Thread: which has more practical uses in woodworking - 15 or 16 gauge nailer

which has more practical uses in woodworking - 15 or 16 gauge nailer

I already have an 18 gauge brad nailer, and could use either an 15 gauge or 16 gauge finish nailer for my remodel. While I recognize the needs for a finish nailer in wood working are limited, does a 15 or 16 gauge clearly have an edge as a woodworking tool?

Thanks!

In twenty years, I've never shot s finish nail in the shop. Of course, I've used thousands of them out in the field. In my opinion, the only real advantage is the ability to hold less than straight material against less than straight walls.

Talking

Why does my font feel so inadequate? yo

Blog Entries
    I agree that you should buy your home remodel nailer for your needs in that arena. Even an 18 gauge brad is ginormous in furniture making.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Doing a wall project right now installing knotty pine boards. Using both a 16 and 15 gauge nailer for this. The nails are close in size. Advantage to the 15 gauge as it shoots slightly longer nails and they have tenacious grip. Really it depends upon the specific job. Mine are Hitachi guns.

Wish they made a super compact gun that could shoot 15 gauge nails as I can’t angle shoot up by the ceiling.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 02-23-2020 at 7:58 AM.

15 gauge would be my advice. Never using a finish nailer in "the shop" really doesn't make sense as it's all dependent on the type of work you do. We do shop made sub assemblies all the time, furniture carcass', and who knows what that may use pins, brads, narrow or medium crown staples, finish nails, heck... there's even a framing and roofing nailer in the shop. Shop work is not always fine furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Connor View Post
    I already have an 18 gauge brad nailer, and could use either an 15 gauge or 16 gauge finish nailer for my remodel. While I recognize the needs for a finish nailer in wood working are limited, does a 15 or 16 gauge clearly have an edge as a woodworking tool?

Thanks!
    It depends on what you are using building or doing on your shop. I have used 21 or 23 g pin nailer for a very small subset of things while building a piece of furniture or picture frame, but it's rare, i use joinery, glue, clamps etc. However when installing molding throughout my home, i've used a 15g finish nailer and an 18g brad nailer depending on what i am doing.

It all depends on your needs.

I have a 15 and a 16 finish nailer and an 18 gage brad gun and for all but the most demanding jobs I prefer the 16 finish nailer. I also have a pin nailer I got for an exceptional price but in 5 years I have never used it. I can say that for construction projects around the house and shop. they are hard to beat. I would prefer the 16 gage for doing knock together crafts if you are into that sort of thing but I never use them on furniture which I prefer to do.I simple don't have to repair or hid holes I do not put in.

If painted I prefer the 16 gage over a brad,holds better and patching the holes before painting is the same.
    Tom

Thanks all. I know there's no clear answer on this, and it's almost a religious topic and not so centric to most woodworking. Just hard to know which is better for me in the long run, knowing the remodel is a one time activity and I'll probably have a need for a larger (15 and 16 ga) nail going forward. However, it's not so clear if a 15 or 16, and I won't buy both. With the remodel, definitely doing 1/2" or less white base (from what I hear 18 gauge will be sufficient for that), trimless windows, and around 15 interior doors. The doors are probably best with a 15 gauge, though I can probably borrow a 15 if needed. I guess my only reason to go with a 16 over 15 is that I'm envisioning the hole to patch quite a bit smaller (for painted or stain grade).

For those with practical use of 15 and 16 gauge, is there much of a difference in surface hole size?

For wood working, I use a 18G brad nailer and an 18G narrow crown stapler. I use both frequently. The stapler is for sheet backing on general - non fancy stuff. I'm more of a finish carpenter than a woodworker, and more of a framer than a finish carpenter..... I'm still learning the wood working craft. When I do finish work, I tend to use the brad nailer, but if I need larger fasteners, I prefer the 15G pneumatic over the 16G. Frankly, I don't remember the last time I actually used the 16G nailer. I can't imagine using either for any wood working project. If I need a fastener than robust for a piece of furniture or cabinet I'm making, I'll just use screws.

It totally depends on the details of what you’re doing. As a working carpenter and woodworker, I can tell you I’ve never had the need for a 15 or 16 gauge nailer in shop based woodworking projects. 18 ga brads and 21/23 ga pins can be useful in certain scenarios, but not with a lot of consistency.

In the field (on site work) for finish type work, I like to have the option of 16 ga, 18 ga, and occasionally 23 ga. Depends on if it’s stain grade or paint grade work and what the actual details of the install are. There is no one finish nailer size they will work for all applications. I think you can do a wide range of finish work with a 16 ga finish nailer and an 18 ga Brad nailer.

The only time I’ve used a 15 ga over 16 ga is for hanging interior doors, but even then I prefer to use screws hidden behind the hinges if I can get away with it...more adjustability without much sacrifice in speed. I can’t think of a consistent task in remodeling or Homebuilding where a 15 ga would really pull it’s weight.

I actually like using an 18 ga Brad nailer where many folks would use a 15 or 16 ga in certain trim situations. Well placed 2” brads in stable trim can be plenty strong enough to hold casing, baseboard, etc from falling off the wall. It’s only when you have poor trim stock and bad walls that I feel like a 16 ga is needed for installing something like casing. Plus, I just hate the big rectangular nail hole of a 15 or 16 ga. I tend to do a lot of prefinished stain grade work where that makes more or a difference compared to paint grade which is usually getting a pretty robust putty / sanding regimen prior to final coat of paint.

Just my experience...
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Get both, the 15 and 16 as well as a 18, 21 and 23g.. then a narrow crown, t50 and upholstery staplers.

That assumes you are doing finish / trim carpentry with them.