Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reformed Router Bit Snob

On a side note, but related...I collect folding knives and have found some super good Chinese made knives that use quality steels. Fit, finish and action are every bit, if not better than the name brands, but price is a 1/4. I think it's all related.

I think it depends on the operation.

I have had MLCS dovetail bits (2 of them) snap off a flute. The dovetail bit especially is a tricky one. Despite my best intentions to straight bit out the center, it may have to do a little bit of hogging. All with a little pencil neck. You don't want that to be weak.

For my often used bits like dovetails, spirals, mortising, roundovers, chamfers I now prefer to buy quality. That being said, I am still waiting for my cheap 1/8" roundover to start burning, chattering, or failing, but 10 years+ it's still going fine.

YMMV. But I wouldn't mess around with dovetail bits...

I use to buy MLCS dovetail bits (1/2" x 14º) because I could get them for $7ea. I'd buy them 10 at a time. 1st thing I did was to send them out to my sharpener. The grind from the factory stunk, but it was good carbide and after getting them sharpened again they were nice. Sharpening cost $3ea. So I got a nice sharp bit for $10.

Now I have a dovetail machine and don't need them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I use to buy MLCS dovetail bits (1/2" x 14º) because I could get them for $7ea. I'd buy them 10 at a time. 1st thing I did was to send them out to my sharpener. The grind from the factory stunk, but it was good carbide and after getting them sharpened again they were nice. Sharpening cost $3ea. So I got a nice sharp bit for $10.

Now I have a dovetail machine and don't need them anymore.
    Neat way to do it. I think MLCS' Katana brand might be sharpened better than the gray MLCS bits.

I'm sure. But at that price point I'd spend a few more dollars and get a Whiteside.

Peachtree has economy bits and better (not best) bits. They have had two sales recently where the clearanced out a bunch of the cheap ones for about $5 each. I picked up one of everything, just to have back ups to my backups on straight bits and roundovers. I have been doing a lot of melamine, and don't use my good bits on it unless I have to.

That being said, I love the Freud Quadrabits. The cut is very smooth on red oak, which is famous for splintering. HD was getting rid of them at half price and I got a dozen profiles cheep.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.