Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My TI-84 Plus Calculator

Glad to see some fellow RPN guys here. I've been an HP guy since 1983 with my HP10C and wouldn't have it any other way. It makes for a very narrow demographic that wants to borrow your calculator at work. It's fun to watch first timers look for the equals button. I finally retired the 10C a couple years ago and got a 35s. Still getting used to the different key locations.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Yep, the Free42 emulator is what I use. I liked using my 42S when I got it in 1991-ish, but there's no way I'm carrying that around with me all the time--it's the same size as my iPhone...which runs the 42S emulator just fine.

Anyone know what the layout is when you rotate your phone with the Free42 app?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Love RPN...and my old HP-11C!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Glad to see some fellow RPN guys here. I've been an HP guy since 1983 with my HP10C and wouldn't have it any other way. It makes for a very narrow demographic that wants to borrow your calculator at work. It's fun to watch first timers look for the equals button. I finally retired the 10C a couple years ago and got a 35s. Still getting used to the different key locations.
    I still use my 1973 vintage HP45 on occasion for nostalgia. I had two at one time, but a bunch of LED segments crapped out on one, making it a bit of challenge to read accurately. Mostly I use an HP45 emulator on my cell phone or a cheap Fire tablet that I bought to kick around in the shop. I also have a 50th anniversary edition HP32S. Unfortunately, they have a common failure mode in which a contact separates under the shell, making certain keys inoperable unless you hold it just right. But I still use it at my work desk anyway.

I've never understood how anyone who could do math with more than 3 operations in an equation ever tolerated algebraic notation calculators once they were shown RPN.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 02-26-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've never understood how anyone who could do math with more than 3 operations in an equation every tolerated algebraic notation calculators once they were shown RPN.
    Different minds work in different ways. For me RPN would often end up with an error due to forgetting to hit the enter key or hitting an operand key before inputting the next part of the equation.

It has been so long since using an RPN calculator would likely give me problems. Back when my life included more math the work was often done in my head. Back in the day it was fairly easy for me to multiply three digit numbers with no problems. On a good day even four digit multiplications could be done without breaking a sweat.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Different minds work in different ways. For me RPN would often end up with an error due to forgetting to hit the enter key or hitting an operand key before inputting the next part of the equation.
    Interesting contrast. My most common error is leaving out the opening parenthesis when entering a formula in a spreadsheet. I need to be careful when it's not RPN..
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    RPN was the future 50 years ago, and it still is. That said, I love it. Think with the stack you will. It just makes sense. I don't buy into the phone simulations, there's nothing like the instant key gratification of the original metal. You can still get it on eBay, I'm told.
    I have both an HP45 on my Ipad, and an HP11C that's still in daily use.

The HP is a great sit on the desk calculator as no one at work ever borrows it, I'm the only one old enough to use RPN

I have several slide rules and use them occasionally. When I was in college I had a job correcting papers for a freshman engineering slide rule class talk about boring. I try to do most of my calculations in my head-I seem to have knack for that. 4 function calculator and a paper tablet helps out too.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I have several slide rules and use them occasionally. When I was in college I had a job correcting papers for a freshman engineering slide rule class talk about boring. I try to do most of my calculations in my head-I seem to have knack for that. 4 function calculator and a paper tablet helps out too.
    I do almost anything not involving division to a high precision in my head or on paper. Division past 2 digit precision, or involving more than 3 digit operands is beyond me anymore, and I reach for a calculator. But what I really use the calculator most for in the shop, is trigonometry, and of course the multiplication and division that always follow looking up a sine or cosine or tangent.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 02-28-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Another vote for RPN
    Still waiting for a plausible explanation for how RPN would have helped with OP's original problem...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Still waiting for a plausible explanation for how RPN would have helped with OP's original problem...
    The original problem was solved. Going off on tangents is more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The original problem was solved. Going off on tangents is more entertaining.
    ^This^

Now I’m wondering what water stone grit I need to increase my calculator’s accuracy to several more decimal places. Probably something pretty fine....
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

13. Best day of college was taking final math class and listing that thing on ebay.