Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help getting keyed chuck off Delta Drill press

That hole has a rill pin in it. I took it out but nothing changed except that collar with the threads slipped up and down on the spindle.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Here is link to picture of the #2 MT to JT33 https://www.mcmaster.com/morse/morse...-chuck-arbors/ . There is normally never a thread at the JT33 end. The photo you provided for the new Liambrich keyless chuck says solid MT2 shank. In the earlier threads it sounded like you are only trying to remove the chuck from the JT33 end of the existing installation. That will require use of wedges (of some configuration) between the JT33 and existing chuck to remove the old chuck. Looking at a parts diagram on line shows the spindle to be a long shaft with the JT33 taper on end, and that shaft is held in place by a "special nut". You should not have to remove the spindle, just use wedges to separate chuck.
    I actually want to get the entire chuck and spindle/taper out so I could replace it with the Llimbrich in the picture.
    Jim

Looking at the parts diagram at ereplacement parts it appears this drill press being variable speed is different. The chuck does not have a shaft of it's own - it mounts directly on the tapered end of a shaft that goes dirrectly into the variable speed drive. The chuck has to be removed from that shaft. No intermediate shaft between chuck an collumn with morse taper at both ends.

That threaded collar - some drill presses use a threaded collar to remove chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I actually want to get the entire chuck and spindle/taper out so I could replace it with the Llimbrich in the picture.
    Jim
    The chuck you have pictured won't fit in your drill press. I think your best bet would be to remove the chuck from the spindle with wedges like Mark shows and then put the new chuck onto the spindle. You'll have to either order the new chuck without the Morse adapter or remove the adapter. The JT33 taper is proprietary to Jacobs for their chucks.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jim - I have the same drill press and my chuck was getting tight and needed cleaning and lubricating. I removed the chuck this morning by using 2 steel chisels about 1/2", one to each side and then tapping with a 8 oz ball peen hammer lightly. The original chuck had not been removed since purchase 14 years previous. I also looked at Amazon and there are wedges available that are designed for removing chucks and cost about $10-15 with Prime. Good luck. Now I need to reinstall the chuck and hope to get a good seat for another 14 years?? I am staying with a keyed chuck since I use large Forstner bits that really lock up a keyless chuck used on lathe and require strap wrench to loosen.

Perhaps what you need is a "pickle fork", a way to apply wedge pressure on both sides of the chuck at the same time. They are used to disassemble ball joints, $10 at an auto parts store, or you can make your own-- I made a wooden one for one-time use when I swapped by drill press chuck.

Thanks for more good ideas/thoughts on this. I took advice and have ordered a pair of the wedges to try.....should arrive tomorrow. I also am sending back the original Llambrich I bought and have reordered a Llambrich that is just the keyless chuck (no taper). Hoping to resolve it this way! I'll report back with either good news or more questions.
    Thanks to all for the responses,
    Jim

I have that machine. I removed my chuck by placing a wood scrap on top of the chuck and hitting it with a dead blow hammer. It was necessary to rotate the chuck 180 and repeat several times.

The spindle has a male Jacobs 33 taper (JT-33) on it, so you will need a chuck with a female JT-33 taper.

GOt it all done today....FINALLY! Got the new chuck yesterday and the different wedges today. These are very thick.....could not stack them as there wasn't enough room above the chuck to fit. The angle on the end of them was enough(with their thickness) to get the chuck off. A couple of taps with the hammers shown and it popped off. Cleaned the taper up and put the new Llambrich keyless chuck on with a tap on a piece of wood from the bottm.
    It works great!
    THANKS to all for the help and advice.
    Pictures below, Sorry....even after rotating, they still aren't all coming through correctly.
    Jim
    20200227_161427.jpg20200227_161411.jpg20200227_160202.jpg20200227_160145.jpg20200227_160109.jpg

Your welcome, LOL

Those wedges look too big to me. What taper are they supposed to fit?
    Bil lD

Jim, well done

Funny. I have the same machine, and i have trouble keeping my chuck ON.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Funny. I have the same machine, and i have trouble keeping my chuck ON.
    Generally means there's dirt on/in the taper.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut