Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Featherboards

Featherboards

Anyone use these? I was ripping some 8ft long boards and noticed the last 12" of board was pulling away from the fence before it went through the blade. Now I haven't built my outfeed table and the thought of using those roller stands doesn't really appeal to me. Since i dont have someone to tail off and support the board I would just walk to the backside of the saw and pull it the rest if the way though. This is probably why it was pulling away since you can't hold it against the fence as easy from the backside. Lol

Yes I use a featherboard regularilly especially if the cut requires precision. I also have an outfeed table and don't ever regret adding it. Doing the walk around is asking for trouble.

It's just temporary until I get the table built. I'm thinking about paying a friend to help me tail off on the boards for a couple hours.

Maybe just pick up one of these, avoids any problems with misscommunication with your friend which can be as dangerous as the walk around.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUI...S200/300753810

Never, ever walk around and pull the board through. Table saw safety 101. Deserved one upside the head where I learned.

Featherboards are a must for furniture work and one takes 5 minutes to make. Use an 8" or so wide piece of stock long enough so you can clamp it to the saw table and rip a 6" long kerf every 1/4 ". Then cut it off at 45 degrees. Clamp it so it holds the work piece to the fence. Sometimes you'll want a second one vertical to hold the work flat, clamped to the fence.

Blog Entries
    I use them regularly. Various kinds. The magnetic ones are okay for light work; for anything large or long the leverage is too much for reliable pressure. I use them on the tablesaw - table and fence, router table - table and fence, bandsaw - mostly table. I have stacking ones for vertical work like resawing, arced ones for raised panels, short ones, long ones, you get the idea. there are usually a couple hanging where I use them.

BS Align (11).jpg . RT-Fence-Tall-ver-2 007.jpg

RT-Fence-Tall-ver-2-first-cuts 002.jpg . RT-FB-Use 004.jpg

GCS-v2 Shop Made 011.jpg . ST-2018 (33).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

7. Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Since i dont have someone to tail off and support the board I would just walk to the backside of the saw and pull it the rest if the way though. This is probably why it was pulling away since you can't hold it against the fence as easy from the backside. Lol
    You’re just joking right?

Nope I'm not kidding. I wouldnt do it with a small board, but I don't see any issues with a 2x12

Travis, Have you ever experienced kickback on the table saw?

You’d be surprised how much it can disrupt even an 8’ 2x12.

Taking your hands / feed pressure off a board mid cut with the blade still on is asking for trouble sooner or later, in my opinion.
    Still waters run deep.

I like the spring loaded "board buddies" wheels with adjustable downforce and ratchet one way action. They also make two way ones for shaper use.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas mitchell View Post
    You’re just joking right?
    Soon after I posted about making and using feather boards I realised I hadn't mentioned using a Strong Back with but it occurred to me the OP might be a 14 year old troll so why bother.

Glad I returned to it though otherwise I wouldn't know I could buy a Magnetic Feather Board for just $51.50. Seriously? People pay big $$$ for something made from scrap in a few minutes? I suppose in a Festool Age I shouldn't be surprised.

Can someone please direct me to where I can buy some Cauls?

Yes usually every time it gets to the last 12" of the board.

13. Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post

Can someone please direct me to where I can buy some Cauls?

They're in aisle 6, right next to the Aigner Deflector.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Since i dont have someone to tail off and support the board I would just walk to the backside of the saw and pull it the rest if the way though. This is probably why it was pulling away since you can't hold it against the fence as easy from the backside. Lol
    This is exactly why you don't do this. It is dangerous. If you accidentily lift the board up a bit the saw blade can rip it out of your hands and throw it across the room at about 80 mph. Please finish your outfeed table or use some type of support stand to catch the out feed on your saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Anyone use these? I was ripping some 8ft long boards and noticed the last 12" of board was pulling away from the fence before it went through the blade. Now I haven't built my outfeed table and the thought of using those roller stands doesn't really appeal to me. Since i dont have someone to tail off and support the board I would just walk to the backside of the saw and pull it the rest if the way though. This is probably why it was pulling away since you can't hold it against the fence as easy from the backside. Lol

Hi Travis,
    I have sent you an email with some information you may find useful. You might consider becoming a contributor (only $6 per year) so you can see/post photos and send/receive private messages and help to support this forum.
    Thanks,
    David

https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 02-24-2020 at 1:58 AM.