Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grizzly G1023 Table Saw - Discontinued Blade Arbor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    A couple of us have asked that question, but OP won't answer. The only things I can think of are messing up the threads or having a spun bearing.
    While not specifically stated, having a shaft smaller than the race would lead to a spun bearing.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    How does one damage two arbors on a table saw?
    I thought the answers I have posted were clear, but apparently not. I don't think it was how the saw was operated, but I would be bias in that regard. I am not sure how you could do the damage ripping lumber. I mostly start with 4/4 rough cut hardwood and size it.

The first thing I notice is the saw starts to vibrate which increases over time (I let it go a few months so more damage was probably caused by continuing to run the saw). The bearings did spin on the arbor both times. The saw was purchased new in 2000 - Grizzly assembled it. 2008 , the bearings spun on the arbor. I changed the bearings and installed a new arbor, noting that the shaft is about 0.001 smaller than I can find as a recommendation in the bearing manufacturers catalog for woodworking machinery. Maybe there is something special about a table saw, but I highly doubt it. Now 12 years later, the same thing happened. The bearings were pushed on, not hammered on - when installing the bearings on the arbor, they slid on once they were lined up. Force was applied to the race being pushed on - not

I suspect the issue is the loose fit between the inside race and the arbor. Normally, the fit is tight for the spinning race and loose for the stationary race.

Other factors could be too much belt tension, maybe one too many belts that ends up overloading the bearings when the belts are tightened. You would think you would take out the motor bearings before the arbor bearings, but that isn't always the case.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-27-2020 at 4:54 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Just curious, if the arbor is a loose fit by, say only roughly 0.001 +/- a bit, aren't there locktite products designed for this application that will fill the minuscule gap?
    Loctite does make a decent product according to my local Motion rep. Neither of us are fans this method but maybe I should try it.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Because the shaft is "soft, and undersized," why not knurl it, and then grind down to correct size for the 6203's. Turning would most likely be done between centers. Problem comes back to shoddy tolerances in manufacturing. Shaft was made too small, allowing bearing to spin on shaft. Sharaz is a poster here, so give him a shout out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Because the shaft is "soft, and undersized," why not knurl it, and then grind down to correct size for the 6203's. Turning would most likely be done between centers. Problem comes back to shoddy tolerances in manufacturing. Shaft was made too small, allowing bearing to spin on shaft. Sharaz is a poster here, so give him a shout out.

My thoughts as well Bruce. Knurling is a tried and true method of salvaging a shaft. It's common for whatever reason to have a bearing surface become undersized. Especially when it's a very complex or large shaft that would be expensive and or time consuming to replace. I would think a good machinist could have a knurl raised in a couple minutes. A little longer to take it down to size. Knurling was always something I considered to be kind of fun. Since this is simply to enlarge the shaft there wouldn't be a need to get the knurling wheels tracking properly for appearance sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    My thoughts as well Bruce. Knurling is a tried and true method of salvaging a shaft. It's common for whatever reason to have a bearing surface become undersized. Especially when it's a very complex or large shaft that would be expensive and or time consuming to replace. I would think a good machinist could have a knurl raised in a couple minutes. A little longer to take it down to size. Knurling was always something I considered to be kind of fun. Since this is simply to enlarge the shaft there wouldn't be a need to get the knurling wheels tracking properly for appearance sake.
    We had to do this a couple of times for short term repairs at the papermill where I used to work. This application isnt as tough, and if I combine this method with the Loctite product, it might be good for a long time. I appreciate the help.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich