Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 drawer chest

Thank you.

Can of varnish put up an epic fight....then found the varnish was skimmed over....got rid of the skim...new brush was used. Even the insides, drawers and all, were given a decent coat of clear gloss. Then, noticed I never added a coat to the Stanley No. 71-1/2's case.....oops...corrected that oversight...just on the outsides. Then just tossed the can away....wasn't much left, anyway.

Letting both sit overnight...will rub things out in the morning, if needed. Hope I can get the drawers to open...I did not varnish the undersides, where they slide on....

I think that will about do it, for this little Project...need to take a few better pictures tomorrow...
    Thanks for looking in!

Photo shoot this morning..
    2 drawer chest, Project Post 1.JPG
    Then open the drawers..
    2 drawer chest, Project Post 3.JPG
    And the lid...
    2 drawer chest, Project Post 2.JPG
    Have cleared off the catch-all spot on the Sideboard, plunked this down..and now is filling up..
    2 drawer chest, Project Post 4.JPG
    Twas a shame to throw such grain away...so...
    2 drawer chest, Project Post 5.JPG
    I made use of it, instead....

All from a stack of scraps..
    Resaws, start up.JPG
    All the Hardwood came from this...along with a couple scrap pieces of plywood. "Store Bought" items was the knobs and the hinges...

Came out well....

Already filling up, in it's new home..
    2 drawer chest, new home.JPG
    May have to build another one....

Blog Entries
    Great build – thanks much for sharing all the pictures and descriptions! I really like the dramatic figure in the woods you selected. To my, seems like the design and construction are both well-thought-out and great fit for your needs.

BTW, I have never made finger joints with hand tools I wonder how you compare the ease/execution of those verses dovetails?

All the best, Mike

About the same, either way....if I get bored doing one, I can just do the the other for a while.

I tend to look at the grain's figure, while laying things out, trying for the best match, or look. And, let the grain do the "talking".

Thanks for looking in. ( wonder how this would look, as a full sized Hope Chest...)