Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Casolin shapers?

Google it first and watch a couple videos.

It’s like the fast cap CA glue and two parts. You dont have much time to do your work so you gotta have your system dialed. But it’s bomb proof.

I found it when I contacted Martin to ask what they use. To this day Martin still uses the same glued on hardened steel ways as on my saw for 1974.

Is sure what you gluing is metal on metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Fantastic Thanks. I was thinking something like loctite black max might work. I'll get that aa330 ordered tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Google it first and watch a couple videos.

It’s like the fast cap CA glue and two parts. You dont have much time to do your work so you gotta have your system dialed. But it’s bomb proof.

I found it when I contacted Martin to ask what they use. To this day Martin still uses the same glued on hardened steel ways as on my saw for 1974.

Is sure what you gluing is metal on metal?
    The ways are steel, they seem more like spring steel than hardened and ground though.

Same thing just not as beefy.

It’s metal though so this stuff still work.

I’d remove the piece in full. Then clean spotless both the loos piece and machine side. Like spotless as anything left behind will result in the way no seating prefects flat.

I don’t know about casolin or your machine but Martin used copper wire I think 14g to space the two ways at the v groove. If you change this or dot. Glue it back on exact it could affect the calibration done at the factory of the sliding table. Also if there is wear in the ways “a grove worn” the bearing or wheel may no longer travel in it or it could hop in and out of the groove if glued back on crooked.

None of it’s a big deal but just get your system for gluing foaled first. I used wood 45% cauls I made in the ts. I then clamped them like every 3” or something stupid.

Blog Entries
    Looks like I need new steel. Its .045" thick x .350" wide. Soft enough the balls wore a slight groove in them. Off to search for suitable replacements.

20200304_214421.jpg

20200304_214532.jpg

20200304_214103.jpg

Oh boy your really committed and getting into this.

I just love getting a good machine fever

Blog Entries
    Oh boy your really committed and getting into this.

I just love getting a good machine fever
    Lol.. Just looking to fix some previous owner issues. Looks like McMaster has something close .042x.375 wear resistant spring steel (60 Rockwell)
    https://www.mcmaster.com/9075k414

Doesn’t look flat in both sides.

Is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Lol.. Just looking to fix some previous owner issues. Looks like McMaster has something close .042x.375 wear resistant spring steel (60 Rockwell)
    https://www.mcmaster.com/9075k414

Blog Entries
    Doesn’t look flat in both sides.

Is yours?
    Generally, but it certainly not ground. Im not sure I believe the graphic on McMaster is a 100% accurate representation of the profile. I'd expect it to be flat.

20200304_223359.jpg

Blog Entries
    It's my fault but ordering from McMaster on a phone leaves something to be desired.. thought I ordered the aa330 with the activator.. nope.

20200324_204741.jpg

Crazy: That's literally the first time I've ever seen a metal guideway de-laminate like that. I have no idea what type of adhesive they use but we routinely serviced 30+ year-old saws back in my Italian days. Plenty of rusted guideways but never seen one peel off like that. I wonder if this machine got sprayed with a solvent or something? Jared, thanks for sharing progress pics. Fascinating stuff.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Crazy: That's literally the first time I've ever seen a metal guideway de-laminate like that. I have no idea what type of adhesive they use but we routinely serviced 30+ year-old saws back in my Italian days. Plenty of rusted guideways but never seen one peel off like that. I wonder if this machine got sprayed with a solvent or something? Jared, thanks for sharing progress pics. Fascinating stuff.

Erik
    I wiped down the residue with an acetone soaked rag and it didn't soften, so I'm not sure what the issue was. Either way it's a relatively straightforward fix. Hopefully the hardened steel and loctite helps the longevity this time.

20200329_160405.jpg
    20200329_160323.jpg

20200329_161407.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 03-29-2020 at 4:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    The slider is a slider again

20200331_183702.jpg

Very nice, good repair!
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

It’s such a satisfying feeling when it’s all back together and the dial indicator saiz you did a good job....

Blog Entries
    My power source finally showed up.

20200404_113059.jpg

20200404_113147.jpg