Thread: Midi lathe choice..?

Midi lathe choice..?

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Laguna 12-36 Midi. or the Rikon 12", 70-220vsr Midi or the newer Nova 14-20 Midi..? Are there any comments on the build quality, power or other performance info?
    thank you,

I received my Rikon 220VSR on Thursday and set it up today. I was quite impressed with the fit and finish. The tail stock centre and drive center lined up perfectly and the machining of the bed was very smooth. Lathe started up with no issue, it was also very easy to change the speed on the pulley. The lathe was shipped on the high speed pulley and I changed it to the middle. No tools required. This is my first experience with Rikon equipment.

My starter lathe was the Rikon 70-220VSR. I still use it even though I upgraded soon after buying it. It is a nice machine for the price. Fit and finish are good. It did everything I wanted it to do. I decided soon after that it just wasn't big enough for me. As I said, I still use it occasionally for smaller turnings. Great machine. If they would have had the Laguna at the time, I would have seriously looked at it.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I picked up a Rikon 70-220VSR back in October after trying one of the new Nova Comet 14 test units. The Rikon replaced a Comet II. It is a solid machine and the longer tailstock travel, 1" post for tool rest, wider bed, and wider foot print make it a much more solid machine when fasten down to bench (shop built, not factory stand). I give it a solid recommendation. I did have a problem with the tach initially, but Rikon supplied all new electrical components (motor, controller, and tach pick-up and cable) and problem solved. I just used the 24 position index last week and another good feature.
    +

Fred, You might want to take a quick look at the new Nova Orion lathe. I don't think it's on the retail market yet but I ordered mine from Teknatool on sale, it's a preproduction model. I've had mine for about a month and I love it. It has an 18" swing, 1 3/4 hp DVR motor and it comes standard with a bed extension giving it 47" between centers if needed. Got mine within three days after placing the order. Go to Teknatool.com and read all about it.