Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Needed Shop Improvement? PICS

Another Needed Shop Improvement? PICS

Besides adding better dust collection and piped air to my shop I'm considering improving the area shown in the photo below. However, I haven't decided which approach to take; add a window to the back wall (wall facing in photo) or consume that space with cabinets. Actually, cabinets will be added regardless of the window, just not as many. The outside photo would be the view from the window. The view is nice but so would the additional storage space it would replace. The window would also have a southern exposure, which is nice in the winter but may be a problem in the summer. I have good lighting in the area but a window would make even brighter and provide more natural light. Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Shop 003.jpgShop 004.jpg
    Shop 001.jpg

I vote for a window surrounded by cabinets. Love the view.
    Cheers
    Sean

I second the window with that view.

Quote Originally Posted by sean meltvedt View Post
    I vote for a window surrounded by cabinets. Love the view.
    Cheers
    Sean
    +1 for the window surrounded by cabinets. Awning outside the window for summer to keep the direct rays out. roll it up to get the rays during winter.

No brainer,Window.

I say you cut the entire wall in half, the bottom cabinets and the entire top half a giant Window.

Window, hands down. Natural light is great to have and that view you have would be wonderful. Make sure you can open it wide as that would be great to have as on option when you are sanding or just wants some fresh air.

If it too hot in the summer you can always build shutters etc.

Blog Entries
    Window, all the way. And put some insulation in those walls & ceiling. If the roof overhang is enough, that should take care of the summer sun. If not, then add an awning. All the south facing windows in my house are shaded by the roof overhang in the summer, but not in winter. We get a ton of heat through those windows on a sunny winter day.

There are two walls in my shop that have no windows. The southern wall, and the western wall. The southern wall is simply because that's where the roll up doors are. Western wall would make it completely miserable in the summer (it's bad enough as it is). The north wall has as many as I could practically fit. If you're not getting actual direct sunlight I'd go for windows.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I went the opposite way in my shop recently...closed up a very large window except for a narrow strip up high on the wall. I get nice natural light but now have the wall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I went the opposite way in my shop recently...closed up a very large window except for a narrow strip up high on the wall. I get nice natural light but now have the wall.
    Yea, this is a great solution. If I had time to redo existing walls.. I'd probably have made from 7' up translucent windows, just to provide ambient light. Unfortunately, I'm outa time and budget for such mid-century coolness.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

It appears that the new window would not be on the road side so that is a plus for the window. Your summer concern is probably not that big a deal as the place is uninsulated and when it gets hot it is all a hot-box. I have two sides that have a 2x6' horizontal awning type set at 6'. It obstructs the outdoor view but provides ventilation and light. They have worked out well. I would install a window. The question is do you want it for the view or simply for outdoor light. The advantage of a window is that it offers a window sill so you have another horizontal surface to put assorted debris on that doesn't fit anywhere else. How can you pass that up?

The view is nice, but when I'm in the workshop, I want to work. If I want to look at the view, I'd just go outside, and lounge around on my patio or deck. I suspect that you'd stop noticing it after a while, while the inability to find, or store tools would come up every time you tried to do something.

I've heard a number of people do what Jim did: remove windows, for more storage, few that go the other way.

As far as natural light goes, another alternative is a sun/light tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    The view is nice, but when I'm in the workshop, I want to work. If I want to look at the view, I'd just go outside, and lounge around on my patio or deck.
    I agree with Andrew. If I want to see the view, I'll go outside, sit down and relax. I would prefer to have more cabinet space, but I would look at installing insulation first.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I've heard a number of people do what Jim did: remove windows, for more storage, few that go the other way.
    Just to be up front, the window I was dealing with was almost 8' wide and 4' tall. I'm happy with the 1' "slit window" I now have, but if it had been just a regular window, I probably wouldn't have bothered with changing things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...