Thread: Oliver 91-D mortiser rebuild

Oliver 91-D mortiser rebuild

This machine is a WW2 vet, ordered by the Navy an installed on the USS Vulcan repair ship in 1940.All the brass parts were replacement parts made on board. Its fully optioned out with a fresh motor rewind to 240v 3phase. IMG_20200224_134825_655.jpgIMG_20200224_134825_685.jpg

That is a beauty! The brass parts are way cool. I am curious. Where do you get these old irons? I have been looking for old iron mortiser (Wysong and Miles 284, Wadkin DM/V, etc.), but has not had any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    That is a beauty! The brass parts are way cool. I am curious. Where do you get these old irons? I have been looking for old iron mortiser (Wysong and Miles 284, Wadkin DM/V, etc.), but has not had any luck.
    They are out there. I usually just have everything shipped to my shop, I am over the driving all over to get stuff, its cheaper and quicker to have it shipped and I can keep working.

Blog Entries
    Darcy, was that the one converted to a drill chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Darcy, was that the one converted to a drill chuck?
    Yes, that's what the brass spacer ring is for. Gives you the clearance needed for the chuck to clear the chisel holder.