Thread: Powermatic 18 inch planer dust extraction

Powermatic 18 inch planer dust extraction

The manual says 1100 cfm, but does anyone with real world experience with the PM 180 18" planer know if 1100 cfm will do the job. I do not collect the dust or shavings, but draw it out of the machine and blow it outside.

I am asking because there is a 1.5 hp Jet DC1100 bag collector available locally from which I can remove and remount the blower. I do not want to do it 2x if from member experience, 1100 cfm will not do the job.

Thanks.

My first dust collector for the Powermatic 180 was a 1 1/5 hp Oneida cyclone. It worked fine but I switched to a 5hp grizzly 4 bag dust collector because I added a 2 drum sander.

I think that is an optimistic cfm level for actual air movement at the planer. I had a 2hp Oneida cyclone system that left chip impressions on the stock with finish cuts>1/32" on my PM 160. Going by the fan curve it was probably pulling something like 800 cfm at the planer drop. The present 3hp cyclone works fine except for heavy cuts (>3/32"). It exhaust the chips on heavy cuts, just not fast enough to eliminate chipbeat. With no filters or cyclone the 1.5 hp blower might just do what you need but I am skeptical.

Thanks for the response: My intent is to mount it directly over the planer with the 6" inlet pointing down in alignment with the dust port, with no more than 3-4ft of more or less straight 6" flex. The discharge will be about 7ft of straight 6" steel duct exiting outside the barn. If the rating is for bags and separator, I am thinking I might get a little more cfm since I am only using the blower with virtually no bends.

Even at very low SP it is difficult to pull more than 700-800 cfm with a 1.5 hp motor. My experience with old planers is they need more cfm due to their more open design internally. I'd look for at least a 2 hp motor and impeller. You also want to test that the motor will not over amp with so little resistance ( low pressure ). Dave

It's important to remember that the ratings for mass market dust collectors are "very optimistic" relative to real-world once you have duct/hose and filters involved. For many of them, the big number the manufacturer puts in the specifications is only achievable in an unrealistic setting including right at the point the motor is likely to blow out. If that planer actually requires 1100+ CFM to properly clear chips on wide cuts, you're going to need something able to move substantially more air in actual operating conditions. A fan curve is your friend...and they are unfortunately almost never available for mass market collectors.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If the blower is cheap, it's worth just trying it. If you need a bigger blower, this one could get used elsewhere.

I put blast gates on the exhaust pipes, outside the building. It keeps the cold out. It also keeps raccoons out.

Dave/Jim: thanks. I am actually going to look for a 3hp fan/blower. The 1.5hp I considered as it was close by notwithstanding the 1hp I am using now "almost" does it. It was already sold anyway.