Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gutters On House

Wiss's are adjustable, but I got tired of fooling with them, and tried some Milwaukee snips. Now, my roofing, and sheetmetal toolboxes have only Milwaukee snips in them, for the regular sized ones. But you're right, whichever one I pick up first is not the one I need.

In this market, "Leaf Guard" is the top brand of gutters. They are a one piece, formed on site gutter. One customer had them on an addition that was located under pine trees. Carpenter bees got into facia board, requiring replacement. When I took gutters down, only thing in them was some roof granuales, no pine needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    In this market, "Leaf Guard" is the top brand of gutters. They are a one piece, formed on site gutter. One customer had them on an addition that was located under pine trees. Carpenter bees got into facia board, requiring replacement. When I took gutters down, only thing in them was some roof granuales, no pine needles.
    For what they cost you could have regular gutters cleaned for over 10 years

I have Leafguard on the back of my house. Expensive, but I don't have to deal with cleaning gutters or finding someone to clean them. The gutter is a single 53 foot piece that cost $1,700 installed. I declined to do the front after choking on the cost for the back.

This was in 2016. Leafguard at least doubled in price from when I had them put on my previous house in 2002. There was inflation since 2002, but inflation was only 40%, not 100%.

Golly, I've heard Leafgaurd is good ,but I could never have guessed they are so expensive. I bought the regular made on site stuff and put the spongy insert in them . Bought those at Costco and they work well. I think more than one company
    sells them. The sponge kinda' works like the Leafguard top covers. I think they have been up 3or 4 years.

The Leafguard cost $32 per foot. I put a regular gutter on my detached garage for $10 per foot. (Garage doesn't have trees near it.) $10 per foot was expensive for plain seamless gutters, but the job was fairly small.

The local Leafguard installer often has 50% off labor or even free labor. The gimmick is that they charge very little for labor and a LOT for materials. The savings, even with free labor, is minimal.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 02-29-2020 at 10:24 AM.