Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermatic PM1000 Motor Upgrade Question

I have a 1 1/2 hp Unisaw I bought forty years ago. I have used it a lot -- it has helped build a couple hundred cabinets and pieces of furniture. I've never found big need to upgrade to higher horsepower. Perhaps 3 hp would be good if I were regularly ripping 3"-thick hardwood with a high feed rate, but otherwise my existing power works just fine. So I'd suggest you buy the 1 3/4 hp PM1000, and not worry about it.

I agree with Jamie. Unless you're ripping heavy stuff all the time, there's not much to be gained from a bigger motor except feed rate. So you spend 15 minutes/day ripping instead of 7 minutes/day. So what? A bigger motor will also consume more kWh (regardless of load), be more expensive to replace, etc etc. You also won't be able to stall it as easily if you get into trouble.

Other than slightly reducing the likelihood of kickback, I don't see a lot of benefit from a bigger motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I have a 1 1/2 hp Unisaw I bought forty years ago. I have used it a lot -- it has helped build a couple hundred cabinets and pieces of furniture. I've never found big need to upgrade to higher horsepower. Perhaps 3 hp would be good if I were regularly ripping 3"-thick hardwood with a high feed rate, but otherwise my existing power works just fine. So I'd suggest you buy the 1 3/4 hp PM1000, and not worry about it.
    That may well be true but 2 things to consider. I have no idea how I may using the saw in future and even if I never have to upgrade it's good to know beforehand if it's even possible.
    Good chance I would never need to but I have popped the breaker and bogged the Bosch jobsite saw I have which claims 4hp which I don't believe. The tech guy also pointed out if/when I do get 220v out there the motor can be wired for it and, according to him, run more efficiently than off 110V

I'd buy the 3HP saw and then take one of two approaches:

1. Find a way to get 240V to the saw.

2. Buy a 1 3/4HP motor for the saw and keep the 3HP for when you have 240v.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    The tech guy also pointed out if/when I do get 220v out there the motor can be wired for it and, according to him, run more efficiently than off 110V
    Don't put too much stock in that. The only way the motor will run better or more efficiently is if it's a long way to the panel & the wiring isn't properly sized for the voltage drop. 120V or 240V, the motor windings don't care because with 120V they are in parallel, 240V they are in series. So each winding is always seeing just 120V.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    bogged the Bosch jobsite saw I have which claims 4hp which I don't believe.
    And you are right not to believe that...many tools with universal motors like that small jobsite saw state HP right at the point of failure. Shop vacs are the largest ofender for that, but portable saws are right up there. HP on induction motors that are used on cabinet saws and even most contractors' style saws are more consistently rated.

The claim of a dual voltage motor running "more efficiently" is kinda bogus in most cases, too. There have been a few saws historically that had dual voltage motors thad had extra windings so they would have slightly more horsepower at 240v (1.5 vs 2) but that's not common. The total amperage draw when you switch voltages on most 1ph induction motors remains the same for the same work...it's just flowing over two separate conductors. that may be what the dude is referring to with his "efficiency" statement, but the math still comes up the way it does.

You can do good work with the existing motor and I agree with the others that a sharp blade and appropriate feed rate goes a long way. It sounds like you can put a more powerful motor on there in the future if you want to, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John:

The mounting of the motor whether it is C-face or foot mount will be different. A 56 or a 145 frame to a 182 frame. Shaft diameter will be larger. The pulley and belt system will probably need to be changed, not just due to shaft size, but also due to the Hp being transmitted. If the pulleys are sized for a 2hp drive the 3hp will damage them. Depends what's on their now.

Brian