Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too thick arbor?

Blog Entries
    Update on this...

I ended up choosing the "do nothing yet" approach, figuring that as I used multiple different blades over the course of time I would learn more...

Interestingly, all these months later, all blades go on and off as easily as I would have expected based on previous experiences on other saws.

My only thought is that perhaps the arbor had received so few blade changes before I bought it (it was VERY lightly used when I purchased it) and had some minor burrs (although my bare hand could not detect them?) and they have since worn away during normal use.

Shrug... totally weird one, but all is well again now... and I guess I learned that, in rare cases, giving something like this a little more time to present additional data points is a decent strategy.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

+1 for some sandpaper, but honestly, you don't want a 32nd of slop between the arbor and the blade.
    Regards,

Tom

I wonder if the previous owner somehow dinged the arbor just a bit.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    How many different blades have you put on the saw? I'd have a tendency to remove a little from the blade vs the arbor. But that's just me.
    If some blades fit correctly and others didn't I'd be thinking blades as well. It sounds like ALL blades are too snug which point to the arbor diameter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Try using a strip of emery cloth on the running arbor to take a few tenths off of it's diameter. Abom79 trick.
    I had a Jet contractor saw with the same issue & that's what I did to fix it. Worked perfectly & only took a few seconds of "grinding"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The arbor on my slider is pretty darn snug with my blades...very close tolerance. Fortunately, I don't change blades very often.
    My old hybrid (that I am currently using in temp quarters) and my Saw Stop both fit quite snug. The blade goes on and off OK if kept perpendicular to the shaft. If it is off more than a degree or so it will bind on both. TK blades not so much as 'industrial' (thick blank) blades but this made sense once I thought on it a bit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler