Wadkin DM and Maka. For a tight space like mine the SM6 is good and for a big space the STV. I’ve not used the STV but I expect that it covers the complete range of mortises which can be cut by chain mortiser.

    Im also in need of economizing my space and this covers a ton of stuff for me while consuming about 10ft sq in total (both machines).

    It’s probably a benefit in many ways that I do not have the space as I could easily see 4-5 machines additional.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    You know it’s really funny I got this old iron bug so bad. Ironic really as I loved shiny new crap to start.

    Part of the allure to new shiny was the lie I told myself the stuff would operate flawless without any effort regarding accuracy. I have had that experience with my Martin jointer but that’s it.

    I think part of what threw me over the edge into this as it has taught me side by side as a maker the skills “required” to be worth a crap as a maker. It didn’t take long for me to get that as a maker you must be able to tune, maintain and repair your machines. Mostly I came to this when I folded and decided to rely on machinery repair techs only to be left disappointed and broke.

    Ultimately the machine thing has unfolded as most anything I get into does. Normally the first thing for me is insecurity or fear or lack of belief in myself. I then sit silently on the sidelines gathering the knowledge tools and resources nessiary to execute my desires in a manner that I pretty much can assure success or dam close to it the first time. These machines have been a bit like that. Restoring them has gone had and hand with my development and ability as a woodworker.

    And yeah part of the obsession is I just have a compulsive personality. I’m also a perfectionist so convincing yourself you gotta have exactly the right tool for the job is pretty easy. Funny though the longer I work wood the more I pair down my kit and the less tools I rely upon.


    Your 30 pack analogy is pretty much a dead ringer and a I t of reference a younger me can directly relate to lol.

    At this point I just want one of everything “I need” you know and the coolest most obscure yet highly functional one. The unicorn so to speak I have very little interest anymor4 in anything new other than a planer to go with my jointer. I am not rich regardless of how it may appear looking from the outside in. So this is kinda perfect for me as I can find a heap for hundreds to a few grand then dump a hundred here a hundred there to fulfill my ocd machine fetish.

    Sadly it’s the Robinson or Wadkin for me at this point and probably the chisel/chain. And you know a Maka the small one. I did see a wysong a couple weeks ago in person. It was wicked nice and more than I’d ever need. But once I get my head set on something I’m screwed. And that Robinson is just stupid nice.

    And mark yeah I’m totally screwed. As a result I’d imagine many whom also understand this specific form of screwed are having quite a bit of fun watch me fall deeper and deeper into this hole.


    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    If you do ever look into a hollow chisel machine, Wysongs are really some of the better US ones.
    Skip anything that is Oliver, as I have yet to see one with a stout fence. Matter of fact, skip anything that has a poor excuse for a back fence like the Ollie, unless you are doing only small scale cabinet or sash work.
    Full size doors are much better on a machine with a real back fence.

    Collecting machines, is like my buddy said about drinking beer- he is a professional- "One is too many, and 30 ain't enough!"

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    2,469
    Pretty much i 100% agree with this and am In exactly the same situation.

    It was pretty much seeing Brian’s machines and having the conversation with him exactly as he just stated that inspired the mortiser kick. I’d been thinking of one but it had yet to be a priority and I knew I didn’t know exactly what I wanted.

    It was a ah ha moment when I saw the machine. I don’t have the room for huge everything as I’ll have three very huge machines in my tiny 100sqft basement shop.

    But I am committed to having one of everything I feel I need and or want to do quality work efficiently in a manner I enjoy doing it.

    Im not much for struggling along with crap machines. I’m willing to do that 40 hrs a week for money but that’s about it. On my time no way or I just want do it. When I’m old and retire I’m gonna finally be able to build cool shit and not have to spend my time squaring this fence or that fence. Adjusting the panel again or emptying the dam dust collector ad huffing dust like 500 times a hour. I just don’t find it fun at all but for $$ it’s better than digging ditches.


    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    We can drive off the deep end, which is fun to do but frankly I’m pretty satisfied with the Wadkin DM and Maka. For a tight space like mine the SM6 is good and for a big space the STV. I’ve not used the STV but I expect that it covers the complete range of mortises which can be cut by chain mortiser.

    Im also in need of economizing my space and this covers a ton of stuff for me while consuming about 10ft sq in total (both machines).

    It’s probably a benefit in many ways that I do not have the space as I could easily see 4-5 machines additional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •