Thread: roubo build !

roubo build !

All right so I managed to build my roubo, to replace my first bench made out of spruce. Very happy with the benchcrafted leg vise, I almost bought the tail vise but I was a bit scared of all the installation and dovetails. Anyway, hard maple top and stetchers, birch legs and ash leg vise for a total of 320 lbs excluding the tool chest beneath.
    Last edited by charles mathieu; 02-23-2020 at 7:32 PM.

crap...don't know why some of the pics are sideways ?

When I don't edit pics they generally get turned whichever way is wrong. When I edit them, even just crop a sliver off one edge, they get posted right side up.

Is your top sitting on the leg tenons or pegged?

i worked, thanks ! Not sure I'm following you, the top is sitting on the legs tenons and is pegged

I figgered out how to enlarge the images on my laptop. So on the front right leg the peg is just to the left of the knot, with the peg hole in line vertically with the holes for the holdfasts?

I was asking because there were no through holes in the tenons in the leg picture, and I couldn't see the peg next to the knot on my phone. I am theoretically in favor of big high friction joints, but having a chunk of endgrain on the benchtop just behind my face vise is not my favorite thing.

Great looking bench.

Awesome looking bench.
    I hope it inspires many years of creativity and confidence.

Good Luck
    Aj

Great looking bench and a very pleasing space. Looking forward to seeing the next project.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Hard maple is a great choice, the weight and resilience are excellent. Did you use plans or your own design? The overhang at each end seems longer than usual?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks for sharing Charles. Good looking bench and it brings back memories of my own Ruobo build. Was the photo of the bench with the apron along a side face your old bench?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks for sharing Charles. Good looking bench and it brings back memories of my own Ruobo build. Was the photo of the bench with the apron along a side face your old bench?
    yep the nicholson bench was my older bench made out of spruce...it wasn't well made due to a lack of of proper tools at the time. I didn't use any plans for my bench and th overhang is actually shorter than most roubo I've seen on the web