Thread: central machinery 6x48 (with 9" disc) sander station and dust mods

Blog Entries

central machinery 6x48 (with 9" disc) sander station and dust mods

Hi,
    Disclaimer: While I'm not a huge HF fan, there's a time and a place in some instances... In any case, I am not willing to get into an argument about that topic, so if that's your interest please take it someplace else.

My old sanding station was beyond repair (or at least beyond my patience to yet again try to get it to track properly etc.) so I pulled the trigger on the HF (Central machinery) 6x48 sander. Here's the link. I paid $250, and others could probably get a better deal if you watch for sales. Note, the 20% super coupons don't work for some items at HF anymore.

I picked this unit because....
    - From my research (here and other forums, youtube etc.) it seems that this is a clone of many other well-reviewed items out there
    - I found that woodworkers (including reviews here, other forums, youtube) actually found this sander to be among the HF gems
    - Given the price, how crappy my old sander was, how simple of a tool this is compared to others... it was worth rolling the dice

Anyways, putting the tool together was straight forward, yet somewhat time consuming. Probably took me 2 hours total (but then, I was customizing as I went). I found the tool to be quite substantial overall, and all parts went together exactly as instructed on the first try. First test run, the belt tracked dead on and didn't require any adjustments at all. Quiet and powerful compared to my old beast.

Others complained about the cheap miter gauge (that's legit, but minor gripe in my opinion) and the light-weight sheet metal stand (which I thought was fine, especially with the mods that I added, see below).

The switch used to be on the back, but it's on the front now, which I found to be a good change.

Note: Others have reported that grizzly parts may work interchangeably on this tool. I have not verified that myself, but just mentioning for those interested.

Modifications:
    To the stand, I added a plywood shelf, and two 2x4 runners that allowed me to attach swivel/locking casters. These two changes improved the stand quite a bit, and I feel it's plenty sturdy for my usage needs.

The unit comes with just one aluminum tool rest / table, and I didn't want to have to swap it back and forth from belt to disc all the time. So I cannibalized the cast iron tool rest from my old sander, and was able to make it work. As per the note above, you could probably buy a grizzly tool rest and achieve the same result.

The disc sander comes with a plastic cover with a 1.5" (as I recall) port for dust collection. I wanted 4", so I cut a larger hole and affixed a 4" port that will accept flex hose.

The belt sander comes with a metal 2" (I think) port for dust collection. Again, I wanted 4", so I built a simple box that has a 4" port/gate on the back side. The underside of the box has some reference ledges that allow it to be quickly aligned on the tool rest / table, and I left a lip that accepts a c-clamp for holding it in place. Not the most elegant thing I've built, and it raises my work surface up a bit, but a ton of suction is nicely directed to the lower few inches of the belt.

(Note: the glue was drying last night, so I haven't tested this one yet... will post an update on that later... )

I hope this review/brainstorm is helpful to someone :-)sander 1.jpgsander 2.jpg
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    The suction box works very well. Nice!
    - Bob R.

Looks very nice! Was it not possible to remove the existing ports, and attach the new ones? Might have had to cut it out with a drill, or a angle grinder. Just a thought if the box gets in the way.

Blog Entries
    The existing port for the disc sander was just molded plastic, so that one was easy to just enlarge the hole and attach a flange for connecting flex hose.

The existing port for the belt sander was made of sheet metal... even if I was able to cleanly cut it, the piece wasn't wide enough to accept a 4" flange. I figure that in the rare instances where I need to remove the box for some reason, I can clamp the flex hose nearby (cobbled/rigged style) as a temporary solution.

I don't know that I'll miss a few inches of height at the belt sander too often because:
    - I tend to use the belt sander mostly for sanding shapes, rounding edges, etc.
    - I typically do my longer edge sanding with a handheld ROS on the downdraft cart
    - Bob R.

I have a similar machine, Grizzly G1014 i think. One of the early Griz machines, fit and finish is amateurish. I added a self stick graphite platen behind the belt. I never used the 9" disk so removed it. I use the table with the belt. I find it pretty loud for whatever reason but it does what i need it to do.

Thanks Bob- I’ve actually been looking at that myself. Nice mods so I wouldn’t need to worry about that.

If something works for you it matters not what others think!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have a similar machine, Grizzly G1014 i think. One of the early Griz machines, fit and finish is amateurish. I added a self stick graphite platen behind the belt. I never used the 9" disk so removed it. I use the table with the belt. I find it pretty loud for whatever reason but it does what i need it to do.

I think that Grizzly model is the one people have said has parts that interchange with the Central Machine version. Again, I haven't needed to test the theory, but just a good data point to have on record.

And, I agree... this ought to do what I need it to. Some shops may be super heavy in their use of various sanding equipment, and this would probably fall short for those woodworkers. But for me (shaping, minor adjustments, sharpening) this will be a nice fit I think.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Thanks Bob- I’ve actually been looking at that myself. Nice mods so I wouldn’t need to worry about that.

Thanks! Happy I could help!
    - Bob R.

Hey Bob. I know this is an old post but I was wondering if your still happy with your sander? Read all I could about this size sander and seems like it might fit my needs. Guessing the belt change is a pita but could live with it for the price. Dust collection mods seem like a good idea although I can't see your pics, doesn't seem to difficult. Any other advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thx and have a great day.
    Jim

Not Bob but as posted above I have pretty much the same machine from Grizzly. I used a 90* HVAC fitting held to the bottom of the belt with a piece of plywood. Yes, it's a pain to change the belt, I may modify it to make it easy to remove the HVAC fitting when I change the belt, which isn't often. The fitting sits right below the table so dust collection is quite good. I haven't used the 9" disk since I got the machine. I have the dust collection hooked up to a "2 h.p." dust collector. This is one place where CFM rules.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-F...X4X6/100197347