Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Needed Shop Improvement? PICS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Just to be up front, the window I was dealing with was almost 8' wide and 4' tall. I'm happy with the 1' "slit window" I now have, but if it had been just a regular window, I probably wouldn't have bothered with changing things.
    This is a very good point. It's hard for the forum to evaluate just how much space is needed for tool and lumber storage. I realize that the OP has posted a few pictures, but it's still hard to judge, without seeing the rest of the space, or knowing what tools are going to be used. A 8'x4' wide window is a lot of space on my 2 car garage, but wouldn't be in a 40'x80' pole barn. I notice that Jimmy DiResta just had a new shop built, with some very large windows, but he's also got enough space to park a couple of semi trucks as well.

Another thing to consider is how important being economical on heating and cooling is. I personally have my space as sealed as I can make it, and with the efficiencies of a minisplit, do not notice a great deal of money spent to heat and cool. Windows are universally bad when it comes to R value. I've currently got an R value of 16 on my walls, due to fiberglass bats at R-13, and 1" of extruded foam (R-4), but your typical window has an R value of 2 - 3.

Even if you do not actively heat and cool, just having a decent insulation factor can smooth out the highs and lows of temperature fluctuation, allowing the shop to be much more comfortable to work in.

Some of the added heat load is situational as well. My house has clerestory windows along the entire southern wall of the main box (it's a Santa Fe), this would seem like it would add heat in the summer, but because of the orientation of the building on the property they provide ONLY passive heating during the winter. During the summer the sun has moved too far north for them to get direct sunlight.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I am all for the window but then I am a guy who gets anxious when cramped. If excessive summer light is an issue a cheeped blind can be added as a filter.

With a view like that, I would not hesitate to put in a window. A big one. Blinds or a shade will take care of any unwanted exposure. You can make wall storage cabinets to mount on either side of the view.

I woodwork for a hobby, not a living, so no question I would open up that wall and add a window. You appear to have a reasonably long wall with plenty of space for cabinets and a window. I’d also add drawers on the lower cabinets as i find them more efficient.

I would suggest putting a window in, with the bottom of it being at about the 4' level which leaves you wall space for tools or cabinets.

Since it faces South, I would also recommend using a dual pane, Low E window, easily sourced at most places. I got mine from Lowes. The Low E will reflect heat at high summer sun angles, and allow it in the winter when the sun is low.

Only a few bucks more, and required in lots of areas.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

We're seeing a tremendous amount of open wall space. Give over a little of windows.

I really miss the north window in my old shop (with cabinets across the top for storage). The indirect light was perfect for examining wood surfaces. When the temperature and humidity are right, there's nothing like a little fresh air where you're working.

Might depend on how you plan use your shop in the future. From the pictures the walls in your shop look pretty sparse. Maybe I should send you a truck load of things to hang on the walls.

For me, wall space is one of the most valuable things in the shop- in fact I built two extra walls jutting into the shop just to give me more wall space by the lathes. I eliminated four windows from my initial shop plan to give me more wall space.

lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg

Some points to consider:
    Large windows can add to the heating/cooling costs. (if you insulate and heat/cool your shop)
    Large, high-quality windows can be quite expensive.
    Depending on your location a window can let a trespasser see if they want any of your stuff. Some windows allow easy entry.
    If I wanted more natural light I might consider adding a skylight or two. I have six high quality skylights in my house and the natural light is great.
    If I had a beautiful view of the mountains I might consider adding a porch on that side with a nice chair and take breaks there.

Of course, the way I work and like my space is certainly not universal. Maybe you could visit some other shops in your area with and without windows to help you decide.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Besides adding better dust collection and piped air to my shop I'm considering improving the area shown in the photo below. However, I haven't decided which approach to take; add a window to the back wall (wall facing in photo) or consume that space with cabinets. Actually, cabinets will be added regardless of the window, just not as many. The outside photo would be the view from the window. The view is nice but so would the additional storage space it would replace. The window would also have a southern exposure, which is nice in the winter but may be a problem in the summer. I have good lighting in the area but a window would make even brighter and provide more natural light. Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Attachment 426585Attachment 426586
    Attachment 426587

Admittedly the pictures I posted are not very flattering with respect to how the shop space has been used and a lot of refinement is needed. The barn/shop was originally used for storage or overflow from another home. Its use has only recently been converted to a shop. I've never had one before so I'm still feeling my way around and probably make more false moves than correct ones. Another complication is I'm trying so many different things, e.g. machinist type stuff, welding, ordinary woodworking, woodturning, etc. which results in conflicts with the available space. Right now dust collection seems to be the biggest priority followed by a thorough shop air system. After that I would like to tackle refining the U-shaped space under the mezzanine shown in the photos. I'm thinking that drawers under the flat works surface and cabinets above are in order. I'll probably have to tear out everything shown and start from scratch. Planning is still in its beginning phase, which is the reason for the window question. A complication with the window involves the possibility of extending that side of the shop as existing floor space is becoming more crowded with my expanding interests. Anyway, enough of the rambling. Thought I would respond to some of the comments above, especially the one from Mr. Jordan.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-05-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    ... Another complication is I'm trying so many different things, e.g. machinist type stuff, welding, ordinary woodworking, woodturning, etc. which results in conflicts with the available space. Right now dust collection seems to be the biggest priority followed by a thorough shop air system....
    I use my shop for woodturning, flat wood working, wood storage, welding, machining, electronics, animal health care medicines and literature, equipment maintenance, and incubating and raising guinea and peafowl chicks. To fit all that plus a sound insulated closet for cyclone and big air compressor, a small office with a library, and an outdoor covered porch is a challenge.

shop_floorplan.jpg

I built a 24x62 building and wish I'd made it 12' wider. I did build an concrete outdoor welding and cutting area just off the weld shop. I am now planning an addition.

While planning the shop it helped to make large drawings of the floor space and use paper cutouts to arrange everything to suit.

layout_paper_2.jpg

I use the RapidAir hose and fittings to run air from the compressor to seven outlets inside and outside the shop. I'm happy with it.

Good luck with your journey.

JKJ