Thread: Defibrillator Event

Blog Entries

Defibrillator Event

Recently one of the members mentioned that he was getting a Pace Maker and was concerned about being around tools. I commented that I have had 5 PM/Defibrillators over the past 14 years and never had a problem with any tool in the shop. I spoke too soon. I was in the shop 2 weeks ago and got covered with sawdust. I blew off the sawdust with my electric leafblower and apparently the leafblower got too close to my defibrillator. I have done this many times in the past and never had a problem. On this day I got super dizzy and knew I was going to pass out. I tried to back-up to a chair, but I didn't make it. I came to on the floor and did not have my cell phone. I was able to crawl over to the wall phone and called my wife that was in the house. The next day, I called the cardiologist and they checked my defibrillator over the phone. They confirmed that I had been shocked. When I told them that I had not felt anything, they said that I was unconscious and would not have felt it. The heart apparently is working but when I passed out, I must have landed on my tail bone and that has not recovered. Just a word on caution to members that have a Pace Maker, Defibrillator or some other implantable device, BE CAREFUL...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Happy you are ok. It sounds like you had an arrhythmia and then the defib did its job to deliver a shock. Are you thinking the leaf blower caused your arrythmia?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Happy you are ok. It sounds like you had an arrhythmia and then the defib did its job to deliver a shock. Are you thinking the leaf blower caused your arrythmia?
    I'm thinking it was the leaf blower. ????? I was holding it up to blow the sawdust off my pants.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970

Glad you are OK, wonder if there is any way you could wear some kind of shielding in a shop apron?

Glad you are doing better Von.

Von, is your defibrillator also doing heart pacemaking for you? Note: modern defibrillators and pacemakers have quite a lot of data stored that can be read by the proper equipment. Your cardiologist should be able to do an extensive diagnostics report.

My shop is in the barn so I always keep a small walkie-talkie with me if I need help. It is much easier to operate than a phone if you need help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Von, is your defibrillator also doing heart pacemaking for you? Note: modern defibrillators and pacemakers have quite a lot of data stored that can be read by the proper equipment. Your cardiologist should be able to do an extensive diagnostics report.
    Mine does it all. Paces and shocks. I'm on #5 now. Have had 8 heart surgeries. Have 3 wires inside my heart and 2 wires screwed to the left side of my heart. Ejection fraction is 15% - 20%, and I stay in Afib 24/7. Have been shocked over 12 times, 3 times that I was conscious for. Old age is not for sissies.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970

I think Pat is probably right. The leaf blower so close may have confused the pacemaker, which left you alone with your A-Fib long enough that with the Ejection Fraction so low, your brain starved for oxygen, and you keeled over.

With the blower further away from your body, the pacer got back on line and zapped you, returning you to the control of the now working pacer.

IE: Saved your bacon.

Glad you're OK Von. Nice to hear a success story.

Fellow A-Fib guy, on second unit, with no DeFib. I do have a bit of experience with it, got zapped several times over the years at the hospital. One time they put me to sleep and zapped me 16 times before I converted. They say I hold the hospital record. I was sore for a few days.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.