Thread: Deck cleaner

Deck cleaner

Had a new deck installed last year. Looking to keep it clean.
    What deck cleaner do you like best?
    Kinda interested in TSP but may not need something that strong for a new deck. ( built end of last summer)

Something else I found on line.
    https://www.bobvila.com/articles/homemade-deck-cleaner/

Deck is treated wood. Handrails are plastic.

SAM_1412_1.JPG
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

A bleach solution on a stained deck, not sure about that one unless you plan to restain after cleaning. Your deck does not appear to be stained.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    A bleach solution on a stained deck, not sure about that one unless you plan to restain after cleaning. Your deck does not appear to be stained.

Not stained yet. Maybe in the future.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

There’s any number of deck cleaners on the market which are either spray on with a garden sprayer or mix and brush into the wood. Why reinvent the wheel?
    I would really suggest you protect that effort with a good protectorate. I use Penofin, but ask your specialty wood seller in your area.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    There’s any number of deck cleaners on the market which are either spray on with a garden sprayer or mix and brush into the wood. Why reinvent the wheel?
    I would really suggest you protect that effort with a good protectorate. I use Penofin, but ask your specialty wood seller in your area.

But sure some are better than others. The reason for my question.
    - Rick Dale

Tried one of the deck cleaners from the big box store years ago. Major disappointment. Someone suggested a bleach solution in water which worked like a charm. Added a little dish detergent to aid in clinging to the surface. A little stiff brush action, wash off with a garden hose and all was well. My deck did not have a stain; just raw wood prior to staining. If you use bleach, be sure to cover any adjacent plants.

This may sound a little off the wall, but, have you considered phosphoric acid?
    As in this stuff, which is 20% PA...
    phacid.jpg
    Reason I bring this up is because part of what you're trying to remove is guck brought down out of the sky when it rains, and whenever you wash the deck with tap water, you're leaving behind calcium deposits. Phosphoric acid is mild as acids go, mixes with and is neutralized by water, and it'll dissolve calcium deposits and such that nothing else will touch. It won't hurt paint, and from what I've read as long as it's rinsed off wood well, it's safe on bare wood. Add it to whatever concoction you come up (oxy-clean sounds good) at around a 4-to-1 ratio and it'll be vinegar-strength.

just a thought
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When it comes to deck cleaners, there are two basic types. Chlorine based (bleach,) and oxalic acid based. The chlorine based one remove the color DAMHIK!

Blog Entries
    I've use deck cleaner (can't remember the brand) that I got from Home Depot. It definitely was not chlorine base. It worked very well, removing the weathered fibers from the surface and leaving new wood. Sprayed it on, scrubbed, rinsed.

For several years, I washed houses, decks and roofs. For a dirty deck it would usually come clean with about a 1% bleach solution. Just apply let it set about 5-10 minutes and rinse. I don’t know how you are setup to apply the solution to your deck. If you let me know I’m sure I can help you out.i never used any of the store bought cleaners. TSP is only needed if you are trying to strip the deck. Remember the only thing you should do with a 0° degree nozzle is throw it out!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt