Thread: Minwax Poly still good?

Minwax Poly still good?

I have a half of a qt can of Minwax polyurethane, my go-to finish, and it has skimmed over. Its not that old, just didn't get it sealed good after using it as the can was slightly dented. As its still liquid underneath, albeit somewhat thickened, can I just throw away the skim part and add a little mineral spirits to bring it back to the original consistency and be good? Randy

The answer is "maybe". Personally, i'd probably get new...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    ... and be good? Randy
    I have had Wipe-On Poly get old, and my 'test' of good is the color. Typically, mine has turned a deep amber as it ages, and will impart that to the wood where it is applied.

When I find it has changed color, I will decide if that amber color is suitable for the project, then use it - - or not - - and either way, suitably discard all or just the remainder of what's off-color.

I'll just use it for the insides of some drawers for my shop. Agree that I don't want to take a chance to screw up a "nice" project after lots of work. Thanks. Randy

I'll just use it for the insides of some drawers for my shop. Agree that I don't want to take a chance to screw up a "nice" project after lots of work. Thanks. Randy
    If it's oil based, I suggest you rethink using on the insides of drawers...it will off-gas "forever" and that smell will get into/on anything you put in those drawers. But using it for utility on jigs, etc., is a great way to use it up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will also sometimes take old Minwax poly and thin it down. I will then use it like a sanding sealer on punky wood. I've even wet sanded with it to fill minor imperfections. But it doesn't dry very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If it's oil based, I suggest you rethink using on the insides of drawers...it will off-gas "forever" and that smell will get into/on anything you put in those drawers. But using it for utility on jigs, etc., is a great way to use it up.
    oops, by the time I saw your comment here i had already done the drawers. I did skim off the dried stuff, added some mineral spirits and did the drawers. They are drying, just not very fast. As these are just shop drawers, with only metal things going in, hopefully no harm done. Glad it wasn't a piece of furniture.

oops, by the time I saw your comment here i had already done the drawers. I did skim off the dried stuff, added some mineral spirits and did the drawers. They are drying, just not very fast. As these are just shop drawers, with only metal things going in, hopefully no harm done. Glad it wasn't a piece of furniture.
    Regular Minwax polyurethane will eventually lose most of its smell, although it may take several years. Danish oil on the other hand, let's just say the inside of the box I made in 7th grade still smells like linseed oil.

That said, shellac is about the only thing I use on the inside of drawers, although I think water base might work as well.

I use Minwax Wipe-On Poly on my turnings and found I was throwing out half a can ( 1 Litre size) due to age. I got these https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...sh-storage-bag and have had the poly last over a year and longer until the bag is empty.... could only get about 6 months in the can...
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 02-26-2020 at 9:55 AM.

Anyone use Bloxygen? I never could be bothered but with a pint of Tried and true $20 and a quart of Waterlox, $30, I may have to get some. Even Goop-a-thane has gotten pricey.

I have used bloxygen for a few years not cheap but worth it to save finish.

Well, I ended up using the rest of the can, almost half. It all dried fine with no apparent ill effects that I can tell. All used on shop items, no furniture. Just couldn't get rid of half a can at the price of this stuff these days. Guess I'm cheap.... Reminder to self, don't put lid on so tight you bend the can, then it doesn't seal. Also use board on top to keep lid flat when putting back on..... and lighten up with the hammer. ha ha