Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G1023 Table Saw - Discontinued Blade Arbor

Grizzly G1023 Table Saw - Discontinued Blade Arbor

My table saw is a Grizzly G1023 purchased back in 2000. I have changed arbor and bearings in 20089 - 2009 time frame. I have to change them again. The issue this time is the arbor is no longer available because they do not make right tilt blade table saws any longer. Parts are no longer available.

I have a difficult time giving companies my business when they discontinue supplying parts for products I have purchased and still own.

I was seriously considering purchasing a new G1033X planer. I am glad I found a used Powermatic 209HH planer.

It will be a long time before consider a Grizzly machine again.

I have the old arbor, so I will make a drawing of the part and take it to a machine shop for this one.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I don't think I would buy a saw from a company whose saw arbor becomes irreparably damaged twice, even if I could buy the part. That isn't a very common failure. Of course, replacement bearings can be bought lots of places.

Blog Entries
    I feel your pain on unavailable parts. Companies that retail in our current-state, self-inflicted Wal-Mart world have to draw the line somewhere in order to stay viable. It has been 20 years after all. Before you dog a budget-level machine that has given you 20 years of service, try finding an arbor for a 20 year old Powermatic Just food for thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've replaced bearings on 50 year old Unisaws and the arbor was like new. Horrible metallurgy to destroy 2 arbors in 20 years.

My Powermatic PM66 table saw isn't much older and very little is still available for it. Why does the arbor need replacing? Do you use the saw all the time? 12 years isn't that long for bearings. I just replaced the original bearings on my PM66. 25 years and the grease was drying out. I replaced mine with Timken bearings that will probably outlast me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    My table saw is a Grizzly G1023 purchased back in 2000. I have changed arbor and bearings in 20089 - 2009 time frame. I have to change them again. The issue this time is the arbor is no longer available because they do not make right tilt blade table saws any longer. Parts are no longer available.
    Sorry, but I don't believe this is correct. I've got the original G1023, which was made ~1990s, and the parts are still available, including the arbor. https://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023/parts

You need to access the parts store here: https://www.grizzly.com/parts enter your model number, and select the appropriate parts from the diagram.

I helped a friend find and replace his arbor. The bearing froze and spun the journal. After much looking and talking I bought a new arbor, bearings, and everything needed from Ebay for about $100. A delta uni saw arbor fits perfactly. Grizzly cloned the uni saw right down to the arbor and bearings. If I remember right there are a couple of different arbores so make sure that the pictures on ebay match your arbor.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    I'm curious as to how 2 arbors got ruined. Theoretically, there's nothing that should wear out on an arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Sorry, but I don't believe this is correct. I've got the original G1023, which was made ~1990s, and the parts are still available, including the arbor. https://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023/parts

You need to access the parts store here: https://www.grizzly.com/parts enter your model number, and select the appropriate parts from the diagram.
    Sorry, but go ahead and punch in the part number. PN. P1023045 and it will tell you it is discontinued. I did this last night on their website and got the same answer. Also spend a half hour on the phone with a Grizzly rep like I did this morning and you will find the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Sorry, but go ahead and punch in the part number. PN. P1023045 and it will tell you it is discontinued. I did this last night on their website and got the same answer. Also spend a half hour on the phone with a Grizzly rep like I did this morning and you will find the same thing.
    Okay, cool, sorry to hear it's not that simple. Have you tried one of the "newer" arbors? I've ordered one of the new doors from the G1023, and it fit my old saw exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Okay, cool, sorry to hear it's not that simple. Have you tried one of the "newer" arbors? I've ordered one of the new doors from the G1023, and it fit my old saw exactly.
    I was thinking about trying that. Otherwise, I will take the arbor to one of the machine shops I deal with and see what they can do to make a new one. I think Taiwan steel used might not be up to par. It should be at minimum 1045 and the bearing fit needs to be tight enough. With these small bore bearings, it can be tough for some machinists and machines to hold the tolerance tight enough.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I've replaced bearings on 50 year old Unisaws and the arbor was like new. Horrible metallurgy to destroy 2 arbors in 20 years.
    Thats what I am thinking too. Also shaft size (or tolerance) might not be right for the bearing fit. Typically the spinning race should be a tight fit and the held race should be slightly loose, depending on application.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    My Powermatic PM66 table saw isn't much older and very little is still available for it. Why does the arbor need replacing? Do you use the saw all the time? 12 years isn't that long for bearings. I just replaced the original bearings on my PM66. 25 years and the grease was drying out. I replaced mine with Timken bearings that will probably outlast me.
    I dont use the saw that much, especially with all the turning I have done over the last 9 years. I suspect either steel quality or bearing fit. I normally use SKF bearings, but Timken are a very good bearing as well. Timken only made tapered roller bearings until the 90s when they bought out Torrington. However, Timken makes some of the best steel in their South Canton steel mill. They couldnt buy good enough steel for their high speed tapered roller bearings for gearbox applications, so they built their own steel mill. A lot of bearing companies by steel from them.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Hopefully this will help. It looks like you can use a right tilt delta unisaw arbor.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showt...7348837&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Hopefully this will help. It looks like you can use a right tilt delta unisaw arbor.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showt...7348837&page=3
    Thanks, Tom Bussey pointed that out too. I found them for anywhere from $174 to $250.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich