Thread: Storing stuff

Storing stuff

We needed to store some stuff in boxes but still wanted to be able to find things. Adequate labeling was going to be challenging. Instead we prepacked each box without dunnage, then unpacked and took a picture. The second packing was more careful. We may post the pic on the box but having it on the computer will probably be enough, maybe a paper file too. Here's the picture from Box 4.

Box 4, 1 of 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    We needed to store some stuff in boxes but still wanted to be able to find things. Adequate labeling was going to be challenging. Instead we prepacked each box without dunnage, then unpacked and took a picture. The second packing was more careful. We may post the pic on the box but having it on the computer will probably be enough, maybe a paper file too. Here's the picture from Box 4.

Box 4, 1 of 2.jpg

Nice idea. I do that for insurance purposes too, take a photo of each tool, stored wood, and each open drawer in tool boxes and such.

I've taken to storing many things in clear plastic stackable tubs with one label on the side. I can easy see if a tub contains kid's toys, tools, or kitchen things. Pictures of the contents would be an enhancement.

JKJ

Good job. A good majority of my free time this last year has been sorting through a dear friend's large estate. Some things I found so incredibly helpful was discovering some inventory lists in the top of the shipping barrels that were packed full of antique china & silver. It helped me identify what I was looking for. While I still have many more items to sort through in the next few years, I have taken individual photos of items. This has helped me be able to go look at the photos from one barrel and see if it matches something else I found in a different box or barrel that has a similar look.

If you are going to store some boxes in a different location, one suggestion is to keep a notebook or sturdy envelope where you can have print outs of either your photos or inventory items. That way, once you are at the location and don't have access to your computer, you can look in the notebook to determine which box you need to open, as well as X out an item you removed from the storage box.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

The method I used when we moved here was to code the boxes and have a separate list of what was in them. That was more secure because there was no indication to the movers what was inside. Good idea with taking photos, however, "just in case"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...