Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help getting keyed chuck off Delta Drill press

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Those wedges look too big to me. What taper are they supposed to fit?
    Bil lD
    Bill,
    They were too thick to stack because of the threaded piece that is above the chuck(I still do not know the purpose of that threaded piece) When I loosened the set screw in it, it just slides up and down within that 1/2" space between top of chuck and bottom of quill.
    Anyway, I was able to drive them(unstacked from each side and the chuck finally popped off.
    Link below to the wedges
    Jim
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 426957
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Bill,
    They were too thick to stack because of the threaded piece that is above the chuck(I still do not know the purpose of that threaded piece)
    Some chucks have a threaded collar to help keep the chuck mounted on the spindle, and also helps to force it off when you want to remove it. That threaded piece is what the collar mates with. If I recall correctly, on my press that part is secured with a roll pin, not a set screw.
    Collared Jacobs Chuck.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Some chucks have a threaded collar to help keep the chuck mounted on the spindle, and also helps to force it off when you want to remove it. That threaded piece is what the collar mates with. If I recall correctly, on my press that part is secured with a roll pin, not a set screw.
    Collared Jacobs Chuck.jpg
    Chuck,
    You're exactly right....it is attached with a roll pin. But it was not attached to chuck at all. The roll pin holds it in place on the taper just above the chuck. I guess if I could have gotten the entire arbor/taper out of the machine, I could have put a large nut on that thread and screwed it down against the chuck to force it off? Problem was/is it seems that I would have to take the entire machine apart to get the spindle/taper out.
    Am I seeing thia correctly?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Chuck,
    You're exactly right....it is attached with a roll pin. But it was not attached to chuck at all. The roll pin holds it in place on the taper just above the chuck. I guess if I could have gotten the entire arbor/taper out of the machine, I could have put a large nut on that thread and screwed it down against the chuck to force it off? Problem was/is it seems that I would have to take the entire machine apart to get the spindle/taper out.
    Am I seeing thia correctly?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

The short answer is that without a collar on your chuck, the wedges were the way to go.

On chucks that have a collar, it is attached to the chuck with a snap ring so it can turn freely to attach or remove the chuck. It's threaded on the inside to mate with the part on the spindle:
    Collar Threads.jpgCollared Chuck - 1.jpg

Here's another chuck that can use a collar but is missing it. You can see the groove for the snap ring:
    Collar Boss.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

Thanks for the explanation Chuck. Glad to know about that part. Now I'm wondering if I misplaced that collar ~15 years ago when I tried a mortice attachment for this very same drill press. I've long since gave up on that idea and purchased a mortice machine. Knowing me, I probably lost that piece and since I have never removed the chuck(until now), I didn't miss it.
    Anyway, I feel better knowing what it is/was.
    Jim