Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gutters On House

Blog Entries

New Gutters On House

We are having them installed today.
    The contractor showed up with a truck that has a gutter machine in it. They can extrude complete lengths of gutter as needed. I am impressed.

I hated cleaning gutters. 10 years ago I installed a French drain system. No gutters for long time, it was great.
    When we were getting ready to sell our house, the realtor said regardless of the efficiency of the system, no one in Iowa would want a house without gutters. $2,000 later we had gutters.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    They are installed and the truck is gone.

Charlie, you were lucky the realtor knew someone in the biz !!!

Blog Entries
    It's cool to watch a 40' long gutter come out of a truck that's only 18' long. They've been doing gutters that way for probably 40 or 50 years around here.

On-site extruded seamless gutters are the best way to do it!

Charlie, it would be nice to be able to do diffusers and a French drain, but many of us have properties that are not suitable for that, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There's always another level of "best". These don't come in lengths longer than 26' (if I'm remembering correctly), but they come shipped in boxes that you can walk on, with each piece separated by a foamy paper. You have to pay for the boxes though, in addition to the gutters.

https://classicgutters.com/product-c...-round-gutter/

One of the things I like about them is that they are completely unobstructed, along the top.

Today, we went to check on a house that I put these on several years ago. It has the 6" half rounds, with 4" round downspouts. Out the end of each downspout was a big extruded line of leaves. They're really easy to clean out with an elbow on the pressure washer, but there is never much in them to blast out.

No gutters here. I specifically asked the contractor not to install them when he built the house. We are surrounded on 3 sides by trees, many close to the house. I have good French drains around the perimeter and have had no problems with water in the basement. We are also the second house from the top of the hill and the landscaping slopes away from the house on all sides. Gutters would need to be cleaned at least 3 times each fall on a 2 story house.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Copper is good!! But I think those half round things look best up high ! Where money is not a problem , there are options. One house we worked on had a room designed to look added on. Stainless steel " Terne coated " roof so it could be
    painted. Rest of the place had slate . All gutters on house were built in. House had 3 heating systems!
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-25-2020 at 6:25 PM.

I have the cheap gutters on our house, but I don't have downspouts. I like a big overhang, so they're well away from the house. The downstream end is wide open, and down below, on the ground is a large Granite rock with the top sloping away from the house. We have large overhanging trees, but there is never any gutter cleaning needed. They're self cleaning. The stones were free because we have an almost unlimited supply around the abandoned rock quarry on our place. The size was only limited by what my loader could pick up.

I think it was 2012 when the company making Terne coated went out of business. Is it available any more? I think roll formed panels put that under.

I almost put Terne coated stainless on a house I was building in 1991, but then I checked the price of copper, and it was 90 cents a pound. Break even cost would be the second time the roof needed to be painted, so I went with copper. The last time I checked, several years ago, rolls of copper were 10 bucks a pound.

We have some friends with a house with unpainted TCS, but it is showing some signs of rust. I'm not sure how old it is, and it's been several years since I've seen it, so don't know what they ended up doing.

We have half round Zinc Gutters on our home. They came from World Gutter Systems right here in Erie, PA. Because we are local, they custom made ours to cover half the length we require. Brazed 1 seam on site, and it is covered by the hanger, so doesn't show. We love the look and get tons of comments. They weren't cheap though!

Not much need for gutters here in Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Not much need for gutters here in Phoenix.
    Actually, I really need some on my shop building in Tucson but we do get more rain than you for sure.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Tom ,that was 17 years ago, and was my only experience with it.

Did my own and it worked out well, front one 60 feet one piece, had the guy that ran it help me lift it onto brackets that I made then I tied it on so the wind could not catch it till I had it all fastened and mitres cut., Five down spouts and did them neater than the contractor that did that for a living and did one other place for me. I was slow as a slug but I never see that when I look at it. Just its neat and works perfedtly. all the shorter lengths were put in through a window and stored inside in a 35 foot room on a diagonal untill I put them up, that kept them safe. As long as it is not windy you can handle a pretty long chunk of eves trough. My second longest was 35 feet plus a bit for the end cuts and pretty sure I put that one up myself but it was a bit of a really pay attention type thing and zero wind. One of the best things I did was I found one Wiss cutter I had was defective. I quit with Wiss and got all new Midwest stuff and have more than I need. bit of an adventure always figuring out which one or ones you can use as you work through the mitres as the offcuts never fails are in the way. Happy with the midwest stuff, good quality.