Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Justify a Nova Drill Press...

Quote Originally Posted by H. Gregory Porter View Post
    Good decision. The question I always ask is “What other tools do I need / want that I cannot get now by choosing this purchase?”.
    I know it is pretty much blasphemy, but I am actually pretty much good for tools.

I have the quality/size/quantity of all the tools I need right now. I would rather be buying more wood.

I like the 3 pulley/2 belt system; I can change to any of the 16 speeds in well under a minute and the one I use has been maintenance free for 17 years now.
    Zach

You can get the workbench top model of the Nova if that would work for you at a considerable savings.

Since you already have a decent drill press and you are OK with it, save the coin for some really nice lumber for the ultimate project.
    On the other hand, my decision to get a Nova was driven by my old drill press, a 70's era Rockwell drill press with 4 pulley adjusted speeds, and no crank for the table height adjustment. Loosen a bolt and muscle the table and auxiliary table up or down. A real pain in the biceps.
    A Nova will help you select the proper speed for the job at hand, 6" quill travel, and most appreciated, a crank to adjust the table height.
    You will get over the price after using it a few times.

You know, if we all were content to use a contractor table saw, few here would be using expensive and sophisticated sliders.

Got a hollow mortice machine? Why not a Jet instead of that Wysong or Wadkins? Hey, I use a router or mortice chisel.

I did purchase a Nova Voyager near the end of last year. It replaced a 25 year old Taiwanese pillar drill. The old machine did the job, but barely. But did the job. Now I can set the correct speed and not run the risk of burning bits, set a depth control precisely ... precisely! And 6" depth of drilling. That is awesome! The Nova can be set for repetitive drilling. I love the power and effortlessness of this through hard wood (and I work with very hard wood). The construction is strong enough to also act as a spindle sander (I have an idea to build a beaut when the current project is done).

And it is cool looking (most important of all)

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-28-2020 at 7:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Put a three phase motor and vfd on your existing DP. I do like the 6" stroke on my walker turner 20" DP.
    I see nothing about the nova my 70 year old DP does not have with it's VFD. The lifting rack looks flimsy to me. and I see no bearing to help it rotate with the table.
    If you buy any old Dp with a factory mounted 3 phase motor you will get a decent quality tool and pay less then for a single phase one.
    Bil lD.

I have $1156 in my very clean used Clausing with a real table/elevator, 2 speed, Reeves drive, driven with a VFD so I don't have to start the phase converter to drill a hole. Would not trade it for 10 Novas, because it does everything better. Weighs 800 pounds, and when I am done using it it will be worth every penny I have in it if not more.

I wouldn't buy one at half the price. Instead I have a medium size Rockwell, that normally runs at moderately high speed, and a large Delta, that normally runs at its lowest speed.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Derek
    Given all the beautiful work you do you really deserve a few more square feet. Not having to roll them out would be a much bigger upgrade than better machines.

Thank you Tom. May I use you as a reference when appealing to the Commissioner of Taxation?

Regards from Perth

Derek

My DP is the most used machine in my garage shop. Seems every hobby I have, involves using the DP. I've had several DPs, finally working my way up to a very large, electronic variable speed drill/mill. If I were purchasing today, I'd get the DP you're looking at. Electronic variable speed, low runout and long spindle travel are the key factors that would make my decision and I think this machine has them all. It's amazing how much better experience I have when using a great DP, as opposed to one that makes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    My DP is the most used machine in my garage shop. ...
    That may well be the key point that drives a decision.

Everyone works differently and often do vastly different things. For example, the lathe and bandsaw are the most used tools in my shop so they are the best I can afford.

I have two drill presses, one for wood and one for metals in my little weld/fab shop, plus a variable speed mill and a mill-drill. My two belt-change Delta drill presses are perfect for most of what I do. The milling machine is there if I need more. Someone with different uses will choose differently.

JKJ

There are some tools that are just a joy to use. My Nova Voyager is one of those tools, for me.

The reason we have hobbies is for the joy of it, so do what brings you joy. If the $ would bring more joy elsewhere, then spend your $ elsewhere.

Andy - Arlington TX

Today the local Rockler store had the Voyager at $1299 with the placard reading limited to stock on premises. The drill press bearing the placard looked shopworn, slight rust on the column gearing. I fled without ascertaining if the sale included NIB stock.

Opps! I assumed the op was in USA. I now recommend buy the nova since it is probably very hard to find any good old cast iron DP's Australia. Is three phase power common in Australasia to regular city houses and farms?
    My nephew lived in NZ for a few years so I understand shipping will be a deal killer for most stuff. The US post office is only airmail to NZ no slower cheaper methods by the post office.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-29-2020 at 10:15 PM.